• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

200' stand still approach form

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer

I thought this video did a good job of showing the changes I make to my throw when powering down for approach shots.

For this throw I needed a roughly 200' straight shot to the basket. I wanted to snap it pretty good and run the basket...with the hill behind the basket I wasn't worried about the come back.

What I like to do is generally reduce how much I rotate my body while keeping everything else the same. This is how I find accuracy for longer approach shots that are too short to throw with a run up.

Notice how little my shoulders and my hips turn, compared to my driving form. Also compare the overall depth of the reach back. How far I can reach back is severely limited in the approach form due to restricting my hips and shoulders.

I use the same grip for all backhand throws FWIW.

Nice throw! Hole 1 at Arb is one of the first places I started trying stand still drives. I had spent so long trying to drive to that 250' to the pin, that once I learned how to throw 300' I had issues powering down.

Enjoying the rest of the vid. Gonna watch the rest of it...hoping Arb is open this summer. Last November I only got to throw Spiker and Massillon. Should be visiting soon, plan to hit up Deis Hill, Portage Lakes and hopefully swing over to Moraine / Deer Lakes for a day.

Damn, that chain kiss on 6...first hole I ever saw someone hit metal on was #6. Saw an old timer put a beat DX Roc on a lazer and smash the cage. Blew me away...went out and bought my first Rocs that day :)

Even with a reduced distance throw, your form produces a complete follow through. (I'm one of those who claim that follow through is the result of proper form earlier in the throw, and can't be a goal in itself - it's just a check that you did something right earlier.)

I'm not succeeding at that. What causes your follow through position?

I've noticed over the years that I only feel the need to rotate once I'm over 180, so I completely agree. I feel I have more control with this approach. That being said, with a 350-400' drive and the fact I don't play courses much with holes over 500 feet, I get to use this shot once or twice a round if I'm lucky :)

Latest posts