• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wicked Shin Splints...any suggestions?

climbingbubba

Birdie Member
Like the title says, I get wicked shin splints and a little bit of knee pain in my right let when I throw a lot of RHBH. Typically its when i play 2 round days 3-4 times a week. I have to take ibuprofen before and after just to get by. The problem is far worse when i go to an open field and throw drives from the grass.

Any help with this? I already tried better shoes. it helped some but it still hurts.

Im kind of guessing im not pivoting correctly on my front foot which is causing a twisting when i pivot.

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, help?

I say boy, don't try to play through it. You will end up with a stress fracture and a walking boot. Learn to pivot from a standstill. Check the technique sticky about foot pivot.

stretch.

you're over working that small muscle/tendon (whatever it is) running up your shin. ice it, stretch, and rest. there's nothing you can do really other then wait for it to go away.

Ice them down as soon as you can. I'd take a couple weeks off, a few days of ice and a few days of heat. I'd look into a compression sleeve to wear when you play too. You might want to try going barefoot or getting some Vibram Five Fingers to strengthen your muscles (if you go this route, do it gradually b/c there is a very real possibility of overdoing it, it's a difficult transition going from shoes to shoeless).

:confused:

maybe you need to ease into the amount of walking you're doing...don't go hard in the paint from the get-go. build your "stamina" up.

^Lol.

Admit it OP, you got mad from the Deron Williams trade and kicked your coffee table. :|

I used to get them so bad and then one day I was playing Hawk Hollow and stepped off of a log and snap, there went my ankle. I went to the hospital and nothing was broken but I had swelling and a pretty blue foot. For 2 weeks it hurt to walk and in turn I injured my knee because I was trying to throw differently. I was funny to watch while limping all over the course. I won a "B" tier in that condition. I never had shin splints again. I honestly believe I learned to walk differently during those few weeks.

^Lol.

Admit it OP, you got mad from the Deron Williams trade and kicked your coffee table. :|

Ha ha, everyone in utah gave up on the jazz when Karl Malone, John Stockton, and jeff hornacek all left.

Besides, what better way to end an already crappy season then by trading off your star player...

Thanks for the comments. I really think its the way im pivoting and once its inflamed even walking hurts. If i only throw FH it won't start hurting. Its only when i throw a lot of BH and its worse when i empty my bag off the tee or practice in a park.

I have been off winter pretty much so I got plenty of rest. I think i'll work on stretching more and being lighter on my feet.

The five finger shoes do look awesome but i don't know if they would fit my feet. I got size 11's with narrow feet and fingers for toes (really long).

The real key here is to address where these come from. Drink more water, and I mean actually drink 64-72oz of water a day. Also be sure to stretch everyday when you first wake up and right before you play, its important to stretch when you wake up so you are no causing yourself pain all day and changing the way to walk which can cause more damage. Honestly drinking more water should really solve shin splints for most people, including myself who used to have to miss classes because of this same problem.

beforeyou play walk backwards for 5 minutes or so

i used to get them when iplayed baseball and basketball until i started doing this

also stretch, ice is overrated but not bad too

Like some have said, you have to ease back into the amount you play after taking the winter off.

Try just playing 1 round per day instead of two for a couple weeks, then work up the hole count again.

As I approach the age of 48 I tell myself every day that I should stretch at least once before I reach 50. I guess it's a good thing that I drink a huge amount of water every day. Maybe that's why I don't need to stretch.

I had the same problem last month. Starting in mid-January I played 2 rounds a day with practice throws. My shins were really sore, to the point of limping. Now I stretch for 15 min and drink a lot of water. After 2 weeks the pain subsided. I'll take a hot bath when the pain is really bad, even though I don't think that's recommended. My body took a month to cope with the muscle stress. Sounds like you might have a worse case.

Like some have said, you have to ease back into the amount you play after taking the winter off.

Try just playing 1 round per day instead of two for a couple weeks, then work up the hole count again.

Im not getting them now. I got them all summer (my first season). If i played twice a week I was usually fine but any more and it started to hurt.

I also used to get them in basketball back in high school.

I will ease back into it though this year. The weather has been helping me with that one. going to try to head out today after class if the snow can wait and this crazy wind dies down.

I had the same problem last month. Starting in mid-January I played 2 rounds a day with practice throws. My shins were really sore, to the point of limping. Now I stretch for 15 min and drink a lot of water. After 2 weeks the pain subsided. I'll take a hot bath when the pain is really bad, even though I don't think that's recommended. My body took a month to cope with the muscle stress. Sounds like you might have a worse case.

It sounds about the same. It did cause me to limp quite bad on the rough days. I will start stretching more and I already drink a ton of water but i guess i can always drink more