• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 Amateur World Championships

SmoothSailor

* Ace Member *
Did anyone else go to the Am Worlds last week? I know of a few people from DGCR/DGR who were there, plus some people I know from playing different courses. Last week as a BLAST!
:thmbup:
This thread is to say Thank You. I want to start by saying thanks to OSU of Marion, OH for allowing 500+ disc golfers to swarm upon and take over your campus for a week and the city of Marion for hosting and rooming most of us. I know I felt like I was at home, and hopefully everyone else felt the same way.
I want to thank everyone who had anything to do with the tournament - setting up the courses, handing out scorecards, tallying up totals, officials, vendors, tournament directors, announcers, players and spectators. Without any of you, last week never would have went as smooth as it did.
Thank you to Discraft for the Test Drive and to Brad Schick for the clinic on Monday. Thank you to Innova and Avery and Valerie Jenkins and Nate Doss for the Pro-Am Jam clinic held on Wednesday (and the free t-shirts at the Fly Mart). Thank you to all of the vendors who attended and made the Fly Mart memorable.
Thanks to whomever for packing and handing out our player's packages. Thanks to Vibram for the CTP and candy out at Delaware on Wednesday, definitely made things a little more interesting that day.

And finally thank you to everyone who showed up, players and spectators alike. Without the players, there wouldn't be any competition and without the spectators there watching, who else would we be trying to impress?

So one last time... Thank you to everyone who helped make the 2010 Amateur World Championships happen. I had one hell of a week and I can't wait for next year. You guys rock! :hfive:

What you said. Enjoyed meeting you and playing a practice round together on Monday -- thanks for putting up with my son.

It was a great week!

If you played Alum, most days (except Wednesday) I was your spotter on hole 3. Everybody that came through was great! (I also spotted for the ladies and some of the older guys on 7 at Alum on Tuesday afternoon)

Thanks to everyone that came and made the week a huge success!

I just want to add on thanks to Blue Fusion for hosting a great players' party thursday night. They had a buffet line of food for us, free bowling for players, they gace us a sweet mini, and free soda. There were great people there having a great time off of competition. And I found my beat-to-hell-does-everything-i-want-it-to DX Eagle in the Lost and Found. I ended up finding my Elite Z Flash in the LF on Saturday before semis started - Thanks to the finders!

I'm sure I'll be posting more in this thread as more time goes on. It was such a great week and so much went on it's difficult for me to blot it all down at once. Anyone else who went, please share your experiences.

And Scott, Marion was my pleasure. I (and Brandon) just wish his foot wouldn't have been flaring up that day, I wanted to play the rest of the round. I ended up shooting one of my best rounds of the week there when I played it. How did your son do overall?

And Scott, Marion was my pleasure. I (and Brandon) just wish his foot wouldn't have been flaring up that day, I wanted to play the rest of the round. I ended up shooting one of my best rounds of the week there when I played it. How did your son do overall?

Well, he didn't finish last :) , though he went into the last round at Tiffin tied for it. He actually played pretty well for him when he wasn't melting down over not playing as well as he wanted to. All of his rounds were well above his rating (not hard, when it's mainly based on rounds from a couple of years ago), and he finished fairly strong -- his next-to-last round got 10 penalty strokes added (three juniors groups played the wrong layout for five or six holes, resulting in two strokes per wrong hole being added) and still ended up being his second-highest rated round ever, and his last round was rated the same but was in my opinion the best tournament round he's ever played (the ratings were affected by the top kids in his division, who were shooting rounds rated at 1007, a couple of 955s, etc.). But he had a great time, and really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with some of the other kids, and came home really charged up about playing more and improving his game. I was blown away by what great kids the top players in his division were, in addition to being seriously good disc golfers at such a young age. Great experience all around.

Yeah man, I was camping with Bobby (the world champ for 10 and under) and that kid can pretty much drive farther than I can. I even got him to sign my SP Squall after he won. Check this thing out... pretty much my prized possession now :)

worlds.jpg

Avery Jenkins
Valerie Jenkins
Leroy Jenkins
Sharon Jenkins
Nate Doss
Liz Carr
Lisa Lopez
Juliana Korver (super light on the right under Valerie)
Brad Schick
Barry Schultz
Ken Rollins - Worlds TD
Bob OH - 10 and under champ
And there's one guy who signed it, not even sure what his name is. It's the one that look like J@

Last edited:
Yeah man, I was camping with Bobby (the world champ for 10 and under) and that kid can pretty much drive farther than I can. I even got him to sign my SP Squall after he won. Check this thing out... pretty much my prized possession now :)

worlds.jpg

Avery Jenkins
Valerie Jenkins
Leroy Jenkins
Sharon Jenkins
Nate Doss
Liz Carr
Lisa Lopez
Juliana Korver (super light on the right under Valerie)
Brad Schick
Barry Schultz
Ken Rollins - Worlds TD
Bob OH - 10 and under champ
And there's one guy who signed it, not even sure what his name is. It's the one that look like J@

Very cool. Just don't go flinging it into rivers twice in one day like my son did with his Leopard that Val, Avery, and Nate signed.

Very cool. Just don't go flinging it into rivers twice in one day like my son did with his Leopard that Val, Avery, and Nate signed.

hahaha! Yeah, I won't be doing that. I took the three discs they gave us and walled them. They won't EVER be played with. Although when I first got my PDGA stamped stalker I took it out to play a round with some buddies before dusk :doh: and ended up losing it in the bushes (it's black) just as the last glimmer of light was fading away. I found it the next morning when I played my local league's doubles tournament, but I walled it that afternoon to avoid any mishaps like that again.

And EJ Vogie, wherever you are, thanks for a great last round at Upper on Friday! I know neither of us were as on our games as we wanted to be, but it was still a fun time swating away mosquitoes while parking for birdies a few times in a row!

I have a couple more thank yous to give out now that I'm thinking about the courses again.

Scott, Thanks for showing me who all of the other signatures on that disc were. I probably would've only gotten Avery, Val, Nate, Brian and Barry if not for you. And thanks for just hanging out and playing with me and my buddy. You and your son and his friend and father are very awesome in my book.

Each time I played Delaware, there was a man grilling hot dogs. He gave away free hot dogs and soda to any player who wanted. I can tell you, after a hard round of golf a hot dog or two with a nice cold coke are really nice. Thank you.

And when I played Marion, there was a man who had donuts in the mornings. He was asking 50 cents for each, but when I handed him 2.00 to buy a round for my card, he gave me 10 donuts. I made sure he knew what I had given him and he said he knew what he gave me. Thank you.

And the first time I played Delaware, I didn't know how to get to the next course, Alum Creek. There was a guy with a big bushy beard and sunglasses on who not only told me how to get there, but wrote it down and gave me one of the PDGA printed maps of how to get to all of the courses we were playing that week. Thanks for helping me not get lost man!

Like I've been saying, there are going to be some more thank yous coming in as I keep thinking back on it.

And EJ Vogie, wherever you are, thanks for a great last round at Upper on Friday! I know neither of us were as on our games as we wanted to be, but it was still a fun time swating away mosquitoes while parking for birdies a few times in a row!

Yeah, I just wish it hadn't taken me 30 holes to get warmed up Friday :doh:
Really though, it was my putter. I switched to my Rhyno on hole 12, and then went 2, 3, 2, 5, 2, 3 and canned 2 jump putts in a row. Which reminds me, I've still got a DX XD for sale ;)

Thanks also to the guy from Vibram (Steve Dodge?) who was at Delaware Tuesday handing out CTPs for hole #3. I won a Medium Ridge by 5 feet. :thmbup:

I had Avery, Val, Liz, Juliana, Barry and Nate sign my badge. Liz seemed surprised that I would want her autograph and actually thanked ME. Nate asked how my rounds went that day. And I'm sorry to admit I didn't know Juliana until I saw her name on her shirt. :wall: Pics as soon as I find my camera. :doh:

Last edited: