• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 DG Tour - Minneapolis and Northern Wisconsin

TempleOfDoom

Eagle Member
In the preliminary stages of planning my 2013 tour. Current plan is to fly into Minneapolis shortly after Labor day. Courses on the itinerary at this point are as follows:
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC
Bryant Lake Park
Hidden Lake DGC
Kaposia Park
Oakwood Park
The Valley DGC
Axldog Acres DGC
Brickyard
Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill
Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge
Highbridge Hills - Highbridge Gold
Highbridge Hills - The Bear
Highbridge Hills - Whitetail
Highbridge Hills - Woodland Greens
Mont du Lac - White Cedar
Rollin Ridge
Sandy Point Resort DG Ranch
Silver Creek Park
Standing Rocks
Tower Ridge Park - I
Winter Park
Yulga
Zobel Park

Any of these I should skip? Anything can't miss in the same area? How are the bugs that time of year (mid September)?

Awesome to see you've got Mont Du Lac's White Cedar on there. A definite must play if you're coming through. I would also play their Eagle's Peak course too if you're here anyways!
Not too much else around the Duluth/Superior area that I can recommend seeing the courses you've got lined up.

Bug season is long past when September rolls around.

That's a great list. PM me for Rollin' Ridge if you want. I may even join you for Silver Creek if desired; I've not yet played a couple of the new holes; including the lighthouse bucket!

can be a great time to play in this area, or maybe it will be 100 degrees with 90% humidity, or it could be snowing.

anyways ill come out to a few of the MN courses and show you all the good spots to lose a disc...

you could pass on Yulga if you run short of time. i grew up in Wisco and played most of those courses and they are all really fun.

Bold list. Be sure to ice your arm

Bugs shouldn't be too bad in September, but it depends on if we get a frost or not.

I can't speak to the MN courses on your list, but here's my take on some of the WI ones you have listed.

I've never been the biggest fan of the Brickyard in Menomonee, WI - I just don't think it's worth playing a treacherous 9 hole. Wakonda is a great 18 hole in Menomonee. Or play both at Tower Ridge in Eau Claire.

Winter Park is nice, but doesn't have concrete pads which is a deal breaker for me.
Yulga in Steven's Point is OK, but Standing Rocks is Far better and has two full 18's.

Zobel and Rolling Ridge are PHENOMENAL, but if you're coming all this way, I'd spend more time at HighBridge playing those courses. 6 courses; all awesome.

If you're going to be down near Milwaukee, Dretzka and Brown Deer are two of the best in the state, and Madison has 4 great courses. If you're in need of a tour guide hive me a ring when you get to central/lower Wisconsin.

How are the bugs now ? Black fly season over yet ?

Assuming he meant up in Duluth which is 2+ hours north of the Twin Cities the bugs will still be around in September down here-- just not as bad as now. The flies are out in full force with the recent heat wave as well as mosquitoes. When the water dries up and humidity drops, so will the majority of flying bugs. They last until the first freeze generally which can be sept. to nov. you never can be sure about the weather here.

So to answer your question, it depends where you are :p

calvary and riverside in st could are cool since your going to hidden lake. some people really like HSSA but personally im not that fond of it. usually people would tell you to go to that. also acorn is good if you wanna stop by, but it can get crowded at time and does bring a little scummier of a crowd. hit me up and ill try to make it out to the twin cities and play a round or two with you

Great list. At Highbridge, getting carts for Gold and Granite is awesome. Not necessary, but a nice break for the legs after all those courses. Also, if you can glow, Woodland Greens is great for it.

Mind the bear on the Bear.

I'm somewhat out of the way between Oakwood and Menomonie, but if you need a place to stay I could likely put you up for the night (depending on dates) and I could show off the course in my back yard and possibly join you in Menomonie and/or Eau Claire. PM me if interested.

Enjoy, many of the courses you have listed are on my top list, this is my favorite area of the country for DG.

Dont skip winter park! Tee pads are just fine. Big eau plaine would be a great course to play just south of standing rocks. Sugar creek in door county is worth playing. Appleton near rollin ridge has some good courses(plamann and ohauser). Black bear in crandon is great but is kinda out of the way of all the other courses in wi. You choose a good month, Sept is probably the best time to dg in Wisconsin.

calvary and riverside in st could are cool since your going to hidden lake. some people really like HSSA but personally im not that fond of it. usually people would tell you to go to that. also acorn is good if you wanna stop by, but it can get crowded at time and does bring a little scummier of a crowd. hit me up and ill try to make it out to the twin cities and play a round or two with you

Depending on how much time you have, Cavalry and Riverside are good choices in St. Cloud. If you have a lot of time you could play Mayhew and Millstream in the area as well.

I should point out that the current course list is already too long. I will probably have to drop a couple as it is. So anything I add is going to have to replace a course that is already on there. Please make your case for why a new course is more worthy than a course already listed. Thanks for the help. Food and beer suggestions also welcome.

Play all you have listed. Possibly consider big eau plaine instead of yelga. Its certainly more of a challenge then yelga and standing rocks. atleast from long pads it is, there is 3 different pads there. Its a tough one though cause I almost like yelga more then standing rocks(playing all three can easily be done in a day, standing rocks is a must. It's just more of a pitch and putt).in your list Be sure to play rollin ridge silver creek, winter park,sandy point, all at highbridge! I feel these are the best in wi. Brown deer in mil is another I would strongly recommend but probably out of your way.

This might be a little out of your way, but I absolutely loved Justin Trails Big Brother. The golf itself is maybe 3.50-3.75 rated, but the land it is on is out of this world.

This picture really does not do it justice since the panorama is so much bigger, but this is the most breath-taking view (for my personal tastes) of any course I have played.

8697f419.jpg

To do this, you could head south down the lake and play Dretzka & Brown Deer in Milwaukee, and then head West to Madison and play Elver and Heistand (and Vallarta Ast - some love it, but I am not a huge fan). Also in that area is Birds Ruins which I have not been to, but looks quite nice.

As was mentioned, skip Yulga.....and replace it with Big Eau Pleine. A really nice course!

Also, I do not believe Highbridge White Tail is completed.

Anyone been to Valleyfair in Shakopee? I like to get in some roller coasters when I go on vacation.

Valleyfair is pretty decent. Not quite top-tier for amusement parks but still offers some thrills.

Key rides- The Wild Thing- big green coaster that occupies the whole side of the park near the road. Fairly fast and has two decent drops right away.

Power Tower- Shoots you up really fast or slowly brings you up and drops you.

Renegade- Wooden coaster, newest big ride. Lots of quick turns and a few drops.

Corkscrew- A classic coaster with a couple inversions

Extreme Swing- Very simple and very fun. A large swing.

Steel Venom- A hanging coaster like things that goes just forward and backward, IMO it's best in the front or the back of the ride.

In regards to disc golf, the two other St. Cloud courses are not any better than Hidden Lake.

Standing rocks is an absolute must play, my favorite course in WI (the lowish rating is mostly from when there were way less holes there) and Big Eau Plaine is many times better than yulga. Don't bother with anything in the fox cities or green bay except for the nearby rollin ridge (which is fun but the long and medium tees lack in hole length variety, but not shot selection, and are both a beast of a round while the short tees are still challenging but very fun and actually have deuce opprotunities). If you play the ridge you should definitley play the nearby silver creek in Manitowoc, 27 really enjoyable holes with great variety. If you are in milwaukee I would also highly recommend brown deer, a well balanced tight woods and open bomb course, challenging but a ton of fun) and maybe dretzka but its not as good as brown deer.

If you can, play Bethel! It's a private college course, but it's awesome! They are trying to get a full 18 in before Worlds. It's only a 10 hole right now, but it's still worth it. Definitely a hidden gem!

Latest posts