• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why we love disc golf

having travelled all over the country i'll give Iowa 2 thumbs up. The 1st is for the Iowa State Fair, the largest in the country and the 2nd is for the Lumberyard. Got wood? Best strip club i've ever been to. Hanging out with Miss Nude Universe wasn't bad either.

the 'yard is the only nice strip club around here, everywhere else is nothing but afternoon-shift dogs. actual adult stars come through, too, and perform at the lumberyard

2 bonus points for using "hotbed" and "Iowa" in a sentence.

its funny because there are local news stations that run ads for themselves and show a bunch of people doing iowa stuff (being overweight, sitting out front of shops in small towns, fishing) and twice they've shown footage of someone sinking a long put in disc golf.

i guess its nice to have SOMETHING to hang out hats on besides producing some of the best mat wrestlers in the world

Disc golf expands my space.

I mean, you stand there on the tee, a disc in your hand, and concentrate on your form. Then your attention goes to the basket, 300-400 feet away. You focus on your line, the trees, take in the scenery, and then it's back to the tee box as you go through your throw. Then it's down the fairway, following the disc that YOU CAUSED to fly, watching it go further, further toward (hopefully) the pin. Then it's back to where you are, pick up your bag.

You walk to your lie, talking with your buddies, digging the scenery all around you - you reach your disc and again, you start with your stance, then focus on the basket, then your throw, then the flight of the disc ...

It's a continual process of your attention going far away and then close, close and then far away, and the whole thing just expands your space wa-a-a-a-ay out there!

I know I came home the other day after a quick round and my wife says, "You're so happy!"

I say, "I just played a round!"

She says, "Yeah, you're always happy after you play!"

No kidding :D

Originally I loved it for all the reasons previously listed. Good exercise, being outside, watching myself get better. Now, it has become something much more. About a year and a half ago, I met the woman of my dreams, and she has a then 14-year old son. After getting to know him, I was looking for something that we had in common. Then I taught him disc golf. We play about two rounds a week together, and it is a great way for he and I to just hang out. Those few hours really are the highlights of my week. The only problem now is that he is getting too good....it's tough for me to keep my pride in check and accept that it won't be too much longer until he is beating me pretty consistently! :clap:

This sums it up for me. (Most of it is filmed at my home course)

*intentionally airballs a putt while zenny is standing near the basket to hit him in the nuts*

I just watched the video too. I liked it so much that I had to post it to Facebook. Maybe some of my friends will see it and start asking about the sport. Then I can get them hooked.

Thanks for that Zen it really is what it's all about. Good friends, nature, and that perfect rip that just makes your day.

Something like that. Have you ever seen the movie Babe? The one with the talking pig that has a toupée? Think of the noise he would make if a chimney fell on his hind quarters.

Chimney...hind quarters...squealing...hhhmmm...

DG is all about a relaxed activity outdoors with good people. It's a way of life; you'll love it.

It gave me something to do with my arms. I've been an avid skateboarder for a decade, so after wearing out my legs I have something I can use my upper body for. They share a lot of similarities, like the gradual progression you can see in yourself as you practice, fine tuning techniques, the ability to develop your own personal take on it etc. If people here think I'm adamant about throwing putters, they should see how I feel about boneless's and manuals...

I also just love to be outside. I found out some of the parks I used to go to just to walk around had baskets too. I just feel wrong if it's a nice day and I'm inside.

Yeah I had been skating since '89. Finally hung it up about 2 yrs ago. Disc golf for me is the same obsession.. it's all about progression. Hey that rhymed.