• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play through a snowy winter?

Do you play during the snowy winter?

• Yes, snow plays no factor on my game.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • I will play if there's little snow. Once there's too much I stop.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • No I don't play once snow comes, hate it.

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • My state doesn't have snow, I want to play in the snow though!

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Snow disc golf sounds stupid, I play in nice weather only.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

Blaaaake77

Bogey Member
You've probably answered the poll question already by now and are possibly checking out what I have to say down here, if you are sweet, thanks. My good friend and I are in the process to build a private, pay to play course. No this isn't just a simple "project course" the plan is to open a business with a new course. Right now in this current stage of the process I am just looking for answers to questions we ponder upon during our process.

Because we are located in a state (Minnesota) where snow is a factor, even though as of lately we don't get much (I am a huge fan of winter, love the snow). My friend and I both were curious how much does winter play a factor in your disc golf game.

I am sure you will see a few other polls from us if this poll turns out successful, we thank you in advance.​

My scores are worse in the snow, but I've played in as much as 2 feet of snow (which I do not recommend). It just feels good to get out and throw.

My scores are worse in the snow, but I've played in as much as 2 feet of snow (which I do not recommend). It just feels good to get out and throw.

Yes.

My scores don't suffer much in winter, even if my distance does.

Sweet thanks for the input, I forgot to mention any information you have regarding snow golf and how you play or any input please leave a response, thanks!

Bring a shovel for teepads. Shorten your run up. Extra socks...nothing is worse than cold feet when you're playing. I suggest nice, thick wool socks over regular athletic socks.

Leave your discs outside overnight before you go. Warm(ish) discs are no bueno in the snow...it'll stick to them something fierce.

3' ribbons, taped in the center of the underside of your discs. "Kick the Snow" is the worst game ever. Apply the ribbon indoors, where it's warm, so the tape adheres properly.

Something to think about if you are opening a disc golf course as a business in a snowy area...groom the course. Invest in equipment (snowmobile, ATV, bobcat, tractor, something) to use to pack, move, or clear out snow on your fairways for easier walking and decreased chances of lost discs. As you design your course, consider that equipment so have the space to maneuver and do the job, even if it's a matter of having a "winter" design you can switch to in the snowy months. Some considerations would be shorter or alternate pin locations for some holes, entirely new holes to replace any "regular" holes that would be inaccessible or impractical to groom, and having wide enough fairways and paths in the woods to accommodate the machine.

If you're in an area where there are free courses, you have to offer something in the snowy months to entice people to come pay to play your course rather than trek through the snow for free at a park.

I don't much care to play in deep snow and extreme cold. It just isn't the same game at that point. Not to mention the lack of daylight completely eliminates weekdays. But, having winter sometimes last five months, I do get cabin fever and have to play a handful of times.
Now, having said that, I took Mashnut's suggestion of playing Zephyr-only, or Zephyr/Putter rounds recently, and that was fun as hell. I could see myself playing on short courses much more often in the winter with the Zephyr, as you do not need ribbons and that eliminates that whole hassle.

Awesome, thanks for all the input so far, and yes we plan on grooming fairways keeping it easy to navigate through the snow. Keeping teepads clear and free of ice as best as we can. Basically we are planning to keep it the same game as much as possible with the factor of snow!

Agree with the shorter configurations in the winter: a lot of courses with alternate pin positions leave them in the shorter spots for the cold, shorter daylight months. Makes the best sense. And grooming the course in some way in snowier regions makes great sense, too. I like disc golf, not golf disc searches.

When we do our Ice Bowls in the Cincinnati area, they're usually unsanctioned fundraiser events, and we buy mulligans for the charity. When we play Lincoln Ridge, we usually play the 'winter 20', leaving out the really steep ravine holes for safety.

Overall, I'll still play under almost any conditions, but I find myself less and less motivated when extreme cold, higher winds, and wet weather combine. One or two together is sufferable, but when all three get together, the fun factor really drops off a bunch!

I've played in snow. But I don't particularly enjoy it. So I voted option number 3.

But snow really is only one factor. Lack of daylight and cold also figure in. I'm about to move to a much less snowy area, but I still will likely play less in the winter because of those other factors.

If anyone answers the question, with option 2 can you leave a response telling me how much snow is too much for you? Thanks I really appreciate all the responses so far!

I voted #2, and honestly, when I have to start putting ribbons on, that's when I really have to talk myself into playing. What's that...a few inches probably?

But now, if it's a shorter course, and I can use my Zephyr.... answer might be different.

Agree: shallower snow (1 or 2 inches) make it kind of fun. The disc leaves a track, and sometimes a brighter color 'shines' through the dusting it might get buried under. Once you get 4-6 inches on the ground, you're spending a lot of effort concentrating on where the disc went under, where it might have slid to, etc. Get above,say, calf-deep and every shot becomes a little bit of a chore, unless your ribbon is showing.

I should mention that we had a good 6" of snow on the ground at one point last year, followed by a slight melt and hard re-freeze. Playing at AJ Jolly, it was so firm even a bug guy like me could walk on top of the crust. Those discs slid for ever!

Last edited:
I can't say that snow has absolutely NO factor on my game. I will play in any weather (except for rain). I kinda like playing in the winter - fewer people are on the course (if any) and the wilderness is calm and quiet under a blanket of snow. My drives have been less than optimal lately with the extra layers of clothes and slippery tee pads, but putting league has helped me improve in the short game so I'm still shooting about the same I would any other time of the year...

No max on snow, unless I literally can't walk through it, so I guess over a couple feet would do it for me.

If it's going to be a business, offer a shop with snow golf materials. Hand warmers, smart wool socks, good tape, ribbons, zephyrs, towels, d-links, gloves with a loop for d-links, lights, small brooms, gardening knee pads (the small foam pieces), sharpies, and so forth.

Keep a broom and shovel at each teepad. I know you said you would do your best at keeping it clear, but you can't be there all the time.

Keep an honest and good lost and found section (much like the pyramids course at Marshall Street). This is a good bit dependent on the people who play, but just having a sign and saying something to each person as they pay and leave the shop will help wonders.

Also, a small very simple café could go a long way. Coffee, soup, hot chocolate, and if you can a small bar (don't know what the legalities would be with this in your state) would also help quite a bit with the business aspect of your endeavor. MOST especially if you have a looping figure eight course, where people could take a pit stop halfway through the course, warm up, and go back out. I know a number of people that will only play short courses in the cold, but this kind of incentive would help them be able to brave a longer, better course.

Just my two cents of course.

I'll play in the snow, but if there's more than 4-6", I'm done. I hate digging through powder looking for discs.

I take a break from disc golf once the snow starts flying. I like having a sort of off season to get away from disc golf.

Just my two cents of course.

I thank you for that, I will make sure I keep track of what you stated, somethings you mentioned I never thought about, and that's the point of this forum was to see what disc golfers what at a course. Again, thank you very much.

On my disc golf bucket list, is playing in the snow. Either while it's snowing, or with snow on the ground.

Latest posts