• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WI/MN Disc Golf Trip

Texconsinite

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Im planning a 9 day DG extravaganza next year sometime for myself and some friends from the SW(TX, AZ, maybe Mexico) Its somewhat of a pipedream right now, and nothing is set in stone, but I am optimistic about putting it together and making it happen. The plan is to have everyone fly into the Twin Cities on a Friday(or Saturday), and go from there. My goal is for these visitors to get a great tour of the area in between getting a great tour of Nor'woods DG. In light of all the recent posts of planned DG trips, I thought I'd put mine up here for comments.

Friday Afternoon
Fly In Throughout the day (Avengers assemble!!)
Play Plymouth Creek, 18 holes (by Airport, play btw trips to the airport if flights arrive at diff times)
Visit "Gotta Go Gotta Throw" to Stock up for the Week
Head to N Arden Hills
Play Acorn Park (18), Bethel College (9 holes, play twice from dual tees) (till dark)

Night...Stay with friends, tour UM bars:cool:

Saturday
Play Acorn Park again, and/or Lakewood Hills (14) as warm up for
Drive SE to Inver Grove Heights
Play North Valley Park (18)
Play nearby Kaposia Park (24)

Night...Stay with Friends/recover from Kaposia/Enjoy the Famous "Juicy Lucy" Hamburger at Matt's Hamburger Bar

Sunday
Drive North of Twin Cities,
Play Ham Lake DGC (9)?, as warmup for
Play Blue Ribbon Pines (27), Play once or twice
Head east, across MN/WI border to Cabin
Play "El Castigador" Home Course (9) at Cabin

Night..Stay at Cabin

Monday
Head south to Menomonie, play Lamb's Creek (9)
Drive to Chippewa Falls
Go on the Leinenkugel's Brewery Tour
Play Tower Ridge I & II (18 each) in Eau Claire
Return to Cumberland (Cabin)
Shop for Food
Night...Pack for Camping, Cabin

Tuesday
Drive North to Fiddlers Creek (18)
Go to Hayward- Shops, Eat at the Original "Famous Daves"
Drive to Highbridge, WI!!!!!
Play Chestnut Grove (9)

Night...Setup Campsite at Highbridge

Wednesday & Thursday
Play Courses at Highbridge sunup to sundown
(4x18 hole courses, 1x9 hole course on site)

Night...Camp at Highbridge

Friday
A Little more Highbridge
Drive to Lac Du Flambeau
Play Sandy Pines (27)
Drive back to Cabin
Play "El Castigador"

Night...Cabin

Saturday
Return to Twin Cities, Replay Favorite Courses from the Week
(Kaposia, NorthValley)

Night...Stay with Friends

Sunday
Play Basset Creek (12)
Revisit GGGT, play Highland (18) & Bryant Lake (18)
Visit Mall of America

Evening... Fly out

Play Plymouth Creek, 18 holes (by Airport, play btw trips to the airport if flights arrive at diff times)
Are you sure you're thinking of Plymouth Creek? Last I remember it was only 12 holes and not by the airport.

I'm also assuming you're talking about Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area and not Highland Park. Hyland is an 18 hole, pay to play course off of 494 west of 35W and Highland is a 9 hole free course in St. Paul near 35E.

Either way it sounds like a fun trip.

Plymouth creek is now an 18 hole pay to play, it switched in july. The new holes are pretty cool
An yes I mean Hyland ski and snowboard Area.

Yeah you'd be insane not to play Highbridge when in the region, you may end up staying there for the rest of the trip so plan extra time! Tower Ridge is another you cannot take off your list.
Heistand, Yulga are good northern WI courses too.
If you somehow get extra time, take the ferry across the lake to Ludington, MI to play Beauty, Beast, Goliath all in one spot (host of MI state champs) and Leviathan a few miles away.

I agree. Sandy Point is def on the list, I have just erroneously labelled it "Sandy Pines" on my original post. So, Sandy Pines = Sandy Point

Are you sure you're thinking of Plymouth Creek? Last I remember it was only 12 holes and not by the airport.

I'm also assuming you're talking about Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area and not Highland Park. Hyland is an 18 hole, pay to play course off of 494 west of 35W and Highland is a 9 hole free course in St. Paul near 35E.

Either way it sounds like a fun trip.

Plymouth Creek is in Plymouth which is Northwest of the airport by a fair bit. Never played the course though but it looks good. I would recommend Bryant Lake which is actually closer to the airport and a great course. Check out Oak Wood in Cottage Grove and C.P. Adams in Hastings if you get a chance, both nice courses.

Have a great trip!

Thanks Marv. I misspoke. I should have said Bryant Lake, which IS right next to the airport, and is 18 hole pay-to play.

Between Oak Wood and CP Adams, which one would you say is better

Thanks Marv. I misspoke. I should have said Bryant Lake, which IS right next to the airport, and is 18 hole pay-to play.
That makes a lot more sense. I just don't want your plans to get messed up because of mixups about course names.

If you're a local you should check out Plymouth Creek just for hole 8. I wouldn't plan vacation around it, though.

My only other question is that if you're jusing a Juicy Lucy to recover from disc golf, what are you going to use to recover from the Juicy Lucy? ;)

My two cents --

I strongly prefer Oakwood over CP Adams. Oakwood isn't the greatest course ever, and most people are quick to pass it up for Kaposia or North Valley, but to me it's a quintessential Minnesota 18, and quite worth the stop.

FRIDAY:

- I once tried to find the GGGT store, and got lost and never found it. (and I lived in the area) Maybe I was just confused, but there's also a great DG store really close to Acorn Park called Fairway Flyerz, run by the guy who used to co-own GGGT (I think). I'd recommend a stop there when you're going to Acorn.

-The course to run over to between stops at the airport is Eagan DGC, which is less than 10 minutes away and a very fun & quiet little neighborhood 9. Or maybe Highland Park (9) in St. Paul, which is always busy.

SATURDAY:

-As for your northern Twin Cities area stops, I would definitely try to fit in Silverview Park, even possibly instead of Bethel (a somewhat hard course to navigate on a very private campus). It's really close to the Bethel course. I lived near Silverview for several years and just found it a happy, diverse little 9 that could be played over and over.

-I'm not a big fan of Lakewood Hills, which with 14 holes and some crossing fairways feels kind of permanently half-finished. That's just my opinion; it's well-located though, I suppose, for your Twin Cities agenda.

SUNDAY:

-After Blue Ribbon Pines and on your way to Cumberland, don't overlook The Ponds at Linwood in Stacy, MN, a tough little 9 on a creek. It's kinda right on the way, if you're going how I think you are.

MONDAY:

-In Menomonie, it would be hard to pass up Wakanda Park, a very pretty 18 in a hilly park by a lake.

Okay, that was more like my twenty cents, but I hope that was helpful. Sounds like a lot of fun!

- I once tried to find the GGGT store, and got lost and never found it. (and I lived in the area)
So I'm not the only one. I lived closer to GGGT than any of the actual courses but I never found it. From what I understand they've moved from their location "on Lyndale" and are in Golden Valley now. I'd hope it's eaiser to find now.

My only other question is that if you're jusing a Juicy Lucy to recover from disc golf, what are you going to use to recover from the Juicy Lucy? ;)

Tums.

GGGT is easy to find if you just call their number and get directions from them. They are in Golden Valley, right on the major highway I used to take to get to Hyland and Bryant Lake from my house in Arden Hills.

Ah... the mythical GGGT store really exists, huh? Well, I live 1,100 miles to the east of it now, but it's good to know!

And I didn't realize you were so familiar with the Cities already, Texcon, so some of my long-winded input may have been totally obvious to you. Sorry about that! But yeah, now that I'm an ex-Twin Cities resident myself, I'm sure I'll be planning a reunion tour one of these years to play all my old favorites. Fun stuff.