• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would disc golf in high school help?

Just knowing the state of funding in schools right now, schools are infinitely more likely to cut activities than to add a fringe sport like disc golf. It will only exist as a club or league for awhile, IMO.

I'd have to agree with everyone. I think saying for it to be an actual school sport was going too far. But what you guys are saying is more of what I was looking for. I just think it'd be cool to find a way to get more exposure to the sport through the schools. Just getting it in gym class would be a huge step forward. A gym teacher could give the basics on BH and FH and maybe suggest beginner friendly discs to students that are interested.

Disc golf is being taught as part of the normal PE curriculum in a large section of the middle and high schools in San Diego. As good as this may sound it has been just showing them with regular frisbees, without baskets for most of the schools, and by the normal PE teacher just learning themselves. My oldest daughter had to write and essay about disc golf as part of the PE class and my neighbor who played helped her with the assignment and this is how I got my start with disc golf.

There are more and more schools adding either a permanent course or portable equipment to their facilities all the time. I designed a perm 9-hole course for Fremont Middle School (IN) this spring. They are already talking about adding another 9 holes!

Four years ago, I started the Indiana State HS disc Golf Championships (it is both a team and individual event). We have grown from 1 school with 3 teams the first year, to 40 players from 10 schools last July. Several schools have started disc golf clubs as a result of this. Club sports is the way to grow before getting to a sanctioned sport (walking before running). We have a Traveling trophy that gets the wining Team members names and school on it. The winning school also gets an EDGE "Basic" package, 3 Traveler baskets, 40 discs, 40 minis, DodgeBee and Ultimate discs and a killer teaching DVD with a dozen World Champs doing the instruction and a National Standards based year-long lesson plan for the PE teacher to use to teach disc golf and other disc related sports/skills.

My business (The Disc Golf Company) and our local club (the Hamilton Disc Golf Union) will continue to run and sponsor this event (along with Innova and EDGE) as long as we have to; until disc golf gets to be a sanctioned sport! :D

Attachments

• 2010 ISHSDGC Photos 020.jpg
    2010 ISHSDGC Photos 020.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 5
As a teacher at a private all-girls high school, I have been working on drumming up interest, which I hope will have multiple benefits.

For one, I believe our campus would be a great place for a Winthrop-esque temporary disc golf course that could host tourneys over summers and on school breaks (360+ total acres, minus about 60% of that for pasture land/paddocks for our equestrian program). Me (and friends) happy to have a closer locatoin to play, students happy when tourneys can help raise money for charities or class fundraising, admin happy to get the school exposure to visiting players.

For two, as a private school, it would be easier to convince the administration to include disc golf as an activity, initially for non-Varsity athletes but with the possibility of including that in the future. For two, part B, as a private school, we don't face the funding issues public schools may ("What? You need $5000 for this 'EDGE' program? Okay, sure."). Me happy to teach, students happy to have other options.

For three, as this is an all-girls school, helping introduce more women to disc golf is a good thing. Me happy the girls are playing, students happy they are playing, PDGA happy the girls are playing.

I guess I need to sleep even less and get a damn proposal together...

As a high schooler who plays disc golf, I personally do not see the benefit in having it as a varsity sport. Coming from a school where 60+% of students play a sport involving long daily practices and frequent games, I chose disc golf because I could play at my own pace in a relaxed manner. Trust me, varsity sports do not represent the ethos of disc golf in any way. However, the sport could stand to be made more serious in some ways.

My friends and I attempted to start a club, but the combination of different skill levels, schedules, and amounts of interest made it difficult to run.

Latest posts