• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Conditions Played

shortstack

I know we all travel out of our way to play and spend too much time at it...but how addicted are you. What is the most extreme weather conditions you've played a round of disc golf in? Was it worth it?

Saturday DISCjon and I, and our families, played baker farm in chili. It's the biggest most open course around us. It was 11 degrees out 25mph winds. Snow covering the ground.

We were fine until near the end of the round. We finished it out though.

Our disc golf league last year went out and played our regular round on a Saturday when it was a whopping 8 degrees. There were 13 of us who showed.....and we live in S. Carolina....not known for cold temps!

Charleston Classic about 8 years ago. 36 degrees, rain, 20 MPH winds. It doesn't get much worse than that, since if it was any colder, it'd be snow and a little more fun.

We once played weekly doubles at Earlewood through a thunderstorm with lightning strikes about once a minute, including 3 that were close enough that I swear were on the course itself. My partner and I were in charge, but were also winning, so didn't cancel the round. Others compared us to the character in Caddyshack.

We played two rounds yesterday at Perkerson Park in Atlanta. About 40 people showed up. It was cold, at least to us. 18 degrees and windy, in the morning. It never got above freezing and the wind picked up as the day went on. That is about as rough as I've had it.

We played two rounds yesterday at Perkerson Park in Atlanta. About 40 people showed up. It was cold, at least to us. 18 degrees and windy, in the morning. It never got above freezing and the wind picked up as the day went on. That is about as rough as I've had it.

I had to work (emergency call) yesterday.
After that, I just wimped out and stayed inside...

Downpouring rain and about 35-40 degrees out.

I haven't played recently. It's currently -26 degrees with windchill, and frankly that's just too damn cold.

Saturday DISCjon and I, and our families, played baker farm in chili. It's the biggest most open course around us. It was 11 degrees out 25mph winds. Snow covering the ground.

We were fine until near the end of the round. We finished it out though.

DiscJon informs me that with wind chill it was -3 to -5 the entire time...YAY!!!!

\/\/

Last winter a buddy and I played one of the local courses, Glacier Ridge Metra Park, affectionately known as the wind tunnel, in 30 degree weather with about a foot or so of snow. In some areas the wind caused drifts that were up to our waists. Lost zero discs, woot.

I played a tournament in November on the shore of lake Michigan, It was very windy, about 35 degrees and poring rain, I would rather play in snow than rain. I ended up with 5th place in AM1 out of about 40 guys. Everybody's scores sucked but it was fun, I believe the winners score was 14 over lol, we had 4 kegs of beer keeping all of us warm and toasty. As of lately Ive been playing about once a week here in west Michigan, its been freezing balls and windy which is normal for winter here, me and my buddies are always joking we should be in a mountain dew commercial disc golfing in EXTREME!!!! conditions.

Last edited:
freezing cold ice bowl

The worst conditions I played by far was a travel trip to a course about an hour away from where i live. the previous day we had a melt, that nite it froze. when we got to the golf course it was about 30 mph wind gusts, 15 degrees, and the entire course was a sheet of ice, we played about 4 holes before we realized we would be skating the entire time.

I can't really complain. I've played in the rain a few times but I don't have to deal with blizzards and tornadoes like some of you do.

The worst for me was back in November. I played in a Mini tournament. Normally , at least 40 people would have shown up for this, but it was 45 degrees and raining, and have the course was underwater. Only 8 of us showed up, and one poor guy, it was his first tournament.

I did really terrible in that one, and my feet got soaked , and cold. That is one time I had wished I hadn't showed up to play. That was not fun at all.

Myself, my son, and Hamilton played the last round at Otter Creek Park in late Dec. of 2008.
Hamilton had not been playing very long and had never played Otter Creel Park. The park was still open, but the baskets had been removed. We each brought an In-Step basket and carried them from hole to hole.
It was about 6 degrees with a 20 mile per hour wind.

I played Sunday with snow and wind chills about 10 below zero. Two great rounds at Hickory Run, PA to start 2010.

Played in a icebowl at idlewild last year. It wasn't that it was extremely cold but more that the snow was melting and water was gushing everywhere. The steam that runs through #3,end of #15, 16 and the end of #11 swallowed over 60 disc's that day. Be honest it would have really sucked to even fall in it by accident trying to save a disc. That was a nasty time. I would have rather played in single digit temp's before playing in that. That was my first experience of a disc golf type tourney. It was a blast but nasty. Also the next day apparently someone went back and found about 40 of the disc's lost.:clap::hfive:

I played in a tournament last year with the temperature at 34 degrees with 25 to 30 mph winds. Just as everyone was finishing the first round, it started to rain. Then, when the second round did start, it began to sleet, rain AND snow, all at the same time with the same temperature and winds. Needless to say we all were cold and wet by the time it was done. I was smart and brought a rain jacket which helped a lot, but it didn't stop the cold.

Completely iced over course 40mph wind, below zero with wind chill. Hole #1 I almost hit the basket and the wind and ice brought my disc almost back to me. I would have been much better off with ice skates and a hockey puck!