• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

That would honestly be my fault for not being clear enough as I'm the one that wrote it. Like Chuck said, the word "beyond" could have replaced "after crossing" and it could have been clearer.

The spirit of the rule was that if you're past the service road OB then you're going for the green. I didn't want people who threw it OB into the road to the left to move 200' down the fairway to throw from the drop zone. Perhaps wording it to say that if your disc comes to rest OB past the service road after your first drive throw from OB sounds clearer?

I did talk with a couple of guys who caddied during that final round for pros and they were shocked at the amount of people that 1.) Didn't attend the players meeting to get any rules update (a drop zone on #6 was added after the caddy book was printed) and 2.) Didn't have a copy of the caddy book during the round. Swope Gold is a course with complicated rules, and after watching the archived live broadcast, I didn't see anyone in that last group pull out a caddy book.

If Swope Gold is in next year's rotation, I could see myself using different color paint like they do in Ball Golf to mark hazards to hopefully help direct players with what to do. However, there's nothing that any TD or course designer can do about someone that doesn't carry the rules of the course with them during a tournament round.

Are we talking about the service road that separates the first island fairway from the 2nd island fairway??? Or that little stretch between the DZ and the island green???

Are we talking about the service road that separates the first island fairway from the 2nd island fairway??? Or that little stretch between the DZ and the island green???

The service road is the road that separates the first part of the fairway from the 2nd part of the fairway.

Latest posts