• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] XCaliber?

ehillis

I've been waiting around to see if anyone was going to say anything about the (newish) Innova XCaliber, would love to know how it flies. For whatever reason, the Destroyer didn't quite live up to all my hopes and dreams, so I probably will go pick up an XCaliber at some point.

Anyone like it, dislike it, indifferent?

Depends on why you dislike the destroyer. If it is because it gets flippy pretty quick with hard throws you will love the excaliber. If you can't s-flight your destoyer you don't want anything to do with an Xcaliber. If you married the fade of the max with the speed of the destroyer you get the excaliber. I like it because it is a long driver I don't have to worry about turning over. Can't say that for my destroyer. Pro destoyers can't be turned over very often either so you may like those. They are unlike any other pro version of a driver to me. Harder to turn over than the star variations which is odd.

Good observation on the Destroyer. My DX 150 turns over if I get enough on it, usually it'll turn over on most throws over about 275-300 feet or so but my Pro 175 is difficult to turn over. This would be true with any mold and that much of a weight difference though. How does the Excalibur compare to the T-Rex? It seems like the Excaliber is pretty much just a faster T-Rex.

It is my understanding that the Destroyer should be easy to throw sidearm, yet I can't seem to do so. I have no problem throwing my champion viking 300 plus feet but the destroyer just folds over and rolls. I also cant seem to get it to S very well. It just continues to fade. Am I not meeting the speed reguired to throw the disc, or is it possible mine is faulty? Are there faulty discs?

How does the Excalibur compare to the T-Rex? It seems like the Excaliber is pretty much just a faster T-Rex.
I've been throwing a TeeRex for a while now, and an XCaliber for a couple weeks. You're correct they are very similar. Though the XCaliber doesn't got much further, if any, for me than the TeeRex yet. But I'm in the 350-400' range on max distance right now.

It is my understanding that the Destroyer should be easy to throw sidearm, yet I can't seem to do so.
A friend of mine loves his Destroyer for sidearms. He is primarily a sidearm thrower and throws that Destroyer for even mid-range throws.

Xcaliber vs destroyer....

I have the same problem with flipping a destroyer when I try to flick it too. I can even flip my max that way too. Problem, I'm afraid, is us not the discs. A good friend of mine who plays pro says you shouldn't have to adjust the disc for your flick. He can crush it both bh and fh and flicks a wraith or orc just as well as anything else. I think spin is the problem not speed. When you flick your wrist really hard in a flick the torque of a the disc is high. I think this causes it to turn over so fast it has not time to do anything but roll. I noticed if I back off that and put more arm into and less wrist it is a much better result. Problem is I can't do it consistently and I can't make by brain understand you don't have to throw so hard for a flick.

Xcaliber = discraft flick. Darn near impossible to turn either one of these discs over and if it has time it will always come back.

Thanks for the information. Ill have to try letting off a little, maybe that will do the trick. It is definetly frustrating when the disc doesnt do what you want it to do.

I just picked up the Xcaliber a few weeks ago due to extreme curiousity. I'm glad I did. I'm a sidearm driver most of the time and any time I come to a long open hole, out comes the Xcaliber. I can get it much farther than the new champion Wraith I've been using (lost the old beat up Wraith that I loved so much). I've not turned it over yet, though I generally don't have much problem with that in general, and it doesn't have too much fade in my experience (but I've been throwing it pretty low). I've not thrown a Destroyer yet, as I saw all the reports about them being flippy and just jumped straight to the Xcaliber, so I can't compare them.
My two cents.

I'm been throwing longer bombs with my new Star XCaliber 172g. than with any other disc I've ever owned. In the past I've thrown, in order from my beginnings, Eagles (my first driver. i loved that disc), Beasts (for a shorttime when I was forced to shoot backhand cause of injury), Valkyries (my game progressed the most throwing Valks), and lastly Wraiths (still unsure if I like it more than a Valk, but I carry versions of each, so it doesn't matter)I throw forehand drives 90% of the time. Unlike most people, the backhand hurts my arm, not the forehand. I have a baseball background. For a wide open long course, the XCaliber is a terrific disc. Tighter courses I'll fall back on a Valkyrie because my accuracy is most advanced with it. You do have to put more snap and muscle than usual into the XCaliber, which could result in looser accuracy, but I haven't had many problems with it since the first couple rounds with it. On a good drive, I guessimate I can put the Xcaliber out there over 400 ft. It's a beautiful sight. Thing shoots out of the hand like a bullet.

I love my XCaliber!

It was my fist disc (only been playing for a few months) and I only drive forhand. I have tired lots of discs but i will always come abck to the XCaliber. I can make it S turn and go out to 350 - 400ft on big drives.

I had a Destroyer and used a Boss for a while but neither felt as good in my hand as the Cali.

i guess im the odd one out, i never really liked my xcal, hence why i traded it. i also disliked my champ destroyer and it now sits in my bag that doesnt come out to the course with me. for distance i have found any of my wraith's or any of my boss's to be my go-to disc. just depends on what i want the disc to do once it is out there for me to decide between those two.

Yep, go and get one. Not sure if you're FH or BH dominant but if you are turning over a Destroyer, the Xcal could be just what the Dr. ordered. I'm FH dominant and like many others have attested on this thread...it's the kitties nip! I'm trying to reduce the number of different molds I carry and currently carry 2 with one as a back-up. I'm finding that it retains its stability fairly well for Star plastic. If you find you don't like it for whatever reason, you should have little trouble trading/selling it as they are very popular.

Happy slingin'

i am a rhbh thrower and find that the xcal has a nice long quick hyzer to it, therefore that is what i use it for, and sometimes to hammer it.

So question for the XCal throwers out there. First is there any difference in the first run Xcals as opposed to the subsequent runs. Also do the eco-star Xcals fly any different than the regular star Xcals?

Tried alot of Disc's for sidearm. My favorite two are Boss and XCaliber. A new XCaliber is just like a heavy duty Flick..very hard to turn over or S-Turn. This is nice for dependable 300' hyzer throws. A worn in XCaliber is pretty straight and long. I can almost throw it straight at the target for 400' drives, low or high. For maximum sidearm distance for me, a worn in Boss is my favorite. The dependable S turn flies long as it takes the slow turn. In the wind it can be hard to control, and that is when the XCaliber is a go to disc. Destroyer is great for low flying controlled speed throws. It gets too flippy when you really snap it.... My technique is based on a tiny runup, slow arm and a lot of wrist. So people who really throw the disc as opposed to snapping it will turn the discs over easier and the discs might act differently...

Elderly thread we got here...but I have a suitable question so...

Does anybody know how the Champion XCals compare to the Star? I've been throwing a Star for awhile and need to get another before too long since it will be out of its sweet spot for max D before too long. Stability wise is it more, less, same? I'm hoping more, but same would be awesome as well.

I was wondering about the champ xcal also I have 3 star that I rotate and a first run and cfr that Im saving but It is my favorite driver by far. I was wondering how the new champs fly.

That is question I would like answered too, like jdggna said they lose they're sweet spot pretty quickly, I beat my first Star XCal to snot and after about 2 months had an amazing sweet spot then about 2 months after that I couldn't throw it anymore because it got too flippy. Need Champ XCal answers.

Latest posts