• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winthrop Gold?

I was up at Winthrop twice this spring (March and May), and the only gold basket I noticed *not* in place was hole 1. Holes 8 and 18 were in the short positions. That said, I only drove past the 9-15 portion of the gold, didn't play it. Most or all of the baskets seemed to be correct from the street, but I couldn't guarantee it. The triple mando was up on 7. Don't know about the sticks or hole 15.

All that said, anything could have changed in three months.

Had a nice day out at Winthrop Gold. The grass was a little unkempt but nothing we couldn't manage. For the record, here were the differences I noticed between the USDGC layout/pin placements and the actual course setup as of 8/13.

Hole 1 - Pin was short right instead of straight ahead from the tee pad.
Hole 2 - There appears to be a short and long pin for this hole. The long pin was well short of the USDGC placement that brings the OB parking lot into play.
Hole 6 - Pin was placed straight ahead of the teepad as opposed to in the beach area.
Hole 9 - Mozzarella sticks were gone and the pin played about 50 or 60 feet to the right of the USDGC placement.
Hole 13 - Couldn't find a basket on the grass island across the parking lot. Not sure where the original 13 plays.
Hole 15 - No triple mando gate
Hole 16 - Basket played somewhere about 80 feet short of the USDGC placement.
Hole 17 - Couldn't find the teepad. Might have been due to lack of maintenance. Pin position looked to be the same as the USDGC A placement.
Hole 18 - Pin placed well short of the long position, near the mando listed on the hole signage online. I assume this plays as a par 3 but don't remember.

At least you got to scout it and get an idea of the lay of the land, and where the baskets will probably be.

When I've played courses blind for tournaments, sometimes I've just walked them to get an idea.

Had a nice day out at Winthrop Gold. The grass was a little unkempt but nothing we couldn't manage. For the record, here were the differences I noticed between the USDGC layout/pin placements and the actual course setup as of 8/13.

Hole 1 - Pin was short right instead of straight ahead from the tee pad.
Hole 2 - There appears to be a short and long pin for this hole. The long pin was well short of the USDGC placement that brings the OB parking lot into play.
Hole 6 - Pin was placed straight ahead of the teepad as opposed to in the beach area.
Hole 9 - Mozzarella sticks were gone and the pin played about 50 or 60 feet to the right of the USDGC placement.
Hole 13 - Couldn't find a basket on the grass island across the parking lot. Not sure where the original 13 plays.
Hole 15 - No triple mando gate
Hole 16 - Basket played somewhere about 80 feet short of the USDGC placement.
Hole 17 - Couldn't find the teepad. Might have been due to lack of maintenance. Pin position looked to be the same as the USDGC A placement.
Hole 18 - Pin placed well short of the long position, near the mando listed on the hole signage online. I assume this plays as a par 3 but don't remember.

I agree with David, glad to hear you got to see and walk the property.
Did you throw any shots to where the normal pin placements are? After going to a Masters practice day at Augusta this year I thought of this, since the pin placements are consistent from year to year, a lot of the players practice putts and chips to areas of the greens where they knew the pins would be throughout the tournament. I guess that would work in this case too.

Did you throw any shots to where the normal pin placements are?

Not really. It was impossible to play 2's placement because of all the cars in the parking lot. In retrospect, we probably should've played to 5's long position but I've got a lot of confidence in my partner's distance that we shouldn't have an issue getting par regardless of where the pin is. It was impossible to play where 13's pin would be because there was a construction truck obstructing the line. We did throw to 18's pin though.

The biggest takeaway from the round was to capitalize on the 'easy' birdies (1, 3, 10, and 16), ensure we don't take bogeys, and try to give ourselves birdie looks where possible. I'd be incredibly stoked if we could -7, which I think is doable but will definitely be tough.

One last thing to note is that people always say "it's different with the ropes up" but there were pink flags showing the OB lines on every hole (except the left side of 8, if I remember correctly). The OBs lines were still hard to distinguish off the tee but they were there nonetheless.

Latest posts