• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whiskers

They must be raving either about having C1 whiskered or perhaps the cosmetics of them. The first time I saw whiskers on a course both C1 and C2 were whiskered in different colors eye appealing, and nice to know the distance I was putting from instead of estimating, and fun for a first time. There was another course 17 of the 18 C1's were whiskered except for a basket sitting on a wooden block on a mound. There was one whisker on the wooden block next to the basket pole. No idea what that meant.

We worked with a couple park systems to get C1 whiskers installed. Like I said, many casual and tournament players thought they were great. We essentially did it to save us from marking C1 circles, for our A Tiers. Of course, several other clubs running A Tiers benefited as well.

They did not get too trashed by mowers, but they really lost their color. We discussed them lasting a couple years, with the parks. I am not sure we will get two out of them. Maybe different brands would fare better?

I saw on Virginia Beach's newest course Northgate this morning, blue whiskers for the first time marking a creek, all along the creek for two holes about 850 feet. I've only seen at other courses white stakes only or red stakes with white rope marking the boundary with penalty.

Are the blue whiskers warning me about water and play it out of the creek as I've played other courses with no penalty, or could it be another marker for a penalty? May have the answer in a few weeks, tee posts have been installed, and the signs soon to follow. Maybe the O.B will be on a map.

I played a course this summer that used a line of blue stakes to mark a hazard penalty, as opposed to white stakes for O.B. In this case, the basket on a short par three was placed atop a very tall boulder, sticking out from a steep hillside. The blue stakes were on either side of the boulder, lined up perpendicular to the tee. So the deal was: if you go for the basket and land past it, you play from your lie, with a stroke added.

Latest posts