• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

Having spotted for 2012 Worlds I can tell you that it's actually a ton of fun to spot. Get to meet lots of players (all who were appreciative) and watch some fine golf. Get after it volunteers!

I am kind of hoping this is the main selling point. As an Am's Worlds Championship you are going to be treated to some great golf. Even the bad shots are coming from good to great players, so bad shots will have a lot of drama with it.

Every tournament I have been to I have always seen spotters and volunteers in a great mood. It must be a blast and time must fly by. Every group always stops and talks to them, asking how others are doing, what they have seen, looking for tips on the hole, or just chatting in general. Trust me, spotters are invaluable because if nothing else, they save you a lot of time and frustration as you will not have to search for your disc. I am very good at finding the fairway, but when I get off them, I am incredibly deep. I am notorious for spending way too much time looking for discs; in tournaments I am sure I would have been called for a "lost disc" many times if not for spotters. Conversely, nothing feels better than impressing a spotter with a massive shot.

Last year at the Des Moines Challenge I was only one of three players who cleared this long right turn bootleg. I wish I could remember the hole, but regardless I had it all but parked. I would have been the only one for the day to birdie it. Naturally I butchered the 20 foot putt, but it was a lot of fun up to that point considering how excited the spotter was to chase after it and then see it make it through that gap.

Where can I get more info on Mixed Doubles? All I can find is that its at Valley on the 19th with a players meeting at 9am.

Would love to know format and see how many other teams are signed up???

Mixed Format is usually Best Shot in the morning but you can only use the same player's drive twice in a row before having to use the other player's drive. Afternoon is usually Structured Alternate Shot where the woman always tees on the odd holes and the male on the even tees and alternate until holed out.

Obviously the sooner the better but I have not been given an actual deadline. As slots fill up, and unfortunately this is not happening very fast, it may be harder to get the preferred shift and or course you may want, but I am sure that they will accept volunteers all the way up to the last second.

well no one is going to volunteer their time for something that sounds miserable haha. ill hit you up as it gets closer.

I have been unofficially made in charge of finding volunteers to work Monday through Thursday at Am Worlds. Specifically I am now representing the Cub/ Boy Scout aspect of finding volunteers. Through a generous donation if the Boy Scouts can find 360 shifts of volunteers we will receive a new, fully paid for 18 hole course.

Shifts run from either 8am to 12pm or 2pm to 6pm. Courses to be covered will be Oakwood, The Valley, Kaposia, Kenwood Trails, or Bryant Lake. You can volunteer for any number of shifts and number of days on any course you want. The goal is to fill all 360 spots. Mostly we are looking for spotters, specifically on blind holes, and a few swimmers (most notably The Valley Holes 11 and 13).

All volunteers will receive a t-shirt obviously saying volunteer on it as well as snacks and water to keep you hydrated. Those who volunteer for both shifts on a given day will also be provided a meal. As I am only representing the Boy Scout aspect of volunteers, I cannot speak on anything more regarding compensation, whether there is more to be had or what the thought process was behind it. I am simply looking for volunteers. Again, if we get all shifts filled, we will get a brand new 18 hole course, all expenses paid.

If you are willing to do this, I need a firm commitment as well as your full name, phone number, and preferred shift and location.

do you have a flyer for this? I could make you one but need the contact info.

a google doc sheet where people could sign up for times/courses as a temp schedule would be nice too if at all possible. LMK if you need help. I cant really promise any time for the event given my work but for sure will help round up people as needed and be there if possible. text at 612-568-854five if you want or email [email protected]

do you have a flyer for this? I could make you one but need the contact info.

a google doc sheet where people could sign up for times/courses as a temp schedule would be nice too if at all possible. LMK if you need help. I cant really promise any time for the event given my work but for sure will help round up people as needed and be there if possible. text at 612-568-854five if you want or email [email protected]

Give me a day or two I will give you what I have so far. Thanks again.

Lost 2 valks in the pond on hole 11 at the valley in St. Paul. 1 was an orange 5x jk valk and the other was a maroon 4x valk. Both were kinda close to making it to the other side of the pond. Maybe between 15-30 feet from the shore line. There was a guy with waders on looking for disc but did not find mine. Reward if anyone finds and returns them.

Lost 2 valks in the pond on hole 11 at the valley in St. Paul. 1 was an orange 5x jk valk and the other was a maroon 4x valk. Both were kinda close to making it to the other side of the pond. Maybe between 15-30 feet from the shore line. There was a guy with waders on looking for disc but did not find mine. Reward if anyone finds and returns them.

All discs found, assuming they were found by tournament staff or players, will make their way to GGGT. It was amazing the amount of stuff turned in last year and how long we sat on stuff until we just had to donate it.

I am not working there this year, but I can almost guarantee it will be the same drill. Give them a few days to get settled from the tournament and then call in and ask about your discs.

So I noticed on the draft schedule for Am Worlds that between Wednesday and Thursday there is the "Great Shuffle". So what is being shuffled? Each round after the first are the cards not grouped by similar score?

So I noticed on the draft schedule for Am Worlds that between Wednesday and Thursday there is the "Great Shuffle". So what is being shuffled? Each round after the first are the cards not grouped by similar score?

Divisions that have multiple pools (Advanced) will have played 3 rounds each on the same three courses so the players will be shuffled so that the best players are now together in the same pool. Just because you start in pool B doesn't mean you stay with the same group after Wednesday.

Ah ha! Thanks. I was wondering how that would work with each pool playing different courses at different times, and as you point out by the time of the shuffle all pools will have played the three same courses. I should have seen that. Thank you.

All discs found, assuming they were found by tournament staff or players, will make their way to GGGT. It was amazing the amount of stuff turned in last year and how long we sat on stuff until we just had to donate it.

I am not working there this year, but I can almost guarantee it will be the same drill. Give them a few days to get settled from the tournament and then call in and ask about your discs.

^^^^^
Thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call

And I didn't at in the majestic but played a round after the tourney was done so I hope they sent someone to fish the discs out.

I was #87 on the waitlist and got an email today saying that I am now registered.

I am traveling from NY by myself=== anyone looking for someone to rent a room with?

I was #87 on the waitlist and got an email today saying that I am now registered.

I am traveling from NY by myself=== anyone looking for someone to rent a room with?

#87!?!?! I started at 20 and have only made it down to 8, I'm guessing you got into an age protected division?

Thanks for the link!

I was 87th on the list altogether, but IDK what number I was for MA1