• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds full- Another registration fiasco?

Relax.

Is anybody saying that? Other than the original post?

The consensus seems to be that this year's registration is not a problem. The discussion is whether, if the trend continues and it becomes a matter of minutes, not 10 hours, in the future, whether a change will be in order. And whether that change might be made before the problem occurs.

Exactly. I was in the boat of "it's your fault, Schmendrick" until it was pointed out that it didn't fill for ten hours not because that was an allotted time, rather that's just how long it took. Next year it could be nine, or five, or one. It will gradually fill faster and faster until it DOES become about who has the best internet connection or the fastest fingers.

The real pros need to speak their minds to the PDGA.

From the criteria, this looks like what people want. No reason to invent another random set of criteria. Just open registration up to touring pros one week early. Given that there are only 119 current touring pros, even if they all had signed up early, there would be spaces left.

I think it's a mistake to stop at touring pros, the ability for higher rated local players to get in to take a shot at the touring pros should also be extended to those who have earned it.

If there are only 119 current Touring Card Holders (and 24 Women), there will still be plenty of spots for any higher rated local players when registration opens to all North Americans (provided they earned the invite).

One small change to the current format is all that is needed:

Registration opens for Two Weeks for International players with invites
Registration opens for One Week for Canadian players with invites.
Registration opens for One Week for all Current Touring Card Holders WITH invites.
Spots are reserved for returning World Champions for one month (same as 2015).
Registration opens for USA for three weeks to all invited players for the division they were invited.
Registration opens for "blah, blah, blah" isn't even necessary because the event will fill in 10 minutes the day it opens to all USA players.

In 2016, if you aren't an international player, a touring card holder or the current World Champ, you really will need to set an alarm and have a good internet connection to get into Pro Worlds Emporia.

Exactly. I was in the boat of "it's your fault, Schmendrick" until it was pointed out that it didn't fill for ten hours not because that was an allotted time, rather that's just how long it took. Next year it could be nine, or five, or one. It will gradually fill faster and faster until it DOES become about who has the best internet connection or the fastest fingers.

The real pros need to speak their minds to the PDGA.

In theory. Trending indicates this could be the case.

I see no need in giving "touring pros" special considerations. Under an 'every point matters, not just the first 750' based system like the one I proposed, they'd be at the top of the pyramid anyway. Its those local pro players who might be on the registration bubble that such a system would protect.

I do know this much. PDGA membership is growing. Barring a change in the tournament structure itself (i.e. splitting the open and age protected divisions into separate events hence opening up more spots at both), the number of people getting enough points for an invite is going to grow significantly larger than the number of spots available at Worlds. If something isn't done soon, the old guard PDGA folks who want Worlds to be more of a family gathering/festival/convention experience are eventually going to be outweighed by people who see little value in that tradition, particularly if there other opportunities for that experience elsewhere.

What's the point of a touring card?

Voting for POY and ROY. Which not a lot of them probably do, since that's not about THEM.

That's about it. Except for the RARE, I mean RRAARREE TD that holds spots for Touring Card holders. I think last year I could count them on like one finger.

The only reason why people are even mentioning that McBeth might not be the GOAT because he hasn't won the USDGC is because until recently, the only players ever to win the USDGC had multiple Worlds titles.

What's your definition of "recently"? There hasn't been a USDGC champion that also was a World Champion since Doss in 2008. Locastro, Shoestrings, and Brinster have won the last 5 of these. All before were World Champs of course...

What's your definition of "recently"? There hasn't been a USDGC champion that also was a World Champion since Doss in 2008. Locastro, Shoestrings, and Brinster have won the last 5 of these. All before were World Champs of course...
Well in this case... Recently = 5 years/past 3 champs.

How many people who posted in this thread were/are actually planning to go to Worlds this year?

Dannyboy said:
How many people who posted in this thread were/are actually planning to go to Worlds this year?

*crickets*

Very few I'd suspect. But this forum provides an independent voice for all matters disc golf. I see no harm in people using it to state the present situation is unacceptable, and to plant seeds for change for the future.

*crickets*

Crickets? That must be the PDGA's forum that you're hearing. If there was a place for this matter to be discussed, you'd think it would be there, but no, just the usual organizational Pravda.

Thanks. I'm a big Fight Club fan and it seems about right. You have to hear Brad Pitt delivering the lines for it to work. Sorry if it seemed like a troll post.

No need to apologize! Fight Club is in my top three favorite movies of all time. Not to mention I have read most of Chuck Palahniuk's books. :thmbup: