• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

winter month putting?

Matt aka N.G.S.P.

Bogey Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
hey guys and gals...

lately i have noticed that during the winter i have been botching my putts... and it is a horrible scene!!!

i am so ashamed of my putting as of the last 2 months... or either i have really bad luck as of lately!?!? but it seems my putters dont hold the same characteristics in cold weather as they did/do during warm summer weather.

not only that but a few drivers seem to fly odd as well. mainly my putting is deflecting off the basket/chains etc... i was wondering if this seems normal for year round DGers? or do i have a case of bad putts?

-matt-

in my personal opinion it is not the disc, its the disc golfer...and i in no way mean this to be an insult. i say this because it is true to my game and how i play. i play worse when it is cold, as do a lot of DG'ers (ive talked about this a few times before). you wear more clothes that are harder to play in, your hands are cold, and sometimes wet. dont let the cold weather game take a knock on your confidence, when it warms up a bit im sure you will see an improvement on your shots.

try using the innova sonic. i just switched to it after having your same problem and love it. the lip on the outside is flat and ive noticed that especially in cold weather that it not onl;y holds its line but that it also sticks in the chains more often. mine is a 177g but here is a few others.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=361

Supposedly discs are more stable than they usually are in the winter. I really haven't seen a difference in my game, but thats what I'm told. What putter are you using, by the way? I've been using a JK Pro Aviar-X which is super grippy in the warmer months and it still is a wee bit tacky in the cold, and it likes sticking to the chains.

Cold weather makes me feel tight, stiff & slow moving. Bad for disc golf. In the cold your body diverts blood (warmth) away from the extremeties (arms & legs). Dress in thin layers to keep warmed up & stay loose.

the vest. a disc golfers best friend. as stated above in cold weather blood is diverted from your extremities in order to keep your core warm. a vest concentrates the layering on your core thus making your body have to work less to keep it warm allowing more blood to flow to your arms and legs. why a vest instead of another jacket or sweatshirt? the arms remain very mobile in a vest because there is not that extra layer on them, but keeping your core warm will actually make your arms feel warmer without the sleeves.

I like the "VEST" idea, pete... I may have to try that next time I go out... It is too cold here for my "playing partners" to play, so it might be Friday/Saturday before I get to do it... I am a guy that plays in shorts a lot, even in the snow... I dress as light as possible, and I think that I might really like the vest thing...

I do have an old leather coat that has a fleece and nylon vest liner in it...I will have to try that out also. Thanks for the tippage! :) Creative English is so fun!

Thanks for the vest idea, I'll use it in the upcomming tourney.

I have been having the same problems in the "super cold" weather. If it's just "cold" It hasn't seemed to affect me as much. I have noticed a different flight path to my discs when they are really cold but it might just be my muscles not loosening up properly.

I went through this recently. I've always been successful with my trusty Aviar putter. This winter I noticed I was missing putts like crazy! They'be be pretty much on target, but they'd bounce out and jump off the chains more. I figured I was just in a slump, but than I noticed something- that damn Aviar is solid as a rock when its cold. That rock Aviar disk hitting a cold hard basket and stiffer than usual chains= tons of bounce outs. Switched to a Gateway Supersoft Wizard, and my putting is back to normal. I me never go back to that Aviar

thanks for the info i'm glad im not the only one to have this problem!!! i'm using a proline plastic rhyno its soft but for some reason it just seems to bounce out... on or off the basket. its like 2 putts per hole lately. thanks for the advice and i too like the vest idea (KPC2004 don't worry you didn't offend me) take it easy ;)
-matt-

For me winter just means my game takes a hit no matter what. My putting has been pretty bad, and my drives are suffering a lot. Just today I was noticing that my drives are really short because of the cold/bundling. I too use the vest idea and along with under armour I can generally play in the cold without too much bundling although sometimes the weather just doesnt cooperate.

I am constantly notorious for botching putts. Try sticking some chewing gum to the edge of your putter! (unless you're in a tourney) ;)

I am constantly notorious for botching putts. Try sticking some chewing gum to the edge of your putter! (unless you're in a tourney) ;)
lol i was thinking about spray gluing the chains!!!! lately its been sunny but still cold i've been practicing my putting and i've found that the ROC dx plastic is great i think what my problem was is on par 3's say 400 footers my drive is anywhere from 2/3rd's up to 3/4ths the fairway length then around a 100 ft 2nd shot to lay up under the basket or about 20 feet away from the basket.

making my final putt a tad longer and both my putters are soft rubbery plastic which work great in the summer for me, but bad in the winter. and i've been using the harder plastic multi/ROC for my 20 ft putts. and damn that thing locks on and pegs the basket almost every time im talking rim, pole, basket top, chains and occasionally even the hole flag.

it has to be the weather and how my body handles to the cold. i mostly play 4 days a week rain, snow, or shine. so its strange to see exactly how my discs fly in different conditions along w/ how my body does too IE stiffness in the joints and all my wrecked body parts from sk8'n the last 23 years.

long story short im adapting to the conditions but my next guess is that come warmer weather i'll have to re adapt and start all over figuring out what discs work best for me then. thanks for the input have a good one.
-m-

i don't play in weather cold enough where i HAVE to wear more than long sleeves (break point is about 25-30F)...and yes i have noticed most of my discs seem to fly a little different the colder it gets...

winter play

I use my vest and it really helps my mobility. I bring some hand warmers just in case, but I have not used them yet. I recommend getting a vest for the winter months and you will be a happy disc golfer!

Latest posts