• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which plastic is best for a Rhyno?

bozo181

Pretty much the title. Thinking of getting a putter to use for purely upshots (200 and in for my 300ish arm). Or if anybody has any recommendations for an Innova upshot putter I would be grateful.

I know a Cousin who has a Champion Rhyno he did the hot car method to the disc until it was flexable like the R-Pro or a Ching Juju in Supreme plastic. This was so he could use the disc for driving putter, hill approach, most approach, as well as his putting style that is like how most people line up for a standard putting stance just more putting so hard he is slam putting so hard a normal new unused DX Rhyno would be very warped from hitting the pole, the flexible Champion Rhyno he can bend back to shape more so then DX. That cousins skips needing a strictly putter this way, going to using his approach putter for both approach and putting as well as driving putter that some do with the approach putter.

Best plastic is always dependent on personal preference, amount of use and desired flight characteristics.

What would be the most overstable to least overstable out of the plastics it comes in? (Champion, Gstar, Star, Pro, DX)

Champ should be most OS at least in the long term. Some plastics have runs that start more OS, but Champ takes years to beat in.

What would be the most overstable to least overstable out of the plastics it comes in? (Champion, Gstar, Star, Pro, DX)

In general, Champion is most durable so it starts out a bit more overstable, and will hold that stability a lot longer than other plastics. Generally, Star is next. In theory, G*, RPro(good luck finding a Pro Rhyno for cheap) and DX would follow. There are factors other than plastic that can affect stability. Usually more noticeable in higher speed discs.

Grip is also a separator. Champ tends to be a bit slick, more so in wet conditions or with heavily calloused hands, while RPro and G* are a bit softer, so have a bit more grip as well. DX is good for putting, but some tree hits and it tends to lose stability faster than other plastics.

Hope that helps.

Have you ever thrown a disc with a thumbtack? I'd recommend trying to feel up on one before you buy one. The thumbtrack is pretty unique. I really like it but some people hate it.

I like the Rhyno as a driving putter better than an upshot putter. The Rhyno flys best when it's thrown hard, so it isn't ideal if you need some touch in your upshots. If you need to just mash a putter dead straight for 200-250 feet and not care about the wind, there's no better disc imo. Regarding plastic, I like baseline plastic for putters and approach discs. I will say the Rhyno in dx isn't as overstable as I thought it would be, it's more like a Roc, just dead straight with minimal fade

Pretty much the title. Thinking of getting a putter to use for purely upshots (200 and in for my 300ish arm).

You sound just like me. I throw about 300ish and I use my Rhyno for just about everything under 225'.

I have them in Pro, Champ, DX (new) and R-Pro and that's how I would list them from most OS down. I know many will say the Champ is more stable and usually for most molds it is, but my Pro Rhynos fly more like an Innova Pig. The DX will beat in straighter over time, but new it has more fade than the R-Pro.

May favorite? Hands down the R-Pro. None of the others feel as good in my hand or give me the flights I want.

Good luck in your search...Rhynos are awesome.

I've used the same gstar for approaches, short drives and some windy putting for 4 years or so. It's hardly lost any stability. I like how it's super flat and has some grip. Perfect plastic for me. I have a champ but it's domey, like most champs, and seems to be glidier with similar stability. I just bough a star to try, nice and flat also but it's a bit slick, we'll see how it beats in.

I've seen well used r-pro rhinos that have changed their flight considerably, not necessarily what I want in an approach disc

Best plastic is always dependent on personal preference, amount of use and desired flight characteristics.

Way to weasel out of the question - best plastic is glow champ. It's a CFR disc in that plastic.

That's what you'll see Vinnie throwing on Jomez <3

I know a Cousin who has a Champion Rhyno he did the hot car method to the disc until it was flexable like the R-Pro or a Ching Juju in Supreme plastic. This was so he could use the disc for driving putter, hill approach, most approach, as well as his putting style that is like how most people line up for a standard putting stance just more putting so hard he is slam putting so hard a normal new unused DX Rhyno would be very warped from hitting the pole, the flexible Champion Rhyno he can bend back to shape more so then DX. That cousins skips needing a strictly putter this way, going to using his approach putter for both approach and putting as well as driving putter that some do with the approach putter.

Old post I know, but what is this hot car method you/he speaketh of? Does that consist of simply leaving a champ Rhyno in the car all summer?

Old post I know, but what is this hot car method you/he speaketh of? Does that consist of simply leaving a champ Rhyno in the car all summer?

Casey is no more, we all miss him (not sure what happened I hope he's healthy!!!).

Yes he was referring to leaving it in a car during hot summers...I wouldn't call it a technique but hey Casey is, well, Casey. Typically that only effects dome not the actual feel of the plastic lol

Rhynos take up a good amount of space in my bag. I use the following:
Champ rhynos- drives off the tee, approaches from 200' in, and anhyzer FH runs at the basket to drag out the stability so I don't blow by. Recently purchased these so I do not beat up my GStars and figured since Calvin throws the same one for years, would be a good investment for that slot for years to come.
GStar Rhynos- Spin putts into the wind
XT RhynoX- I use this as a back up for the champ on FH approaches when I want to throw a flatter disc than the champ

I really like that the Rhyno is so slow but still has a nice, consistent fade at the end that isn't really dumpy like my Gator3. with that said, I like it when I do not want any ground action at all. When it hits, it sticks. Recently just started experimenting with other shot shapes and seeing what this disc is otherwise capable of on scoobers, rollers, and short tomahawk lines. Rhyno Nation!

My favorite is Nexus, followed by DX, then stiffer Champion. Nexus grip gives me more of a feeling of control in both BH or FH, and it forms consistently flattish.

I love my white Star i got from the factory store, use it for all approach shots, windy putting and a nice high lofty putt like Barbsy, but my putt is a little better then his cause i invented it.

I like DX Rhynos the best I think. I have a pair. One is best to straight and the other is fresh with more fade.

I have two favorites. Soft Pro/R Pro Rhynos are delightfully low-profile, and feel amazing. I used them for short approaches and windy putting. My Champs had more use, though. I played a short and open course (almost every hole was 200-260 feet), and racked up nearly a dozen hole-in-ones just playing spike hyzers all day long. They were great at sitting right next to the basket if you missed.

Latest posts