• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 finger forehand trying to convert to 2

rkdgcr

I'm an older player (50) and have been playing for about 6 years now total, but had a 3 year break in the middle, so technically only 3 years. Off an on for that time I kept trying to add a forehand to my game and failing. I watched everything under the sun and did everything possible and my forehand always came out extremely floppy and severely nose up. This year I FINALLY got consistent forehands, and got it by mistake trying it with one finger despite no tutorial I had ever watched ever even mentioning 1 finger forehands. I simply cannot find out how to rotate my arm far enough to get my palm facing upward during a 2 finger flick without killing my elbow. I am not a flexible person. 1 finger allows more of a baseball type throw with my palm facing more toward the throw. I've got it down pretty darn good with zero wobble releases and consistent 200ft throws with an mvp impulse which is my best flick disc. Another thing that 1 finger grip allows me to do that gets darn good accuracy and great spin is pull the disc back toward my forearm with my offhand to limber up that 1st finger tendon and "cock" it just prior to the throw. So before a throw the disc is just floppy but pulling that first finger back. That floppy hold completely allows the disc inertia to overcome any small OAT in my grip and makes it come out super clean with zero wobble.

My problem is still distance. Just not getting any distance and hoping there is still something that I have missed that will allow me to go to a 2 finger forehand and get more distance. With my inflexibility, is this a pipe dream?

Sorry I can't give you real advice, just empathy. I can crush a disc backhand but my forehand simply doesn't generate much power. You're not alone regardless of grip - I switched from a "fan grip" to "stacked grip" recently for forehands and it's helped a bit but my mechanics just don't jive with the awkwardness of the FH throwing motion.

Do you throw predominantly forehand? Equally as often as BH? Only on approaches or specific holes?

Even though I am predominantly back hand and have only had forehand in my bag since this summer, my forehand has a much more consistent release point both horizontally and vertically. Any time there is a low ceiling and/or right hand component to the hole, I usually throw forehand now. I am usually very disciplined about throwing the shot that lets the disc do the work rather than forcing... so I usually throw backhand on right to left holes and wide open bombs (for me about 300-325 consistently and 350-375 1 out 10 throws), forehand on left to right holes and tunnel shots.

I'm an older player (50) and have been playing for about 6 years now total, but had a 3 year break in the middle, so technically only 3 years. Off an on for that time I kept trying to add a forehand to my game and failing. I watched everything under the sun and did everything possible and my forehand always came out extremely floppy and severely nose up. This year I FINALLY got consistent forehands, and got it by mistake trying it with one finger despite no tutorial I had ever watched ever even mentioning 1 finger forehands. I simply cannot find out how to rotate my arm far enough to get my palm facing upward during a 2 finger flick without killing my elbow. I am not a flexible person. 1 finger allows more of a baseball type throw with my palm facing more toward the throw. I've got it down pretty darn good with zero wobble releases and consistent 200ft throws with an mvp impulse which is my best flick disc. Another thing that 1 finger grip allows me to do that gets darn good accuracy and great spin is pull the disc back toward my forearm with my offhand to limber up that 1st finger tendon and "cock" it just prior to the throw. So before a throw the disc is just floppy but pulling that first finger back. That floppy hold completely allows the disc inertia to overcome any small OAT in my grip and makes it come out super clean with zero wobble.

My problem is still distance. Just not getting any distance and hoping there is still something that I have missed that will allow me to go to a 2 finger forehand and get more distance. With my inflexibility, is this a pipe dream?

I don't think it's a matter of more flexibility, you don't want to focus on keeping the palm up. You should Supinate in backswing and finish pronated. You are on the right track with you hand facing the shot, two finger grip should have the same hand orientation. Here's a picture SW22 posted in another thread
c2492dcb2a5ab81b58d2f4cc219dc30c.jpg

I don't buy all the advice out there, especially for us older guys. Our bodies simply can't do some of the stuff younger bodies can, your mileage will vary, so I take all advice with a grain of salt. I don't think there are any magic answers once you get past a certain point. I'm a huge advocate for trying out different techniques to see which one works for me/you.

rkdgcr, I'm 60 and I use a single finger for throwing my forehands, and like it for all the same reasons you do. I began throwing with a two finger grip, and I didn't lose any distance converting from 2 to 1. A good drive for me, not exceptional, is 320'. Much of my power is generated with my legs and hips. I have no reach back and my arm and elbow stay very close to my body. I agree with rjnoodlearm. There is not so much a right or wrong, but what works or does not for you. I didn't start playing until I was 50, and I have been adapting my game to my fading athleticism ever since.

Stokely's videos (and the clinic of his I went to) advise throwing palm forward like a baseball. That's how I do it though mine isn't very good yet. My brother throws palm up and with his baseball experience does better than I.

Some of the videos out there look like they are throwing palm up, but I think the arm may be rotating during the throw and the actual release may be somewhat palm forward. They might feel like palm up but not really be.

From what I understand, Marwede throws 1-finger exclusively, so you aren't limited by your grip choice.

Force yourself to do field practice with the 2 finger stacked grip. Throw lightly and not many reps, just a few when you are in the field to practice backhand.

I'm almost 40 and I thought my forehand was down for the count after an elbow injury, but just by carefully building back up the effort, I've been able to rehab my forehand.

This year I FINALLY got consistent forehands, and got it by mistake trying it with one finger despite no tutorial I had ever watched ever even mentioning 1 finger forehands.

I got a forehand this last 2 years doing the same exact as you except on purpose, short 1-finger forehand flicks to a practice basket and just building out my distance till two fingers feels more natural (for me, past 180') and less effort.

No real advice. This Scott Stokely video was the only one to help me with my forehand, maybe it will help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf6qb4_-y3A

I used to worry about wobble, but like my early backhand, it went away on it's own eventually. Practice, I guess.

Latest posts