• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 USDGC

Alright, ya'all nigguz came in and straight jacked up my meetup post talkin' 'bout scores and strokes and OB and sheehit. Who cares... all those guys suck anyways and I'd crush 'em.:p:D

I'll be down there tomorrow and Saturday all day. Who is down for a round at Winny Gold tomorrow after the event? We can call it DGCRC and get Billy Crump to film it and talk all his smack! We dont even have to play this new silly "stroke & distance" rule either! :thmbup::hfive:

so then design is the issue

Space, funds, labor/$ to create, labor/$ to maintain; not the actual designs. If all those were non-issues design would not be a problem.

Also have to consider that most people that play arent top 50 pro's and a course that challenging would not be played as much by rec players... One of the reasons that Winthrop gold is only set in that position a few weeks per year. The rest of the year its a blah open course with some risk around a lake.

Looks like just a long field ace birdie, after an OB shot. Nikko cards a 10, with shots that wouldve netted him a 5 without the stroke and distance penalties

Peterb's point was that championship courses should be on natural courses. This is what he said:

Peterb - I was not meaning to be a jerk with my response. Sorry that I came across that way. I do find it amusing that you feel Flip meets the criteria you mention for world class players.....that's all.

Shoot I've never played it. I only assumed that since it's #1 on this site that it actually is world class. Should've known better since every decent pro I've talked to says that Milo is the best course in the world...yet it doesn't even crack the top ten...so much for crowdsourcing.

Back in 2007, we had scoped out a modified version of Highbridge Gold suitable for the USDGC without any yellow rope needed. But there's no suitable HQ facility, it's in the middle of nowhere and not enough potential living staff nearby.

or what about the toboggan course? Possible? Or is it too discraft-y for a traditionally innova event?

Toboggan not suitable (blue level design) and a little too easy at SSA around 58 or so. No HQ building like Winthrop but they could use tents like the USADGC. I think the Blue Mountain facility they just used for the last NT might be one of the best alternatives because they have the course facilities and staffing.

However, at the moment, the SSA is still a little higher than the 75 SSA yesterday. It will start coming down once the heavy hitters finish. I'm thinking the SSA might end up at 74 today.
74.2 for today so 74.6 average so far. Looks like this course will be in its own top 10 best rated rounds category for courses 72+ SSA. The current top category is SSA 66+ but that assumed no SSAs over 72 would be played in sanctioned events.

Last edited:
In other news...check out the scores. Looks like almost everyone is playing WAY better and adjusting to the course. There are a lot of people who are shooting 10,15,or 20 strokes better...Wiggins... Very few have gone in the reverse direction, and it is still windy out.

Seems like a lot of players didnt have the right game plan going in but now have adjusted and are playing much better. The guys at the top were better prepared...read some of Will's comments. He knew the rounds would be tough and layed up 100' on 17 and will continue the rest of the tournament.

I don't think it was so much the players adjusting, as it was the wind. It got a little gusty at times today, but it was blowing almost all day yesterday. I'm sure that made a big difference.

Have they announced the payout yet? Is this pre-skipping-a-year USDGC going to be first event to eclipse $100,000 in payout? With $80,000 last year and potentially raising a lot of extra money that will probably be paid out as plastic next year, they could actually do it this year. $100,000 payout would be awesome. That would get someone in the media's attention!

I'm thinking it will be at or below last year based on their new focus. I also don't believe it will be higher in 2012 just because they have an extra year for fund raising. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Was this shot filmed?

It was probably filmed, but it wasn't shown on live. I was watching around that time, but they don't have coverage for most of the holes. Primarily they have live video from the first 7 holes, and 17-18. We did get to watch 14 for a bit, and they had a quick shot of 13's pin, but that was about it. The video was up and down around this time, so if I recall, the live was actually down when I saw this posted on USDGC's facebook page.

Yes, they are playing the course under the same rules. I don't have any problem with the rules of THAT game but it's not the same game as disc golf. Players expect to get ratings and I'm not sure you can combine results from this USDGC game and what we have been rating. It's like combining basketball scoring stats from before the 3-pt shot was created versus after. It's pretty much the same game but would you consider it fair to combine stats and compare players' shooting stats and skills before versus after?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ratings are calculated by comparing your score vs. the scores of other players that day, and their previous PDGA ratings. So the ratings would be just as representative of your skill level as they would be on any other course.

Using the basketball analogy, it's more like every team having to play one game per year where the 3 point shot doesn't count, against an identical opponent, using the same officiating crew who call all the fouls exactly the same way. In terms of record, it would only hurt the teams that couldn't adjust their game plan.

On the subject of there being better courses in the country than Rock Hill for the USDGC, I don't think that the benefit of this tournament is as much about the strength of the course, as it is about how well the course shows on film. Which I think is a legitimate goal.

The "throw and distance" element used on 17 of the 18 holes is a significantly different design structure rare to find on even one hole on all of the courses globally that have been involved in producing the player ratings. While overall you would expect better players to still score better, it's quite possible that among players of similar ratings, some will handle the throw and distance challenge better than others. Unless this becomes a very common structure in course design (like having trees), then these round ratings shouldn't be included.

Some people handle every event differently. I'm 956 rated but in my last 3 tournaments I have thrown 1020,1000,1009 but with the other scores included, I wont see a rating increase. Because a few people play 4 rounds better than their averages and some play 4 worse, doesnt mean a score shouldnt count. If that was the case... we should just all show up Saturday morning, give Feldberg a check for 15K and everyone could go home. Thats the point of the tournament...you always have the ability to play better or worse. If the event was totally unlined but the wind was 65 MPH for 4 days that would be jsut as punative and unlike any tournament held this year. Those ratings would hold up because AGAIN ratings are based on that event, that condition, and those competitors. They all play the same rules. Thats why no ratings rounds should ever be discounted. If you go OB it is your fault. I played the course this week. A 950 rated player. I went OB once. Shot 74. I putt like a blind yedi. The course is fair and in bounds is extremely fair if you land where they want you to land. If you try to skip it that is the risk YOU take.

Quit whining and play the course presented to you and ALL your competitors..