• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which city has better golf.....

livextreme9

Birdie Member
There is a possibility I may be moving to either Salt Lake City or Denver. The question is, which city has better disc golf overall? Local clubs, courses (quantity and quality) and shops. Any info would help. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure but isn't disc golf illegal in Utah?

You can't play before 10 AM or after 1 AM and you have to order food with your round. Unless you belong to a club. Then you don't have to order the food. And you can't bring your own discs in. You have to buy them there, and the store hours are really limited. Or am I thinking of their liquor laws? :confused:

Sorry, OP, I don't know anything about the SLC DG scene.

Last edited:
I live here in CO so my vote is Denver. Great clubs, tons of courses...most of them quality as well as several local disc golf shops. Within an hour drive you have true mountain courses like Bailey and Beaver Ranch, a spectacular pay to play with Jellystone and much more.

But SLC is close to Logan, which is home to an awesome park course but more importantly home to Infinite Discs, the best retailer around.

Colorado

I have played over 110 courses in Colorado and we have great mountain courses. From the ones close to Denver, like Conifer, Bailey and Empire, as well as all the ski resort courses, which you can hike or ride the lifts for free if you have a season ski pass. The views from the top of Vail and Aspen are remarkable.

My favorite courses may be Poncha Springs and Glenwood Springs, but so are many on the western slope and down south.

Having only played in the Salt Lake area, and that 10 years ago, I imagine that Denver has to be better. The only really good course then was Creekside Park.

As for the liquor laws they dropped that club membership and 3.2 % bs about 2005, I think. Doesn't mean their beer got much better, unfortunately.

Last edited:
^^^Back then it was mostly Wasatch and Squatter's [with cutesy names like "Polygamy Porter"]; Uinta at the time only had the Cutthroat pale [meh] and a forgettable hefe. Again, though, these were all 3.2% beers---might as well have drank Bud Light, for the price.

But I read SLC has some newer courses that I'd like to play on my travels. 'Course, I haven't even hit Denver, or KC, or NC, WI, MI----sigh.

Neither one has great golf. If you want great golf you need to be at lower altitudes where grass can grow more thickly and be maintained easier. Now if you meant disc golf...

Denver has some AMAZING courses nearby, like Bucksnort, Conifer, etc. You can also get "legalized" things there, whereas I don't even think you can go dancing in Utah :)

^^^ Did you read anything other than the title?

I think everyone is giving Salt Lake a bit of a hard time. I've played SLC dozens of times and the disc golf scene is no different than anywhere else I've played. There are some great courses in the SLC area including Solitude mountain where the Monster Energy challenge is (ride a ski lift to the top and play down the mountain), Jolley Ranch in Springfield, and If you're willing to travel there's a great course in Moab. I've heard Denver has some awesome courses though.

I think most of the hard time is being given to the state of Utah, not the quality of the DG. When I lived in Colorado, I made many trips to Utah, and it was almost like going to another country. They have (or had, i haven't been there in quite a while) some really restrictive laws about certain things.

I will say that the diverse natural beauty found in Utah is hard to surpass anywhere.

The Scene in Denver and NoCo is great. Lots of people and decent courses. Utah is fun, but lacks the numbers. The issue we have in the front range of Colorado is if you want to play a tourney you better sign up within a half hour of registration opening if you want a chance...

Denver is better. clubs are better, the courses they have to offer are better, and civic communities actually support disc golf and do not shun it like ugly stepchildren as they do in Utah.
I live in Utah and have played many tournaments for many years in Colorado so I know.

That's a valuable perspective. I have played a course or two in utah and they were good but further between and erie atmosphere with the few playing there.

There are literally a half dozen clubs within 30 minutes of denver and you will never be short people to play with.

Looks like Denver is winning. Thanks for all of the input guys. I will be looking into the courses and clubs in Denver.

Neither one has great golf. If you want great golf you need to be at lower altitudes where grass can grow more thickly and be maintained easier. Now if you meant disc golf...

I always wondered why golf wasn't very popular here like it ha seen other places I've lived. Just never cared enough to ask. There's a few nice courses I've driven by but you're right, most of the courses look craptastic.

Thank God we have some many good DISC golf courses here to a make up for it ;)

Latest posts