• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

KenanFlagler01

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Since the infamous LA Times article where McBeth basically said Wysoki chokes in the clutch, I've been following their head to head battles more closely. With today's European Masters win, I think you can argue Wysoki has had the upper hand so far this year. Here's the breakdown:

Tournament wins:
McBeth - 4 (out of 11 events)
Wysoki - 10 (out of 16 events)

NT wins:
McBeth - 1 (played in 5)
Wysoki - 3 (played in 6)

Majors:
McBeth - 0
Wysoki - 1

Head to Head (same tourneys)
McBeth - 3 wins
Wysoki - 3 wins + finished 4th at Vibram vs McBeth's 12th
(They tied for 2nd at GBO)

Obviously, they have a long way to go, with World's, USDGC's, and other big tournaments to come, but right now, Wysoki is in the driver's seat for player of the year. It's fun to watch.

Unless Ricky beats Paul at Worlds, none of it will matter.

McBeth's hardly playing his best golf due to injury. No wonder the numbers look like they do.

If you only look at NT's and Majors, head to head, Ricky has finished ahead of Paul in 4 of 6 events (with 1 win for McBeth at Memorial and 1 tie). I know World's is the big enchilada, but so far this year, Ricky has been the one who's delivered in the clutch.

Last edited:
I just like seeing how the quality of play by all players has been boosted by the play of these guys. You know you have to bring your best game to compete. Guys are working hard on their games.

I don't know if it is fair to compare the season with McBeth injuries but it is clear that Ricky and Paul play on a very high level. I would also say that Ricky has a higher ceiling but Pauls mental game is so strong that he makes up for a lot. If Ricky can work on his mental game he will be the man to beat.

I don't know if it is fair to compare the season with McBeth injuries but it is clear that Ricky and Paul play on a very high level. I would also say that Ricky has a higher ceiling but Pauls mental game is so strong that he makes up for a lot. If Ricky can work on his mental game he will be the man to beat.

To be fair, McBeth played well at the end of last season even with the injury. It just was the as highly publicized.

I think the biggest development, as you alluded to, is Wysocki's mental game. He's really stepped it up and is able to get over those mid-round hurdles now on a regular basis.

If this weekend is any indication, though, Worlds is gonna be lit. Can't wait.

It's tough to judge the ongoing status of McBeth's various injuries because he always states for the record that he's fine. But we see him skip the KC Wide Open(?) and watch him drastically modify his putting stance and we know he hasn't been right for most of the year.

That's why I thought it was encouraging to see him return to his traditional putting technique in Jarva(DP?) and watch him make a very impressive charge today from 4 back only to lose at the end on a very unlucky spit-out.

Watching Rick & Paul push each other this year has been a real treat and it doesnt get any better than what we watched today. Too bad we had to watch it on someone's phone.

I think the biggest development, as you alluded to, is Wysocki's mental game. He's really stepped it up and is able to get over those mid-round hurdles now on a regular basis..

Absolutely. Full marks to Rick. He's made a huge leap this year. I'd be curious to know what specifically he's done to tighten up his mental game. You can see that he's focused like a "laser." He'd get my vote for POY as of now, to be sure.

I think what McBeth said about Wysocki...
"When it's close, you can pretty much count him out", motivated Wysocki. Once Ricky beat McBeth, it gave him a huge confidence boost, and he hasn't looked back.

I think that there are two different discussions here. Which one is better when 100% and can Ricky match Paul on the mental side.

For the first one it might be tough to give definitive answer. Probably only Paul will know that for sure.

However, what comes to the mental side Ricky has proved Paul's comments wrong number of times. This has got to be the biggest storyline of the 2016 as it is relly what has raised Ricky to the level where he is today and made disc golf all the more entertaining.

Can't wait for the Worlds and USDGC.

Since the infamous LA Times article where McBeth basically said Wysoki chokes in the clutch, I've been following their head to head battles more closely. With today's European Masters win, I think you can argue Wysoki has had the upper hand so far this year. Here's the breakdown:

Tournament wins:
McBeth - 4 (out of 11 events)
Wysoki - 10 (out of 16 events)

NT wins:
McBeth - 1 (played in 5)
Wysoki - 3 (played in 6)

Majors:
McBeth - 0
Wysoki - 1

Head to Head (same tourneys)
McBeth - 3 wins
Wysoki - 3 wins + finished 4th at Vibram vs McBeth's 12th
(They tied for 2nd at GBO)

Obviously, they have a long way to go, with World's, USDGC's, and other big tournaments to come, but right now, Wysoki is in the driver's seat for player of the year. It's fun to watch.

Not only could you argue it, but it would be impossible to come to any other conclusion. McBeast is the best in the world, but Ricky has without a doubt had a better season.

Said nobody, ever. I'd say the 23k in winnings matters. This isn't Nascar, where the whole season culminates in the championship. It is a season long series of events, with some holding more weight than others. Worlds is the biggest, but it's just one event.

If Paul wins Worlds you could argue that his resume for the season would be better than Rick's (everything between now and then set aside), being that World's is such a big deal, but it certainly wouldn't mean that Ricky's season "doesn't matter."

The ADGT win was all Ricky needed to get him over the 'mental' hurdle, he's set to dominate now

The ADGT win was all Ricky needed to get him over the 'mental' hurdle, he's set to dominate now

Still won't win worlds... Mcbeth will.

Although, I hope I jinxed him and Ricky wins worlds this time around.

I was at the 2014 worlds playoffs, that was brutal yet amazing!

How is the DGWT "champion" determined? I don't know if there's s points winner, or if the USDGC winner gets it, or what, but right now, you have to say Ricky has a decent shot at sweeping the various "tour championships"...

National Tour - Ricky already has it locked up

Pro Tour - one and done tournament style at a course where Ricky won last year (I think he leads in the points standings thus far)

World Tour - don't know the format, but Paul has 2 wins, Ricky has 1, and Simon has 1 with just the USDGC left

American Tour! Throw it in for good measure -- Ricky won that too.

Not sure about that, but I agree that the World title is what Ricky needs to show he's truly up there with McBeth and other World Champs. And I think the World title is the one Ricky is really gunning for, as McBeth was gunning for that elusive-to-him USDGC last year.

A USDGC title for Ricky would be a strong step, but the "whisper number" really is that world title.

I just like seeing how the quality of play by all players has been boosted by the play of these guys. You know you have to bring your best game to compete. Guys are working hard on their games.

Pretty much agree with this.

I like both Ricky and Paul and am disappointed when either loses and glad when either wins. I love watching them battle.

I think ricky has a higher ceiling his body screams disc golf. Long and lenky. Paul is a beast and we will see his best still for years to come. I think they are pretty even but I do think Ricky has more room to grow in his game where Paul may not have that much higher to go. Just my opinion I love watching them both, I do pull for the beast though.

Code:
All Tournaments  Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
2/20 Wintertime   B         1         
3/2 Memorial      NT        1        6
3/10 La Mirada    A  DGWT   1        2
3/18 St Patrick   A                  1
3/26 PureLine     C                  2
4/2 Mishawaka     A                  1
4/9 Jacksonville  A                  1
4/22 Nick Hyde    A         2         
4/28 Glass Blown  NT        2        2
5/5 Konopiste     A  DGWT   2