• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Goo versus Tuff Toe versus Plasti Dip

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I confess; I'm a toe dragger. I keep wearing out the instep/toe of my left shoe. I've been using Shoe Goo for a few year and it works fairly well. I build up the area where the shoe drags and wears down with Shoe Goo, then wear it down again, then build it up again, repeat, repeat, repeat... Even though Shoe Goo works fairly well I'm hoping to find something more durable/harder/abrasion resistant so I can get the most use before having to re-apply. I've read a bunch on this and it seems the products people use are Shoe Goo (the only one I've used), Tuff Toe, and Plasti Dip. Can anyone comment on the durability of any of these products compared to each other? Is there another product that anyone is using that shows good durability?

I've only used tuff toe - the stuff you put on yourself, not their toe cap. I found the durability to be very good. It more than doubled the life of the shoe with one application.

Although, my long term solution was to change my form so I no longer dragged my toe. You've probably heard it before, but that's the real solution here. At first it sucked, but pretty quickly I got used to it and it improved my accuracy and power. I think there is something fundamentally flawed in toe dragging form that puts a ceiling on power in particular.

I went into shoe cobbler's shop looking for Shoe Goo and they directed me to a product called Freesole which was what they used for boot repairs. Basically it's the pro version of Shoe Goo and it worked very well.

I've also been using Shoe Goo, and while it's not great, it does the trick. It does get old having to reapply every few rounds.

I actually have Tuff Toe in my Amazon cart, but I haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger. I'm concerned that even though it might last longer, it's still going to wear away, and reapplication seems more arduous.

I'm eager to hear about experiences and possibly other solutions (other than all that "fix your form" noise).

I've also been using Shoe Goo, and while it's not great, it does the trick. It does get old having to reapply every few rounds.

I actually have Tuff Toe in my Amazon cart, but I haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger. I'm concerned that even though it might last longer, it's still going to wear away, and reapplication seems more arduous.

I'm eager to hear about experiences and possibly other solutions (other than all that "fix your form" noise).

Well if you keep with the shoegoo the constant reapplication should allow you to improve your form enough to master tuff toe.:\

sorry.

Which product is best to reattach chaco soles?

I forehand a lot and usually will destroy the right toe cap on any shoes. The only shoes that have been able to handle my toe drag is a pair of Keen Targhee 2 mids that I've been using for a couple years now. Not one bit of visible wear on the toes of these boots. Wish I could find another pair of Keens that weren't so wide fitting because my skinny feet move around a lot laterally in them.

Cut up a bicycle tire, a road bike tire works well. Cut a strip that forms to the portion of the shoe that is wearing. Put shoe goo on the shoe and bike tire back, let sit for 2-3 minutes. Then press the two together and hold for a couple minutes. Then place something really heavy on the shoe to set the bond for several hours. When the bike tire wears out, repeat the process. It will last longer than just shoe goo alone.

ds4SCXyl.jpg

the two I tuff toe-d (high tops and running shoes right and left) are still going strong. the one pair in the middle sole started to come off which I didn't tough toe *. the red running shoes are over two years old, and high tops are at two years. I ended up having to tuff toe both right and left because i started throwing BH and FH a lot.

*I did clean up my form to have no toe drag on my both BH/FH drives, but on short upshots I'll do the golf toe point into the ground.

Thanks guys, good info here. It sounds like both Tuff Toe and Freesole are both better options than Shoe Goo. I've read the reviews on Amazon and both sound great. Has anyone tried both and have a direct comparison. If not I may try Freesole first as it's cheaper.

Fwiw most of those products are just a polyurethane based mixture.

Can get a whole tube of silicone/poly construction adhesive/sealant for $5. I use it on bottom of bags too. The driveway crack filler works as well.

Last edited:
Professional shoe mangler here, egregious toedragger whilst forehanding. Hey, gotta transfer the power/weight somehow. I use copious amounts of Shoe Goo. It works, but you gotta be dilligent with fortifying the layers that you apply. Also, gotta scuff the smooth surfaces like leather with a rasp before you attempt to bond anything. My barely a year old Adidas Superstars are mutilated. Mostly Shoe Goo at this point. They don't make the Superstars like they used to. Luckily, Shoe Goo. These things are too comfy to abandon just yet hahaha.

I am in the shoe/work boot business as well. I would highly recommend a product called KG's Boot Guard. It's a product we sell to guys who wear through the toes of their work boots. It looks like LineX and is the toughest stuff I have ever seen. I used it on the entire bottom of a DIY disc golf backpack I made a few years ago and it held up really well. Costs around $11.

Edit---I'll remove this link if I'm in violation by posting it. http://www.gandlclothing.com/KGs-Boot-Guard--Black_p_5801.html
---

Latest posts