• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Update

mopar

Par Member
I originally posted on 12/11. Since it has been over 3 months I can't respond to that thread but I wanted to give an update. ( I didn't like the old thread title anyway)

Quick rehash. There is an old 9 hole course at a park near my house with posts as targets and rail road tie teepads. I went to city hall and got permission to upgrade/maintain the course...

After talking to a few people the old 9 hole layout was a mess. Multiple fairways crossed each other...and since the original layout was put in a dog park has been added that took up 2 or 3 of the original holes).

I ended up completely redesigning the course. It has gone through about a dozen revisions at this point and I am finally to the point where I am happy with it.

Today I laid down carpet for the lower 6 temporary teepads (just so they don't turn into mud puddles). It is still just posts as targets and carpet tees, very temporary. The lower 6 holes are now playable and they have a pretty good flow and, i think, some fun holes. The 5 or 6 people I have showed it to have all given me a very positive feedback. As a side note...the posts are much more challenging to putt on than baskets. It really increases the difficulty

I have been doing most of the work myself with a little bit of help from a couple local disc golfers that have shown interest. Now that there is something playable...even if it is only 6 holes and very rough, I feel like it is time to try to get others more involved and get more club backing.

Here is a break down of the first 6 holes. Almost every hole has some elevation change. As far as playable distance you should probably note that 1 ft of elevation change +/- =3 ft distance.

Hole 1: 276 ft 10 ft downhill. Target on a slight slope. OB park entrance driveway runs along left side of fairway all the way to the target. A row of 3 or 4 trees protect the target on the right side making for a tight target window. I usually throw a hyzer and hope I get lucky and find a clear line through the trees on the right in order to avoid OB...

Hole 2: 496 ft, about 30 ft downhill. (it plays a little over 400ft...I can't get there with my 350ft drives, but it is an easy par and a near impossible birdie for me. It's one of those holes that rewards people who throw farther than I do) Throw across a small valley that is about 45 feet of down hill elevation around the 250 ft mark that then rises up about 15 ft to the target. A few trees in the fairway but mostly open. Target is placed slightly on the left side of the fairway.

Hole 3: 215 ft, about 25ft uphill. Trees line the left and right side of the fairway making you throw your drive "up the chute". The target is on a decently steep slope and placed 20-25 ft directly behind a tree in the center of the fairway making you choose your path to the right or left of it. Different lines for lefties and righties.

Hole 4: 262 ft, 15 ft downhill. Low ceiling and 2 different windows through the trees to choose from. Slight dogleg left. There is about a 3 or 4 ft slope behind the target. This ended up being a connector hole. I was worried it would be trivial but the low ceiling and windows make it a fun little putter shot that is not a gimme by any means. With the posts making putting difficult it can be bogeyed if you hit an early tree even though it plays short.

Hole 5: 240 ft, 15-20 ft uphill. This is probably my favorite, and most technical hole of the first 6. Low ceiling and 2 windows to choose from about 75 ft off the teepad. The fairway opens up after that and climbs the hill but the the target is to the left surrounded by more trees. Throwing uphill with the low ceiling and windows makes it seem much longer than it is. My description isn't doing this one justice. I do need to clear some brush out from around the target area still...

Hole 6: 260 ft, about 5 ft up hill. The least elevation change of any of the holes. This one starts in the woods and you throw out to daylight. All of the lines have a low ceiling. There are 2 different hyzer line windows through the trees about 150 ft from the tee. There is also a tight any/flick window on the left side that isn't the primary route but I know people will try to take it. It shortens the hole a bit but it is very tight with small "iron leaf" type branches.

Hole 7,8,9 are planned to go in above the dog park and will require a little walk out to get to. A lot of work needs to be done before they are playable. Hole 7 requires a lot of Scotch Broom and Blackberry clearing, hole 8 and 9 just need a little trimming.

My general estimates are:

Hole 7: 350ft of usable distance. 25-30 ft uphill. multiple trees in the fairway. This one could end up being the most difficult hole.

Hole 8: 550 ft of usable distance. 20-25 ft downhill. It's an old dirt road with pines along the edge that can create a tunnel shot. Should be a fun downhill shot but the fairway may end up being tight depending on how wide it gets cleared.

Hole 9: 300 feet usable distance, 10 ft downhill. Similar to above, the dirt road turns sharply making another nice fairway surrounded by conifers. The plan is to end with a fun ace run shot.

I have plans for secondary teepads on all 9 holes to make 18 holes...there is about another 10 acres of unused land in the park...but it is very thick and would require heavy equipment and clearing beyond my means. Maybe years down the line there could be a full 18.