• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legalities of disc flattening/adjustments/etc... Change?

Consider that from a PDGA standpoint, if the manufacturer has a disc out there that doesn't meet the approved standards, they and the player are at risk and not the PDGA for non-compliance in the event of a lawsuit if the complainant discovers they can check whether the disc that hit them met the flex test. Same with overweight discs. It may never happen but the specs are there as a reference point.

I think they should do it the same way they do in auto racing. The top three finishers at the end of a round (and x number of players chosen at random) would have their bags inspected to ensure that all discs meet PDGA guidelines. If any discs are found to be outside of the standard, the player is disqualified.

I do not think the amount of dome would be a standard, as this is not something that is tested by the PDGA when determining the legality of a disc (correct me if I am wrong).

PDGA rules committee has indicated that tuning disc with the hands is OK, unless the TD rules otherwise. It's really up to the TD, and what can be proven.

The real problem is going to be the new rule going into effect on January 1st.

801.02 Discs Used in Play

A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

PDGA rules committee has indicated that tuning disc with the hands is OK, unless the TD rules otherwise. It's really up to the TD, and what can be proven.

The real problem is going to be the new rule going into effect on January 1st.

The current rule is the same.

"D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E."

Just worded a bit unfortunate - as commented on earlier in this thread.

So I know this is a little off topic. But I searched and couldn't find anything. After reading this I just flattened my Dx Roc. Let's be real, I won't have anyone questioning my discs in a tourney any time soon. And prob. wouldn't even be throwing it anyway (i'm a buzzz man). My question is what can I expect from a flat top roc? I won't be able to get out and throw until after Christmas so I was just wondering if you could fill me in. Thank's guys.

So I know this is a little off topic. But I searched and couldn't find anything. After reading this I just flattened my Dx Roc. Let's be real, I won't have anyone questioning my discs in a tourney any time soon. And prob. wouldn't even be throwing it anyway (i'm a buzzz man). My question is what can I expect from a flat top roc? I won't be able to get out and throw until after Christmas so I was just wondering if you could fill me in. Thank's guys.

They handle headwind and cross wind better, but at the expense of poor glide imho. I can throw my putter farther than one of these.

They handle headwind and cross wind better, but at the expense of poor glide imho. I can throw my putter farther than one of these.

But.... is your putter flat topped or domey? Modified or legal?

Come on, these are the questions that need to be answered anytime you're talking about a disc.