Oxford, MA
Hodges Village Dam DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #4 (Taken 2/2010)
Hole #4 Approach

Land of Confusion

1    11/2/2013   11/10/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: You approach the course on a winding road along a lake, but the course and the real beauty is on the other side of the dam.

Holes 2 and 3 are decent wooded holes that play next to a beautiful lake backdrop. There was a marsh in the foreground, ducks paddling around the lake, and changing leaves in the background on the other side of the lake. Your parents probably had a painting like this in their living room.

The hole across the spillway (apparently hole 8, even though the basket says hole 10) is a great hole. The tee pad is tucked in some trees atop a hill, and you throw down across a spillway to a tree-protected green on the other side. It doesn't require a huge arm to get across, but the water will get in your head. Scenic, fun hole.

Many of the holes had alternate tee pads. I like this idea, but there are a lot of issues here to be addressed before multiple tee pads are considered.
Cons: Navigation was bad. Really bad. The map on this site is hand-drawn, and not very carefully drawn. I spent 20 minutes looking for the 5th hole's tee pad and finally discovered it on the bridge. I threw the 6th hole, lost my disc briefly in the tall, thorny brush (most of which was dying; I can't imagine how awful this hole is in the summer), only to discover the basket isn't even there. I saw a pole where I assume either the 6th or 7th basket should be, but I never found either.

Making everything more confusing, the numbers on the baskets don't match the tees (all of the numbers I'm using in this review correspond to the tee sign; but they don't match the map or what you'll see in other reviews). Most of the tee signs you see in the pictures on the site were not there when I played.

I also never found the first hole. There is a sign pointing toward the first tee...but the sign was laying on the ground. I didn't see any map in the parking lot or even the mention of a disc golf course. You could easily come here and have no idea there is a course.
Other Thoughts: I'll happily update my review if/when some improvements are made. If you are a local, please PM me if you have a better map or understand what is going on here. Given some of the prior reviews (from reviewers I respect), I assume that upkeep has fallen off over the past couple years.

This is a great piece of land, similar to the nearby Buffumville Lake. There is a really fun course waiting to be completed here. Or maybe it's already there. But we need more than a Goonies-level map to find it.