• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which Roc do I need?

i prefer the Buzzzs over the rocs - i had a DX Rancho and didnt care for it much - at least i can understand the roc jargon now. And if you want a Roc in better plastic you have to pay through the nose. totally not worth it IMO (DGC had one for 200 bux)

and agreed on the Stratus - if thrown with lots of hyzer i can get some impressive distance with it. It's sort of underrated compared to it's Innova counterpart the stingray - i had a stingray and hated it - thought the rim was too shallow and threw with zero consistency -relegated it to roller duty only. But the X plastic Stratus feels like a dream and i can throw it well.

I prefer to throw a bottom stamped DX Roc. I like the minimalist look.

I'm ready to try a Roc but I don't know which kind to purchase.

It depends on what you want the disc to do and how you throw. Even the size of your hand makes a difference. Every person is different, so there is no "one Roc fits all".

I prefer to throw a bottom stamped DX Roc. I like the minimalist look.

for what it's worth, i like the simple look of the bottom stamp much more than the Roc's vulture stamp.

i think for all DX discs i'd pay the extra buck for the bottom stamp over the regular DX stamps - i dont like them very much

Let's try this again. There are four Roc molds:

1. The original - "Classic Roc" in current production - Considered by many to not be a real roc. Often mistaken as a flattop roc due to it's less domey top.

2. The "San Marino" - 2nd mold - OOP except as CFR - Domier and not as stable as Rancho.

3. The "Ontario" - 3rd mold - OOP except as CFR - Not as stable as "San Marino".

4. The "Rancho" - 4th mold - AKA current production "DX Roc", "KC Pro", "Super Roc", "USDGC Roc", - Most reccommended. Best in DX for quicker breakin.

The "Flat Top" AKA "Ching" just means it's been hot stamped which flattens the top. "Flat Tops" can be either Ontario or Rancho mold and may or may not be legal.

Roc question???

I know nothing about rocs and I also have a question about one, I didnt want to start a new thread and have 3 roc threads so im just gonna ask it here. I found a roc a couple weeks ago at hudson mills, I have never had a roc and was never really interested, mainly because there are so many kinds and plus my "Buzzz FLX" is my go-to mid range, I was hoping someone could help me out a little with this roc, like how good is it? does it have value? is it rare? how does it compare to other rocs? Alright so the roc I found says, "Champion classic Roc", "putt & approach", and on the back it says, "ontario, california", and i'm pretty sure its a glow in the dark disc by looking at the color. Any info on this Roc? thanks

I know nothing about rocs and I also have a question about one, I didnt want to start a new thread and have 3 roc threads so im just gonna ask it here. I found a roc a couple weeks ago at hudson mills, I have never had a roc and was never really interested, mainly because there are so many kinds and plus my "Buzzz FLX" is my go-to mid range, I was hoping someone could help me out a little with this roc, like how good is it? does it have value? is it rare? how does it compare to other rocs? Alright so the roc I found says, "Champion classic Roc", "putt & approach", and on the back it says, "ontario, california", and i'm pretty sure its a glow in the dark disc by looking at the color. Any info on this Roc? thanks
It's a "Classic Roc," the 21.2 original Roc mold (which isn't really the original Roc mold. just based on the original Roc mold, by why confuse things here?) It's basically an XD with a big bead. It is not rare, although it is out of production in Champ plastic. If it is in good shape and you find somebody who throws them, you might get $10.00 for it.

Let's try this again. There are four Roc molds:

1. The original - "Classic Roc" in current production - Considered by many to not be a real roc. Often mistaken as a flattop roc due to it's less domey top.

2. The "San Marino" - 2nd mold - OOP except as CFR - Domier and not as stable as Rancho.

3. The "Ontario" - 3rd mold - OOP except as CFR - Not as stable as "San Marino".

4. The "Rancho" - 4th mold - AKA current production "DX Roc", "KC Pro", "Super Roc", "USDGC Roc", - Most reccommended. Best in DX for quicker breakin.

The "Flat Top" AKA "Ching" just means it's been hot stamped which flattens the top. "Flat Tops" can be either Ontario or Rancho mold and may or may not be legal.
A Ching Roc is perfectly legal. It is sold from Innova that way. It is not a post-production modification if it is done by the manufacturer.

The reason it is NOT legal if you use the boiling water trick to do it is because you did it after it was sold, so now it is a post-production modification. It does not matter that you can get on from the manufacturer that looks the same way, not by how the rule is written.

AND...just a note on the flat top Roc, they BLOW! When they are new they are great, but as they beat in they become unpredictable squirrely little bastards. For me the whole magic of a Roc is that I can buy one new and have it fill the overstable mid slot in my bag. Given some time and some beating in, that same disc will be a great long-range straight mid. Over more time that same disc will become a predictable turnover mid. The flat tops do not do that. They are super as an overstable mid, and once they beat in they are a good stable flyer, but after that they are unpredictable junk. If you throw the flat tops, you will end up looking for an understable mid to use for that shot, because your flat-top Roc will not fill that slot.

A Ching Roc is perfectly legal. It is sold from Innova that way. It is not a post-production modification if it is done by the manufacturer.

The reason it is NOT legal if you use the boiling water trick to do it is because you did it after it was sold, so now it is a post-production modification. It does not matter that you can get on from the manufacturer that looks the same way, not by how the rule is written.

AND...just a note on the flat top Roc, they BLOW! When they are new they are great, but as they beat in they become unpredictable squirrely little bastards. For me the whole magic of a Roc is that I can buy one new and have it fill the overstable mid slot in my bag. Given some time and some beating in, that same disc will be a great long-range straight mid. Over more time that same disc will become a predictable turnover mid. The flat tops do not do that. They are super as an overstable mid, and once they beat in they are a good stable flyer, but after that they are unpredictable junk. If you throw the flat tops, you will end up looking for an understable mid to use for that shot, because your flat-top Roc will not fill that slot.

Well, I guess I better get some more good use out if it, while it is still predictable. It is a sad thing, but as I can't imagine you being wrong, the future of my disc is looking rather bleak! I am glad my go to disc is really my Stratus. It is at least simple and they all seems to fly the same...so far. :eek:

Well, I guess I better get some more good use out if it, while it is still predictable. It is a sad thing, but as I can't imagine you being wrong, the future of my disc is looking rather bleak! I am glad my go to disc is really my Stratus. It is at least simple and they all seems to fly the same...so far. :eek:
But see...you are covered. You don't need your Ching Roc to beat into an understable mid if you also carry a Stratus.

The whole point of using Rocs for me is so that I don't HAVE to carry a Stratus or any other sort of discs whose uses overlap with something else I'm carrying. I'm a minimalist. My right now bag looks like this:
Three Wizards-All putts and approaches
Six Rocs-All mid-range shots. I really only throw three, but I throw them a lot so I lose them a lot. I carry three back-ups.
Three Cyclones-All control drives
Two Valkyries-All distance drives
Two EXP1's-Overstable driver, forehand and overhand shots
Sometimes I carry more like seven molds, but that about as many as I'll carry. I don't want to mess around with getting comfortable with the feel of a bunch of different discs if I can use the same disc for a variety of shots. I use Wizards and Rocs because they start out fairly overstable and beat into discs that can cover the whole spectrum of shots. I use Cyclones and Valks because they are pretty neutral-stable for my power level, so I can put some hyzer or anhyzer on them and execute different shots with them. I carry and overstable driver because, well, sometimes you just need and overstable driver. I don't need an understable driver as a beat Cyclone or Valk will do just fine.

Now, I could take the Rocs out of my bag and carry a Discraft Drone for very overstable midrange shots, a Discraft Wasp for overstable mid-range shots, a Discraft Buzzz for stable to slightly overstable midrange shots, a Discraft Comet for stable to understable midrange shots and a Discraft Meteor for understable midrange shots. There really is nothing wrong with that, as you would cover the spectrum of shots pretty well with those discs. They all feel different, so you would have to adjust your grip according to which one you use. You would have to have more practice time to get familiar with five discs as opposed to one. And sometimes you will be sitting on the tee looking at a shot trying to decide "should I use the Comet or the Meteor" and worrying more about the disc you are going to use rather than what you need to do to execute the shot. But plenty of people take that approach and carry 10-12 different molds, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just choose to do it another way, and for my way I have found that the Roc works best.

It's a "Classic Roc," the 21.2 original Roc mold (which isn't really the original Roc mold. just based on the original Roc mold, by why confuse things here?) It's basically an XD with a big bead. It is not rare, although it is out of production in Champ plastic. If it is in good shape and you find somebody who throws them, you might get $10.00 for it.

thanks!

But see...you are covered. You don't need your Ching Roc to beat into an understable mid if you also carry a Stratus.

The whole point of using Rocs for me is so that I don't HAVE to carry a Stratus or any other sort of discs whose uses overlap with something else I'm carrying. I'm a minimalist. My right now bag looks like this:
Three Wizards-All putts and approaches
Six Rocs-All mid-range shots. I really only throw three, but I throw them a lot so I lose them a lot. I carry three back-ups.
Three Cyclones-All control drives
Two Valkyries-All distance drives
Two EXP1's-Overstable driver, forehand and overhand shots
Sometimes I carry more like seven molds, but that about as many as I'll carry. I don't want to mess around with getting comfortable with the feel of a bunch of different discs if I can use the same disc for a variety of shots. I use Wizards and Rocs because they start out fairly overstable and beat into discs that can cover the whole spectrum of shots. I use Cyclones and Valks because they are pretty neutral-stable for my power level, so I can put some hyzer or anhyzer on them and execute different shots with them. I carry and overstable driver because, well, sometimes you just need and overstable driver. I don't need an understable driver as a beat Cyclone or Valk will do just fine.

Now, I could take the Rocs out of my bag and carry a Discraft Drone for very overstable midrange shots, a Discraft Wasp for overstable mid-range shots, a Discraft Buzzz for stable to slightly overstable midrange shots, a Discraft Comet for stable to understable midrange shots and a Discraft Meteor for understable midrange shots. There really is nothing wrong with that, as you would cover the spectrum of shots pretty well with those discs. They all feel different, so you would have to adjust your grip according to which one you use. You would have to have more practice time to get familiar with five discs as opposed to one. And sometimes you will be sitting on the tee looking at a shot trying to decide "should I use the Comet or the Meteor" and worrying more about the disc you are going to use rather than what you need to do to execute the shot. But plenty of people take that approach and carry 10-12 different molds, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just choose to do it another way, and for my way I have found that the Roc works best.

Wow, bro. That does make me feel better. I just upped the number of discs I carry recently. I was carrying just 3 discs for a long time and am now up to 7/8. Although, like you, I have back ups in my car just in case. If I were to play a tournament , I would certainly bring my extras with me. I may have to rethink this whole thing. Although I have to tell you I think you should should start a Three-Putt's analyze your bag thread for the fun of it! I would love for you to tell me what I am missing or what I have duplicates of and probably don't need.
I have a feeling that is where I am really at. Heck even if you are not into this I think it would make a great thread for a bunch of people to throw their opinions in anyway. Look Here

Ok...I think this is it...There are four Roc molds:

1. The original '87-'92 - "Classic Roc" in current production '95-present - Considered by many to not be a real roc. Often mistaken as a flattop roc due to it's less domey top.

2. The "San Marino" '88-'94 - A few are still produced each year for CFR program - Not as stable as Rancho.

3. The "Ontario" '94-'97 - A few are still produced each year for CFR program - Not as stable as "San Marino".

4. The "Rancho" '97-current - AKA any new "DX Roc", all "KC Pro", all "Super Roc", all "USDGC Roc", - A DX Rancho Roc is considered by many to be the best due to straight predictable flight after breakin period.

The "Flat Top" AKA "Ching" just means it's been hot stamped which flattens the top. "Flat Tops" can be any of the 4 molds and are legal as long as the manufacturer does the hot stamping. They are faster and more stable after stamping than in their original mold. Flattops tend to lose their predictablity as they become seasoned.

I started this thread because everytime I pickup a dx roc, and think about buying it, I end up putting it back, because I'm not sure if it's the one the pro's are talking about when they say "learn how to throw a roc".

Thanks for everyones help. Now I know that a classic roc it the one I need. Just kidding. Now I know that a plain old $6.00 dx roc is the one to buy.

Thanks again!

AND...just a note on the flat top Roc, they BLOW! When they are new they are great, but as they beat in they become unpredictable squirrely little bastards.

Whatever! IMO, these are the BEST type of Rocs. Overstable when new, great long distance straight as they beat in, and eventually they become very predictable turnover drivers. Very gradual beat-in process, never squirrely. Not sure what you're throwing...

AND...just a note on the flat top Roc, they BLOW! When they are new they are great, but as they beat in they become unpredictable squirrely little bastards.

Whatever! IMO, these are the BEST type of Rocs. Overstable when new, great long distance straight as they beat in, and eventually they become very predictable turnover drivers. Very gradual beat-in process, never squirrely. Not sure what you're throwing...
You are right, I overstated an opinion. For me and a lot of players I have talked to, the Ching Rocs beat in squirrely. However I have talked to other players who swear by them and say they beat in great. So at best it's a toss up, and I should have presented it more objectively.

You are right, I overstated an opinion. For me and a lot of players I have talked to, the Ching Rocs beat in squirrely. However I have talked to other players who swear by them and say they beat in great. So at best it's a toss up, and I should have presented it more objectively.
Compared to good Rocs they blow, compared to most of the other flippy midranges that are out there they're not really that bad.

Latest posts