• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter bag set up

Got a pic?

I don't believe so. I can take one once we get enough snow here in SE Wisconsin.

Just take about 18" - 2' of thin, bright Christmas ribbon and attach it to the underside of the disc with Gorilla duct tape.

Works like a charm. :thmbup:

Got a pic?

Here's one. When the disc goes in at a hyzer angle, the christmas ribbon will stick out of the snow showing you where your disc is.

orcribbon.jpg

More understable. Bright colors. Base plastic. Lot less discs.

I don't add ribbons. Makes the discs fly differently. I haven't lost a disc during winter in awhile. Just have to watch where it goes in the snow.

our winters don't get too bad but i think i'm going to not play nearly as much and let my shoulder get back to full potential. the bit of throwing i do will be slower stuff in base plastic. lots of wizards and dx rocs.

More understable. Bright colors. Base plastic. Lot less discs.

I don't add ribbons. Makes the discs fly differently. I haven't lost a disc during winter in awhile. Just have to watch where it goes in the snow.

I've never noticed any drastic difference in flight pattern with ribbons attached.

We get a lot, lot, of leaves on the ground starting in October. I take out yellow and orange discs and put in blue and green.

As it gets cooler I primarily carry and use FLX plastic. I cannot get a good grip with stiffer plastic. A soft Judge and really flexible SSS Wizard work well too.

Thanks.:thmbup:

It really works great. Thin ribbon is key.

AND NO YARN! :)

I saw a couple using yarn on their discs and thought, "that looks like a bad idea".

My buddy and I ended up playing through them when they were trying to retrieve a disc that had gotten hung up in a tree because of the yarn.

After this morning's round at Kaposia, making a few bag tweaks:

Remove OPTO / VIP plastic and replace with GL / Tournament / RGL / BIO equivalents. Lose some stability in the switch, but make up for it with much better grip. Curiously, Lucid seems to have pretty consistent grip; it loses some flexibility but still responds to frozen fingertips. :thmbup:

Also switch to Classic SOFT putters. Just couldn't get the finger pop (must be the near frostbite...) to get the required spin...

I pretty much only have Discraft discs with a few DGA's. And most the molds I throw regularly are available in FLX plastic. So I have a separate winter bag (DGA Elite Shield) with FLX Avenger SS, XL, Pred, Surge, Surge SS, Buzz, Drone and Challenger. The only ones that are not FLX are a ESP Meteor and Zone, Proline Undertow, and Z Hornet (that is actually pretty grippy and flexy). All discs are blue, purple, or green with the exception of the FLX Pred because I just cannot find it in blue or purple. I use ribbon when we get more than a few inches of snow.
That's it as far as bag changes. As far as gear and preparedness I could go on for a while. Maybe there is another thread for that where I could elaborate more sometime. I work outside too, so I have learned to stay comfortable in the cold for long periods of time. I kinda actually love winter discin.

It really works great. Thin ribbon is key.

AND NO YARN! :)

I saw a couple using yarn on their discs and thought, "that looks like a bad idea".

My buddy and I ended up playing through them when they were trying to retrieve a disc that had gotten hung up in a tree because of the yarn.

Are you taping the ribbon to the rim or the center or does it matter?

firm vp's come out and mediums go in. I take out high speed drivers. I put in light weight gummy champ leopards and a medium weight s-fd. I end up throwing those for most of my drives.

Take out your money putter! It is the only disc in your bag that is supposed to come into contact with something on every hole, and that something just so happens to be stiff, cold, unyielding metal. The temperature drop makes everything stiffer, the metal on the basket, the plastic your putter is made out of. Putters can easily split or crack when exposed to the elements and then bashed repeatedly into cold metal. Replace your putters with gummier, softer plastic. The gummy plastic will stiffen up from the cold and you won't notice the softness as much.

Also remove all KC pro plastic, PERIOD! These break more than any.

Also remove any old CE plastic, especially the opaque kind. These older runs of plastic are known for having bubbles in the mold and the weaknesses will be exposed by the cold. My friend learned this lesson the hard way recently when he snapped his '01 USDGC roc in half (and it wasn't even that cold). There's about 400 smackaroos gone to the disc golf gods.

Anything past that is preference. Hot hands, gloves, thermal underwear, all of these will become your new friends.

I throw an all Vibram bag for the winter. Although that's not much of a change because, even though my bag changes a lot, it is usually 50-100% Vibram anyways.

Latest posts