• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your first disc golf course...

Anytime one of these 'back-in-the-day' threads comes up I become more sure that you and I would've ran into each other a few times.

Grand Woods was my first course. Had a buddy at Michigan State who was big into ultimate take me out there for the first time in the Fall of 1993 (30 years playing this year!). We would be out there 3-4 days a week for the next 7 years or so. Played a few rounds with the CCR guys, got our hands on a coveted J-Bird stamped cyclone, played the odd tournament here and there. That was probably the only course I played for the first few years, until we finally made it out to Fitzgerald. Then there were eventual road trips to Addison Oaks, Hudson Mills and the Kensington tunnel course when it went in. We always heard the CCR guys talk about Kandahar too, definitely regret never making it out there while it still existed.

I got to play Kandahar once. Cool course on the side of an abandoned ski hill. Then they started building houses on it and no more DG.

Anytime one of these 'back-in-the-day' threads comes up I become more sure that you and I would've ran into each other a few times.

Grand Woods was my first course. Had a buddy at Michigan State who was big into ultimate take me out there for the first time in the Fall of 1993 (30 years playing this year!). We would be out there 3-4 days a week for the next 7 years or so. Played a few rounds with the CCR guys, got our hands on a coveted J-Bird stamped cyclone, played the odd tournament here and there. That was probably the only course I played for the first few years, until we finally made it out to Fitzgerald. Then there were eventual road trips to Addison Oaks, Hudson Mills and the Kensington tunnel course when it went in. We always heard the CCR guys talk about Kandahar too, definitely regret never making it out there while it still existed.

Yeah, man, if you were there in 1996-97, those are the two seasons I played like every other day there. Loved the one J-Bird stamp with the web on it, and I loved those Cyclones and X-Clones!

J-bird always got the best plastic. Always loved his stamps too. Here is one of my favorites (Ghost stamp):

473813_197115843721707_1824153000_o.jpg

I traded prerube a tournament fundraiser GG Wraith for the Challenger. :hfive:

I got a GG 3(?) time distance champion glow Wraith off of good ole prerub a few years back. Could it be the same disc?

I got a GG 3(?) time distance champion glow Wraith off of good ole prerub a few years back. Could it be the same disc?

Rube would have to confirm it, but I would say that's prob the disc. What did you trade for it???

According to I trader feedback, I bought it. Don't know how much I paid, but I'm kinda cheap so it couldn't have been too much.

William Cameron Park(West, not bEast) in Waco, TX. It was 2005, and some newly acquired friends during my Freshman year of college took me with them to play. We all live around Austin now and still manage to get a round in every now and then. The courses are much busier now.

A course in the Rattlesnake Recreation Area in Missoula, MT...August of 1990 (my 7th birthday.) There weren't even baskets, just trees marked with spray paint.

My first basketed course was Blue Mountain in Missoula, whenever they put the baskets in (it started as tone poles, if I recall correctly) and that would have been probably 6 or 7 years later.

Raintree Park, Troy MI - June 1985
I rode past it on my bike and saw kids throwing frisbees in the direction of nobody. Closer investigation and I saw baskets. Asked them about it and returned a couple days later for league night and I've been playing ever since.

Also the location of my first ace - August 1, 1989 with a DX Cobra which i still have.

691-e48a2013.jpg

Last edited:
Bayville Virginia Beach Ed Headrick 1977. 2nd course on east coast. 1st round I played September 2019, after visiting the park for the first time the previous week "what are they doing". The course has been realigned several times, only #16 short to short is from the original design.

In the photo is an old concrete tee pad from years past used for #1, no longer used. It had been disappearing under dirt, and somebody took the time to bring the tee pad back to the surface. To the right of it is the current #1 long tee pad. Straight ahead is the #1 short basket up the slope and behind the trees. I have found the previous #1 short further up to the right. Have found old pins just off fairways 8 and 9, too deteriorated to be of any use. 17 long looks like it has been in use maybe 30 years.

Attachments

• 20231025_082948.jpg
    20231025_082948.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I remember hanging out with my older brother watching the Winston Cup race from Darlington and this guy Terry that he worked with called and asked if we wanted to go play Frisbee Gold after the race . I thought it was kind of goofy at the time but we went.
That would have been September 4th, 1988 and we went to Fritz Park in Irving, Tx. Afterward I tried to buy a disc from him but he wouldn't sell any. He did tell me where to get them, the Gaspipe in Arlington had a pretty good selection. So before the next weekend, I had two new discs, I think a Hammer and Stingray. Then a Discraft Eclipse and a Lightning B2 Stealth, purchased shortly after that.
The second course I played was Lake Highlands, also where I got my first two aces. Then Greenbelt in Carrollton shortly after.
I have been playing on a regular basis ever since and still love the game.

Latest posts