• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern tour

Burchfield is looking iffy - might spend more time visiting my cousin. I will know more tomorrow evening.

If I skip Burchfield I will probably hit Hudson Mills on Friday, time TBD.

I got a buddy coming in from out of town Friday, we'd be happy to have you join us at Hudson.
Burchfield will be too far for him traveling the other side of the state but Hudson is definitely doable.

Flexible on course or layouts, I can play whatever you're up for.

I agree with Bogey that Burchfield is the better destination, but Hudson is still 4 star and has nowhere near the mosquito problem Burchfield has right now.

Last edited:
Haven't played Hudson Mills, so can't compare contrast, but BnM def knows his stuff. ;)

Me too. That's why I'm a little disappointed in not knowing how the red dogs been dealing with eating out of a Wombat. I had a perfectly perfect green platebee available.

Oh you want the REALLY important news. :rolleyes:

Red Dog has been eating from a Starburst Prime Judge. I don't bag it, so the dog drool does not interfere with grip.

Wombat3 is an excellent choice for on-course canine drinking needs, as the bead and slight dome provide increased water capacity for hot, Midwest summer days. :D

Both courses at Deerfield are very solid.

If you end up at Hudson Mills after 4PM'ish, I could meet you. But if your already meeting Nick, I don't want a 3-some to slow you down.

You got places to go, courses to bag... and maybe even some zzzz's to catch. ;)

Re: Deerfield

Be sure to grab a scorecard/map when you pay park entrance fee. Both courses are kinda intertwined in spots, and map really helps.

Deerfield Orig has yellow Innova baskets. Wildwood has regular Chainstars ...which makes it harder to play a hole on the wrong course.

But without map, it's pretty easy to arrive at a tee for the other course in quite a few spots.

I was headed to Ohio, pulled off the highway for gas, and saw a sign for Hudson Mills Metropark. So now I'm at Hudson Mills, about to play a round or two.

If you see an old guy with a red dog, that's probably me. :D

I was headed to Ohio, pulled off the highway for gas, and saw a sign for Hudson Mills Metropark. So now I'm at Hudson Mills, about to play a round or two.

If you see an old guy with a red dog, that's probably me. :D

Hope you enjoyed it! Wasn't able to make it out today, cuz sometimes, work sux. :(

Hope you enjoyed it! Wasn't able to make it out today, cuz sometimes, work sux. :(

Yes, Hudson Mills was fun, except for a) getting rained on the last 9 and b) holy crackers there was a ton of poison ivy. Skeeters were not bad, tho.

I can't complain about the rain - that was the first precip during any round in a week and a half.

Course updates:

Deerfield Park - Original
Hammond Hill DGC with cousin (never played before) and nephew (fairly new player)
Burchfield Park - Devil's Den (but signs say "Renegade's Trail")
Hudson Mills - Original (18)
Hudson Mills - Monster(18)

Stayed an extra day with Michigan cousins so the return trip itinerary is busted. Might try to make it home Saturday with stops at 2MRX and/or Linbrook.

You did a good job selecting courses and holes to play. Skipping the letter holes at Hudson Mills eliminates most of the redundancy. Yeah, there's plenty of ivy there, but if you think that's bad. good thing you didn't hit Independence lake. Great disc golf, but more PI than any other courses in the area.

Linbrook is easily the best niner I've played, anywhere. Doesn't feel like a niner at all.

Final totals for the Great Midwestern Tour:

31 new courses
3 new states (IN, IL, MI)
1 new DGCR top 25 course (Highbridge Hills – Blueberry Hill #14)
1 new DGCR top state course (Fairfield Park in IL)
1 wedding
1 bag of bones seemingly in no worse shape than before the trip :rolleyes:

I greatly appreciate all of the helpful tips and suggestions. I also greatly appreciate DGCR members who kindly served as course guides, plus one that I bumped into by pure random chance:

Voges
Flyboy
wolfhaley
jakebake91
darkgreen

Had a delightful time visiting Michigan cousins on the return trip so I spent an extra day there. Consequently the last few days were more improvised than planned, so apologies to anyone who had expressed interest in meeting up.

I have now played 248 courses in 31 states. One of my favorite things about this weird hobby is seeing how course designers create interesting and challenging courses out of widely varying landscape and topography across the country.

Incidentally, Red Dog is up to 115 courses in 18 states. I can't really say she has "played" the courses – lack of opposable thumbs works against her – but she has certainly walked and peed on all of them. ;)

Final tally:

Central Assembly of God (3.33) 9
Liberty Christian Fellowship (-) 2
Phillips Park (2.34) 9
No Boundary – Beginner (3.38) 6
No Boundary – Main (4.20) 18
Woodlands Park (3.04) 18
Mastodon DGC (4.25) 18 – new state: IN
The Canyons (4.49) 27 – new state: IL
Central Park (3.42) 9
Adler Park (3.22) 9
Fairfield Park (4.58) 18
Fox River – Red Fox (2.82) 9
Fox River – Grey Fox (4.05) 9
Silver Fox DGC (4.24) 18
Wilderness DGC (4..60) 18
McDill Pond DGC (2.64) 9
Yulga Park (3.89) 18
Tower Ridge – I (4.07) 18
Tower Ridge – II (3.39) 18
Highbridge Hills – Granite Ridge (4.57) 18
Highbridge Hills – Blueberry Hill (4.69) 18
Highbridge Hills – Woodland Greens (3.69) 18
Powder Mill (4.09) 18 – new state: MI
Silver Creek (3.67) 18
Deerfield Park – Original (4.26) 18
Hammond Hill DGC (3.47) 18 – played with cousin and nephew
Burchfield – Devil's Den (4.40) 18
Hudson Mills Metropark – Original (4.14) 18
Hudson Mills Metropark – Monster (4.17) 18
Two Mile Run Extension (3.61) 9
Linbrook DGC (3.56) 9

That is one hell of a trip. You bagged a TON of excellent courses. I'm a little bit jealous :p

Glad you and the red dog made it back in one piece and no worse for the wear. If you're ever this way again let me know, and I'll do the same if I'm ever over there again. :thmbup:

That is one hell of a trip. You bagged a TON of excellent courses. I'm a little bit jealous :p

Glad you and the red dog made it back in one piece and no worse for the wear. If you're ever this way again let me know, and I'll do the same if I'm ever over there again. :thmbup:
I hate when people steak my thoughts. :p

Final totals for the Great Midwestern Tour:

31 new courses
3 new states (IN, IL, MI)
1 new DGCR top 25 course (Highbridge Hills – Blueberry Hill #14)
1 new DGCR top state course (Fairfield Park in IL)
1 wedding
1 bag of bones seemingly in no worse shape than before the trip :rolleyes:

I greatly appreciate all of the helpful tips and suggestions. I also greatly appreciate DGCR members who kindly served as course guides, plus one that I bumped into by pure random chance:

Voges
Flyboy
wolfhaley
jakebake91
darkgreen

Had a delightful time visiting Michigan cousins on the return trip so I spent an extra day there. Consequently the last few days were more improvised than planned, so apologies to anyone who had expressed interest in meeting up.

I have now played 248 courses in 31 states. One of my favorite things about this weird hobby is seeing how course designers create interesting and challenging courses out of widely varying landscape and topography across the country.

Incidentally, Red Dog is up to 115 courses in 18 states. I can't really say she has "played" the courses – lack of opposable thumbs works against her – but she has certainly walked and peed on all of them. ;)

Final tally:

Central Assembly of God (3.33) 9
Liberty Christian Fellowship (-) 2
Phillips Park (2.34) 9
No Boundary – Beginner (3.38) 6
No Boundary – Main (4.20) 18
Woodlands Park (3.04) 18
Mastodon DGC (4.25) 18 – new state: IN
The Canyons (4.49) 27 – new state: IL
Central Park (3.42) 9
Adler Park (3.22) 9
Fairfield Park (4.58) 18