• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winthrop Gold?

chain-addicted

Banned
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does anyone on here know why Winthrop Gold was taken off the Map Browser/Course Browser? All I have seen is the Winthrop Lakefront course when I look on the Map Browser yet I still have Winny Gold listed in my "courses played" and I can click on that one and it pulls it up. I guess I am just curious as to why I dont see it as a pin location on the Map Browser....:confused:

I know that it's only up for a few weeks in October due to the USDGC, but it's still a course. Will it pop back up on the map in October and then go off again? Just curious..... Could someone please explain?

Thanks

I'm not positive; but, believe a temp course designation has been added to site; which Gold probably falls under.

I'm not positive; but, believe a temp course designation has been added to site; which Gold probably falls under.

This is my impression, too. If you check the box for "temporary", and hit apply filter, it shows up.

Me be smahrt one dhey.....

This is my impression, too. If you check the box for "temporary", and hit apply filter, it shows up.

Durrrrr!.....:doh:.....that's why.... thanks guys.... the "temp" box wasnt checked on my search. I see. Well, that got solved pretty quick!:eek::eek::eek:

For some reason, I always use the Map Browser and not the course browser. Lesson learned....

It was my understanding that the gold setup was permanent, only the rope OB is temporary.

^^^^^this.

It was indeed set up at "Temporary"......but it is not a temporary course (baskets/tees are in year round) - just the USDGC setup is temporary (specifically the yellow rope). I changed it to Permanent. problem solved.

^^^^^this.

It was indeed set up at "Temporary"......but it is not a temporary course (baskets/tees are in year round) - just the USDGC setup is temporary (specifically the yellow rope). I changed it to Permanent. problem solved.

Yeah.... It's not like I would try to play it w/o the ropes up anyways. My score would probably be around +130 or somethin' anyways....:wall::eek:

So the "Lake Front" course and the Gold are both up year round?

^^The course isn't that hard with the ropes up. Every hole is birdieable. There's disaster on every hole too... But, if you play golf you're fine. It's definitely Awesome (with the ropes up).
DSCJNKY

^^Yes. Just not with the ropes and "hoopla". The baskets and tees are in year round.
DSCJNKY

^^The course isn't that hard with the ropes up. Every hole is birdieable. There's disaster on every hole too... But, if you play golf you're fine. It's definitely Awesome (with the ropes up).
DSCJNKY

Yeah DJ you are correct.... I can think of a few for me: #1, #3, #6, #7, #14 and #17.... thats if I have a little "luck" kicked in too....:\

The rest (due to distance and trees) are just disasters waiting to happen for me:wall:....

wish i knew this a month ago, i only played the lakefront course i would have done both

There are still a lot of good holes without the ropes on Gold.........but a lot of others really lose their teeth w/o the rope and are just long bomber holes.

wish i knew this a month ago, i only played the lakefront course i would have done both

You played the Lakefront course? Without a map? Someone could get lost tryin' to play that thing! Without a map, it's a chore just tryin to find the first tee-pad....

You played the Lakefront course? Without a map? Someone could get lost tryin' to play that thing! Without a map, it's a chore just tryin to find the first tee-pad....

i viewed the map before going but didnt have one while i was there, i was patient

This seemed like the most appropriate thread to dig back up so here we go.

Buddy and I are traveling up to Rock Hill this weekend to play Winthrop Gold and Camp Canaan. What should we expect for Winthrop Gold? Obviously the ropes won't be there, but are the triple mandos on 7 and 15 up year round? What about the sticks on hole 9? From some of the research I've done, it looks like some holes are tweaked only for USDGC (9, 13, 17, and 18's basket). Any insight from a local is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Skip Winthrop. Fields haven't been mowed in weeks/months. It's virtually unplayable unless you want to hunt for discs in the middle of the fairway. Take your pick of Charlotte's course selection or head 25 minutes south and play Chester State Park.

Play Caanan twice.

This is a scouting trip for the doubles tournament, right? Winthrop Gold is all about the ropes -- even if mown, and even if you can find your way around and memorize the videos so you can imagine where the ropes might be, it's not the same.

But if you must....

One of the Charlotte folks will have to answer what baskets and obstacles are in their gold locations, and what holes may be unplayable due to tees (by coliseum) or parking lots in use.

Yes, it's a USDGC scouting trip for the doubles tourney at the end of September. I'm not sure we'll have a chance to practice it with the ropes up on the Thursday before USDGC Doubles starts, so we're mostly hoping to get a sense of the distances for certain shots. Perhaps instead of playing, we'll just walk the course, range distances, and throw a handful of shots.

Very much looking forward to playing Canaan. Definitely gonna play it twice!

David - I ran into your brother and nephew at dubs in Charleston last night. We didn't get to play together but I introduced myself and told him what a great time I had playing Stoney with you last Wednesday. I think I'm gonna try to put a team together for the Battle!

Cool on Charleston.

Yeah, I thought it might be the scouting trip. I can't help with the details of Winthrop Gold -- someone there will. You'll at least get an idea of some of the distances and layout of Winthrop...but the real experience is the ropes.

Latest posts