• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which one would you rather have: power or putting?

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
The Disc Golf Genie grants you one wish:

Pro-level boom boom power.

or

Pro-level putting.

Which would you rather have?

Putting for sure. You can go a long way with short but accurate driving and a really good short game.

Power, if I can park 500' holes, I'll never need to putt.

Putting.

I've had power without putting for years and the grass is always greener on the side of the fence with the people that can putt.

putting but did the genie say x nay on more wishes. what did you use your first two wishes on any way?

Most definitely the putting. Power is great for really long holes and getting you closer to the basket, but if your 25 ft out, and it still takes you 2 or more tries to sink the putt, the power is worthless.

i get beat by a couple grand masters fairly regularly. guys throw around 250', but nail everything inside 40'.

drive for show, putt for dough.;)

Power for me.

I get better at putting when I practice. But power seems to be something that's both difficult to learn and difficult to teach.

Absolutely putting. I've seen plenty of people in the low 900s throwing 400+.

I've also seen people in the high 900s with 300-330 of power. It's the putting game.

if i played more tournaments i would say putting... but i so rarely play competitively.

i would definitely wish for 500' bombs to impress my friends and neighbors then i'd try learn putting on my own.

How much of a reduction of power are we talking about? I am sitting at 400 feet of power. That means that I have a lot of ace run potential and higher parking potential. It also means that I place a lot of discs around 30 or so feet from the basket. My poor putting puts that average at 35 to 50 percent in at best. Also means that I have the nasty habit of missing the putt and putting myself in a position to make the exact same putt on the opposite side. I hate three putting and it happened all too frequently in 2010, a couple of times even during a tournament.

There is this threshold where I do not know what happens, but at 20 feet and in I am a 90 percent putter, usually only missing because I am sloppy or am not concentrating. Yet once I get to 25 feet I drop to about 75 percent and as I said 50 percent or lower once I hit 30 feet. It all depends on my current confidence and the weather.

If we are talking a reduction of power from 400 to 300, I would consider taking the putting wish. Most holes in this area are 330 or less. If we are talking a reduction to 340-350 foot power, then definitely I would take putting. If we are talking 280 feet, then definitely I will keep the power (or in this case since it is a wish, increase it to 500+).

Putting. This game is all about putting. Power is nice but If you can't make your birdies after a long drive whats the point. Although before i could clear 400 consistently I probably would have answered power.

Latest posts