• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

This disc is looking more and more like MONEY all the time.

Can't wait for my Ace Race.

Ace race 2012 is red (on the right) Stalker is orange

Good thing I got the orange one from you so you could tell the difference between the two in the picture. I don't know what they'll classify this disc as. Very long range mid range? Right now I like all of Discraft's mids (including the Zone). All very predictable, all easy to get distance with little power. Nice round today!

Could someone compare the rim of this disc to some others?

Also has anyone been throwing it FH? I'm primarily a RHFH thrower.

Maybe a profile pic?

I don't have a really good forehand, but I was able to forehand the heavier disc (177+) pretty well. One of my ALMOSTs was a forehand shot that went dead straight at the basket before fading JUST enough to miss the basket completely at the very end. The lighter one was OK when I threw it forehand, but for some reason I just felt better about the heavier one.

I'm curious for those of you that have bagged this year's Ace Race disc, what disc did it replace or push out of the bag? While I enjoyed it and thought it was a very good disc, I just couldn't justify adding a new mold that wouldn't get a ton of use or removing one of the molds I know very well from the bag. Also, what role has everyone that has bagged it relegated it to?

I thought I'd be able to use it but it's just too much of a tweener disc. There's always something else that would perform better for me. On the other hand, I took my sister disc golfing for her second time and it worked well as a driver for her. My impression is that it's a great beginner disc for those who are taking the path of starting with putters and mids and want to move up to something in between.

To me it's a great short fairway disc. Not much faster than a mid if any at all. Dead straight 250-275. When powered down has a small fade on the end. Kinda fills the void of throwing a mid hard vs. powering down a fairway driver. I can't power down a teebird well and stalkers fade when I take too much off of them. It may not get a lot of use but for midrange low ceiling shots and dead straight it may find a special spot.

I thought I'd be able to use it but it's just too much of a tweener disc. There's always something else that would perform better for me. On the other hand, I took my sister disc golfing for her second time and it worked well as a driver for her. My impression is that it's a great beginner disc for those who are taking the path of starting with putters and mids and want to move up to something in between.

That is pretty much my experience with it as well. Every time I thought about throwing it, I would just prefer to throw my buzzz. I also found that I could consistently throw my buzzz further. I did really like the amount of glide it had, though.

6.5 - did it push any discs out of a role or from your bag?

To me it's a great short fairway disc. Not much faster than a mid if any at all. Dead straight 250-275. When powered down has a small fade on the end. Kinda fills the void of throwing a mid hard vs. powering down a fairway driver. I can't power down a teebird well and stalkers fade when I take too much off of them. It may not get a lot of use but for midrange low ceiling shots and dead straight it may find a special spot.

YES. So much this.

It basically fits in the slot I tried to fill with the Stalker.

for me it filled a gap in the bag. i throw scouts as mids and xs for fairways. the ar12 fit the role In between not a big gap but the disc is so easy to throw that even when i don't use it for a while I just pull it out and it does its thing almost every time. It is nice for lower ceiling mid shots that take advante of its glide.

I have an ESP stalker that is dead straight if I keep it low. This disc just seems to do it much easier. Mine is marked170-172 so it's lighter. It holds an anny much easier than a stalker. It hasn't booted anything out of my bag yet. I haven't had it long and have only used it in field practice because I have 2 tourneys next weekend and didn't figure I could use it for tourney play yet. I will def. start using it after next weekend. Even my mids have more movement so I am liking the straight flight def. a tunnel disc

I have an ESP stalker that is dead straight if I keep it low. This disc just seems to do it much easier. Mine is marked170-172 so it's lighter. It holds an anny much easier than a stalker. It hasn't booted anything out of my bag yet. I haven't had it long and have only used it in field practice because I have 2 tourneys next weekend and didn't figure I could use it for tourney play yet. I will def. start using it after next weekend. Even my mids have more movement so I am liking the straight flight def. a tunnel disc

Be careful not to use it in any PDGA sanctioned tournaments. The disc is not yet PDGA approved, and as such, may get you DQ'ed from a tournament depending on the TD's mood. It probably won't be approved until late October or early November.

Yep it's gonna sit out for a while. I played tonight and threw a few second drives to test it out on the course. Wow! Dead straight, hyzer if u want to, anny if u want to. Whichever line I put it on it held it. If anyone has a 170-172 any color I'd get another1. Looks like I won't be able to enter 1so I'll have to just trade or buy more of them.

Yep it's gonna sit out for a while. I played tonight and threw a few second drives to test it out on the course. Wow! Dead straight, hyzer if u want to, anny if u want to. Whichever line I put it on it held it. If anyone has a 170-172 any color I'd get another1. Looks like I won't be able to enter 1so I'll have to just trade or buy more of them.

You might be able to pay the fee and just have the TD mail you the player's pack. At the event I played, there were a number of people that did this, and the TD made sure to hold some discs out for them.

ARD 2012 is to stalker
As eagle is to teebird

I disagree, The ARD is more understable... unless you're comparing it to a beat in dx eagle... then I suppose I can see the comparison. But I've never thrown a champ eagle that flips as easily as this does.

for clarification, are you thinking eagle or eagle-L? Either way I think the ARD is understable by comparison but it's def closer to and EL.

I disagree, The ARD is more understable... unless you're comparing it to a beat in dx eagle... then I suppose I can see the comparison. But I've never thrown a champ eagle that flips as easily as this does.

for clarification, are you thinking eagle or eagle-L? Either way I think the ARD is understable by comparison but it's def closer to and EL.
I don't believe he was comparing the disc to a eagle at all.
ARD 2012 is to stalker
As eagle is to teebird
He was pointing out that they are similar, yet different. The eagle/teebird and the ARD/stalker.

It's definitely a tweeter that some people will have no use for. In my opinion, it might be flippy for a seasoned harder throwing player but for us 300-325 throwers its just about right.