• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Place to Live if You Love Disc Golf

Illinois Institute of Technology. It's just South of Downtown. Outside of that, there's 58 within 25 miles of Millenium Park / Museum district. That actually rivals Charlotte for quantity and the course closest to downtown is a mile closer.

But not even close in quality. You've got to go an hour plus out of the city to get the Joliet area courses, an hour plus up to Round Lake to Fairfield or hour and a half to two hours to get the SE WI courses.

Yes, that's why I said quantity. I'm just saying you'd be hard pressed to make a case that Chicago is anywhere near the worst disc golf places. I have to drive a minimum of 30 minutes to play anything....but within 60-90 minutes is some of the best golf anywhere. That to me is just fine...until i can wear down the parks departments in my county to finally get a project planned and followed through on.

Pecos, TX.

The access to courses could technically be worse, but there's apparently zero active disc golf scene.

I was just there for a week on work. There's actually a decent course about an hour away in Fort Stockton. I went to check it out one evening and it's a nice city park -- mowed grass, some trees, some elevation changes. They had decent tee boxes and signage and even some benches. The only thing that was missing was people!

I was there from about 5:30-6:30 pm on a Tuesday evening (couldn't throw :mad: but walked through a good number of holes to check it out). I didn't see a single person out there throwing a disc. If that course was in Billings, at that time of day it would have had dozens and dozens of people on it.

FWIW, I also visited a few shops in Ft Stockton and the only golf discs for sale was the classic 3-disc Innova starter pack. Not much selection!

If you go south into Big Bend there really is nothing at all. You're looking at hours to Ft Stockton for the only remotely near course.

Actually, aside from the major border towns, anywhere near the Texas /Mexico border more or less sucks.

Reading this forum is convincing me that I should stop complaining about the disc golf situation in South Florida. There aren't any amazing courses in the Miami area, but there are plenty of places to throw if you're willing to drive 40 minutes or so. In addition, the lack of ice is noticeable. December was never a better time to disc golf.

Upper Peninsula of Michigan is pretty sparse...

I was up in da UP in August to bring some stuff to my son, who is at NMU in Marquette, and I was pretty impressed with the courses I played in the UP. Powder Mill, in Marquette, is probably in the top 5 of the 128 courses I have played. Silver Creek was OK, fun for a quick round, and I liked Pioneer Trails, in Escanaba, with some of the best signage I have seen. Silver Mountain was also fun, with some fun throws off the top of the ski hill. City Park, just across the border in Marinette, was also worth the stop. There are definitely far worse places to play than the UP.

Midway Island would be a great place for a "distant course"! There is an abandoned 9-hole par 3 ball golf course there. Played it. Got there shirt too! Huge Ironwood trees, beautiful beaches and blue waters. Great snorkeling! But, you may have to deal with a few Gooney Birds (aka Layson Albatross) or two.. or a million. :)

Last edited:
Pecos, TX.

... There's actually a decent course about an hour away in Fort Stockton. I went to check it out one evening and it's a nice city park -- mowed grass, some trees, some elevation changes. They had decent tee boxes and signage and even some benches. The only thing that was missing was people!...

If that course was in Billings, at that time of day it would have had dozens and dozens of people on it...

Fort Stockton population 8,384
Billings population 109,059

hqdefault.jpg

Hawaii,
Hard to say that...but there isnt really even any place to throw discs regardless of the lack of permanent courses. The one permanent that I played was in pretty terrible condition.

Would love to live in Hawaii though.

I was up in da UP in August to bring some stuff to my son, who is at NMU in Marquette, and I was pretty impressed with the courses I played in the UP. Powder Mill, in Marquette, is probably in the top 5 of the 128 courses I have played. Silver Creek was OK, fun for a quick round, and I liked Pioneer Trails, in Escanaba, with some of the best signage I have seen. Silver Mountain was also fun, with some fun throws off the top of the ski hill. City Park, just across the border in Marinette, was also worth the stop. There are definitely far worse places to play than the UP.

Silver Mountain is epic. I love that course. About 10 years ago I got my first ace on Hole 3 (tunnel shot through the woods then dogleg right in the open) Beautiful course, great variety, awesome elevation change, and 3 holes overlooking Lake Michigan from a bluff? Hell yes.

North Korea.

Someone mentioned Afghan. Strictly landscape speaking, it would be a good place for a course. Lots of elevation changes as well as terrain. That said, my buddies tells me it smells like shyt over there. So it may be an unpleasant experience.

On the homefront, of places Ive been, probably NYC. Even if there was a local course, the traffic and chaos is enough to keep me in my house

Pikeville, KY

Eastern KY is in need of a scene! My girlfriend is from Pikeville and we have been going back for holidays now for 4 years. 3 poor rated 9 holers are all 45+ minutes away. at least on the way up and the way back we can hit up Warriors path and Harmon Hills.