• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why we love disc golf

TWO CROWS

Par Member
ive been playing disc golf for eight months now and loving every second. I thought we could spread a little DG love and talk about why we got hooked and can't stop throwing discs. For me it started as something to get me out of the house and off my a$$. From the first time i played i could'nt stop thinking about going out again it's like there's something special about it. Since I started playing ive lost about twenty pounds and made a few new friends. I just love this sport! Does everyone feel like this? Maybe someone can tell me why this sport takes a part of you. Just look at the addicted to dg thread, that's insane :D

It gave me something to do with my arms. I've been an avid skateboarder for a decade, so after wearing out my legs I have something I can use my upper body for. They share a lot of similarities, like the gradual progression you can see in yourself as you practice, fine tuning techniques, the ability to develop your own personal take on it etc. If people here think I'm adamant about throwing putters, they should see how I feel about boneless's and manuals...

I also just love to be outside. I found out some of the parks I used to go to just to walk around had baskets too. I just feel wrong if it's a nice day and I'm inside.

The fact that disc golf is free got me into it.

I started after I graduated High School. While I was in High School, I played on the ball golf team so I got onto all of the courses for free. I was hooked on the sport and spent all of my free time playing it. After I graduated, I all of a sudden had to pay to play ball golf, and that got expensive quick. I had to stop playing so much, but I hate to be indoors, so when I saw a sign for disc golf at the park one day, I had to learn about it. The next day, I went to the course with a frisbee and met someone at the first tee that let me borrow some discs so I wouldn't have to use the frisbee. I have been hooked since.

A friend from Wisconsin got me into it. I love watching the discs fly and the precision of it though. Wish I'd found out about it before I was 33 tho. Another reason I play is that I had to give up regular golf years ago due to expense and my inability to see the ball past about 140 yards.

There is just something HIGHLY addicting about the flight of a disc (when you get it right). Whether it's throwing a long bomber down a hill or threading a shot through a wooded fairway, it's just addicting.. People ask me why I play sooooo much? And I reply with, "what hobbies do you have?".. I haven't gotten an answer that's really made think I had a serious problem yet.. So I continue to huck...

1. Being outside

So many of us now are stuck indoors for our jobs, being in the woods or sunshine is a blessing in itself.

2. Friends

Most discgolfers are good people and they are easy to get along with since you share a common bond.

3. Cheap

The price is right...until you start entering tournaments that you have to travel to. Hotels, gas and the fact they start charging you $50 or so to play add up quick. But casual golf around where you live is free!

4. Fun

What's not to love? We get the same challenge and fulfillment that ball golfers get at a fraction of the price. The fact that the chains sing to you when you hole out. The target is huge, we get amazing ace runs all the time so we have added excitement. Discgolf = fun.

Living in a part of the country that gets winter, I also feel guilty when it's nice out and I'm not outside.

I've always been athletic and competetive. I like the challenge of the course while I'm hiking through the woods. And Disc Golf is ALOT more pet friendly. I couldn't see bringing my dog on a ball golf course.

It's the competition and the comraderie. Disc golf has become a major part of my life. When I got into it I had the desire to be a competitive pro. I worked hard at it. It taught me how to achieve my goals. And because of disc golf I quit the drugs and alcohol that were holding me back. I had to get up every weekend and go compete. I had to buy nice vehicles to get to tournaments. I maintained a fulltime job and it spilled over into my profession. I could no longer be a flunky. I moved up into my company and now i'm doing quite well.

Work hard and you will be rewarded.

I do it to get out of the hizzy, my wife is as addicted as me, my daughter tolerates it, and with all the stuff we have done with women disc golf it gives me a chance to do something productive.

I started back in the mid 70s playing as a kid with Frisbees around the neighborhood. We played most every day all summer long for a couple of summers. One day we discovered a 'Frisbee Golf' course at a park not far from where I lived. It was cedar post targets to begin and shortly there after they installed baskets.

We played for several years...riding our bikes to the park and then one day in high school a friend saw something in the creek at the course. It was a golf disc. Several days later we all jumped in the creek and pulled out 30-40 discs. Life has never been the same.

It used to be for the friendship and being outside. Now, that I'm over 40, its the joy I get from playing with my three boys and from helping grow the sport with selling and designing an occasional course and putting on events that people want to play.

It's used to be what it did for me, now it's seeing my efforts bring enjoyment to my kids and other players.

because i'm unemployed and live in a very uneventful state that just turns out to be a hotbed of disc golf

2 bonus points for using "hotbed" and "Iowa" in a sentence.

having travelled all over the country i'll give Iowa 2 thumbs up. The 1st is for the Iowa State Fair, the largest in the country and the 2nd is for the Lumberyard. Got wood? Best strip club i've ever been to. Hanging out with Miss Nude Universe wasn't bad either.

Latest posts