• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play through a snowy winter?

Do you play during the snowy winter?

• Yes, snow plays no factor on my game.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • I will play if there's little snow. Once there's too much I stop.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • No I don't play once snow comes, hate it.

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • My state doesn't have snow, I want to play in the snow though!

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Snow disc golf sounds stupid, I play in nice weather only.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Honestly, I'm not trolling, but I can't figure out what the kneepads are for.

Same thing I use them for during the summer, but like to have even more during the winter... Putting from the knee. To clarify, its just a small foam rectangle gardeners rest their knees on. I only mentioned it for 2 reasons. 1) no proshops seem to have them and they are very useful. 2) the snowy winter golfers are usually the more dedicated golfer and either own or would appreciate one. Not to mention they are cheap and don't take up a lot of space on a shelf.

The poll was missing an option correct for me, so I did not vote.

Depth of snow has no bearing on whether or not I'll play. It's all about the temperature and wind speed. If it's below -10 and windy, that'll make me think twice. I play in snow up to my mid-thigh often.

If it's going to be icy and slick, I'll put on a few extra pairs of socks and my steel-spike golf cleats (with half of the cleats removed to allow for a nice pivoting motion).

The poll was missing an option correct for me, so I did not vote.

Depth of snow has no bearing on whether or not I'll play. It's all about the temperature and wind speed. If it's below -10 and windy, that'll make me think twice. I play in snow up to my mid-thigh often.

If it's going to be icy and slick, I'll put on a few extra pairs of socks and my steel-spike golf cleats (with half of the cleats removed to allow for a nice pivoting motion).

tumblr_ltjj7gI7nk1qlheay.gif

I voted 2 because I hate having to slow down on the tee pads when they are icy/slick. When I lived in Michigan we played throughout the winter, always fun to be outside, right? Similarly, when I lived in Texas, no one quit because it was too windy.

I think you should rig some solar containers that would produce hot water and then melt the teepads off when they get covered by ice/snow. Don't worry about clearing the fairways, just have forecaddies who mark the locations of the discs with flags.

Might wanna rig up a solar powered dryer too unless you want them to refreeze. :p

My goal is to play once a week, no matter snow depth or temp.... but it's not always easy......

Attachments

• 0228040913a.jpg
    0228040913a.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 22
The only reason I threw Christmas day is because it was 46 degrees and no snow. Having MS already messes with my grip and coordination enough. Once it is below 40, snow or not, this guy is done for the year. Now, once the snow is gone in spring, I will play in a bit colder than 40 to cure my cabin fever.

I don't mind it at all actually, I almost prefer it. But I HATE the cold.....so if its 20+ Im cooooool. also BRP having plowed fairways and shoveled pads is a plus, i hate non shoveled pads.

Same thing I use them for during the summer, but like to have even more during the winter... Putting from the knee. To clarify, its just a small foam rectangle gardeners rest their knees on. I only mentioned it for 2 reasons. 1) no proshops seem to have them and they are very useful. 2) the snowy winter golfers are usually the more dedicated golfer and either own or would appreciate one. Not to mention they are cheap and don't take up a lot of space on a shelf.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

My goal is to play once a week, no matter snow depth or temp.... but it's not always easy......

Where is there that much snow in MN right now? Or is that a short basket?

I'd hit that.

I went back next week after we had some sun and there was a nice crust on the snow and it was like playing shuffleboard. You could get a disc to slide for ever....... until it hit a drift ...... and then it would launch into the air......

Most people who see me playing in the deep snow think I am crazy........

Check out the snow drift on this hole - after some sun it's like a ski jump to launch your disc into chains or into trees......

Attachments

• 0228040932a.jpg
    0228040932a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 24
Another Iowan here. When there's about 6" or more of snow on the ground I'll only play night rounds with LED lights because they make it so easy to see your disc in the snow. Day rounds in the snow pretty much never happen for me. I'll play during most anything but this past week has been pretty brutal here in Iowa. I haven't thrown in 7 whole days.

I will play when there is some snow. Once it gets deeper I slow it down because I am not one who takes kindly to falling. I don't like losing my foot and not knowing whats underneath deeper snow.

I am so thankful so many of you have replied and voted on the poll! I would love to see 200 poll votes that basically why I am typing this up, so I need roughly 50 more votes so if you haven't voted yet, please do so, I would love to hear your opinion on winter golf!

I answered #2. When the snows gets to be over 6+", I won't stop playing completely but I'll only play the courses that groom, and usually I'll only play if it's above 20 degrees (unless we icebowlin'). There are only 2 courses in my general area that groom and shovel tees, Bittersweet Ridge in N Yarmouth and Woodland Valley in Limerick. They both do a great job throughout the winter. So yeah, winter golf is alive in Maine but limited to only a handful of courses.

I voted #5, but my real answer isn't in the poll. I don't actually think playing in snow is stupid. I'm in a state where it rarely snows, and having played in it once, I don't care to again.

Latest posts