• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear

I like the commentary. My minor criticism of CCDG is that there is a slight telephone booth quality to the audio. The commentary would feel more authentic if you could eliminate that. Can you hang some blankets up around the room you recording in?

I like that the CCDG commentary sounds like a couple buddies sitting together watching. Especially when someone comes into the room and they talk to them off mic.

I am not sarcastic that I like their commentary and the style they do it, but I do agree it is one place they lack a little professionalism in the finished product.

I like that the CCDG commentary sounds like a couple buddies sitting together watching. Especially when someone comes into the room and they talk to them off mic.

I am not sarcastic that I like their commentary and the style they do it, but I do agree it is one place they lack a little professionalism in the finished product.
All they need is to hang some blankets from the ceiling around the area where they do the commentary to cut down on some of that reverb. Sounds like the room they are in has a bunch of space for the audio waves to bounce around.

All they need is to hang some blankets from the ceiling around the area where they do the commentary to cut down on some of that reverb. Sounds like the room they are in has a bunch of space for the audio waves to bounce around.

I do it in my living room so I don't wake the baby and wife. I don't think I own enough blankets to do this.

I've been using a mic on a little stand set on a table 1 ft away from my face for the last 6 months or so. I think I'm just going to get a headset instead. It should cut out the echo.

Is the echo present on Alex's channel too? That's what I'll sound like too after getting a headset

Anyone have a good rec for a headset?

I do it in my living room so I don't wake the baby and wife. I don't think I own enough blankets to do this.

I've been using a mic on a little stand set on a table 1 ft away from my face for the last 6 months or so. I think I'm just going to get a headset instead. It should cut out the echo.

Is the echo present on Alex's channel too? That's what I'll sound like too after getting a headset

Anyone have a good rec for a headset?
Actually... try putting a cloth/blanket down on the table. Tabletops are very uniform solid surfaces which are perfect for reflecting soundwaves.

A ribbon microphone might be better than a headset. Ribbons traditionally have a warmer sound and they require a nice input signal (loud voice) which helps to cut out a bunch of unwanted ambient noise. We use them for voice-over work more than our nicer condenser mics all the time because they sound so great.

Or you could always take the laptop to a walk-in closet or similar space that you might have in your house. Plenty of closets have been turned into DIY 'vocal booths.'

Alex's channel actually seems to have a worse time with echo; you can definitely hear it towards the end of the latest video several times

Actually... try putting a cloth/blanket down on the table. Tabletops are very uniform solid surfaces which are perfect for reflecting soundwaves.

A ribbon microphone might be better than a headset. Ribbons traditionally have a warmer sound and they require a nice input signal (loud voice) which helps to cut out a bunch of unwanted ambient noise. We use them for voice-over work more than our nicer condenser mics all the time because they sound so great.

Or you could always take the laptop to a walk-in closet or similar space that you might have in your house. Plenty of closets have been turned into DIY 'vocal booths.'

I live in SoCal on one income in a 1960's house. I don't have walk in closets :p

Do you have a rec for one that won't break my bank?

Would this also solve the low buzzing problem? That **** is driving me crazy lately.

Thanks for the help guys!

Alex's channel actually seems to have a worse time with echo; you can definitely hear it towards the end of the latest video several times

Damn :(

Geez, guys. It's Disc Golf, not the Bolshoy or London Philharmonic.
As for me, and my apparently lowbrow preferences, I think it's fine.

For goodness sake, the guy is busting his rump to get us these fantastic and FREE videos about DG on the other side of the US (I'm in NC), and you're complaining about the sound quality of the commentary.
The reason it sounds like it's being recorded in a big room is becasue IT IS BEING RECORDED IN HIS LIVING ROOM!

If it means that much to you, send him some $$ to by the microphone and blankets.

Sorry for the rant, and I don't want to single out anyone on this thread, but the sense of entitlement in the DG community baffles me.

I live in SoCal on one income in a 1960's house. I don't have walk in closets :p

Would this also solve the low buzzing problem? That **** is driving me crazy lately.

Thanks for the help guys!

Damn :(
The 'low buzz' is most likely coming from a power source you are using. What is your signal chain for the mic? Is is plugged into a mixer getting phantom power or anything else along the chain that might be drawing power from a wall outlet besides the computer? In addition... any florescent lighting in your house? Try turning those off... they 'hum' at a frequency and tone that audio equipment can sometimes pick up.

For the time being there is an easy way to remove a consistent buzz like that in Audition using the 'noise reduction' effect.

https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/how-to/noise-hiss-reduction-audition-cc.html

There should be similar tools in any other audio editor you might have access to if you aren't using Adobe.

For goodness sake, the guy is busting his rump to get us these fantastic and FREE videos about DG on the other side of the US (I'm in NC), and you're complaining about the sound quality of the commentary.
The reason it sounds like it's being recorded in a big room is becasue IT IS BEING RECORDED IN HIS LIVING ROOM!

If it means that much to you, send him some $$ to by the microphone and blankets.

Sorry for the rant, and I don't want to single out anyone on this thread, but the sense of entitlement in the DG community baffles me.

We aren't complaining, it is constructive feedback. Most have sandwiched compliments around their criticisms.

But now that you said it, I will send some money their way.

http://ccdg.discgolf.io/support-central-coast-disc-golf

It's all good buddy! As long as people are nice about it I really don't mind constructive feedback. It's how we get better!

Love where your heart's at.

The money idea I'm with you on :) :thmbup::hfive:

The 'low buzz' is most likely coming from a power source you are using. What is your signal chain for the mic? Is is plugged into a mixer getting phantom power or anything else along the chain that might be drawing power from a wall outlet besides the computer? In addition... any florescent lighting in your house? Try turning those off... they 'hum' at a frequency and tone that audio equipment can sometimes pick up.

For the time being there is an easy way to remove a consistent buzz like that in Audition using the 'noise reduction' effect.

https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/how-to/noise-hiss-reduction-audition-cc.html

There should be similar tools in any other audio editor you might have access to if you aren't using Adobe.

The mic is plugged into my laptop via USB. It's a powered USB, so that's probably the problem right?

Sounds like I need a mixer and a ribbon mic? (any recs for either/both?)

No fluorescent lights. So it's probably not that.

I think I need to up my Adobe sub to the whole suite. Currently only have Premiere. It would be cool to have some audio tools, along with Aftereffects. I tried to do some noise reduction in Premiere, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect. I'd imagine Audition is better at that stuff.

Try a ground loop isolator, I've had success with this specific one.

I also had some solid success with a ModMic but ended up not going with it because of the extra cable hassle while I'm tearing it up in LoL (read: I'm Bronze 5). I could send it to you if you want to try that, but the ground loop isolator is one of the most important things to have in audio imho.

The mic is plugged into my laptop via USB. It's a powered USB, so that's probably the problem right?

Sounds like I need a mixer and a ribbon mic? (any recs for either/both?)

No fluorescent lights. So it's probably not that.
What mic are you using? I notice the echo issue more than the noise although both are annoying. Cheaper condenser mics with suspect shielding tend to pick up noise issues like I'm hearing in there.

I'd recommend trying the Shure SM57 with the X2U Adaptor before going to a mixer setup. I'm an engineer and dealer for most major professional A/V brands like Shure, Sennheiser, AT, Bose, JBL, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft, so I can hook you up. I also have access to drones.

yea i was going to recommend a Shure SM58 as the mic you should use. A 57 is pretty much the same. Basically the most rock solid microphones made in the history of recorded audio. the ribbon mic - while extremely nice and good at dealing with background noise - tend to be a bit more pricy. SM57/58's are around a hundred bucks. most decent ribbon mics are going to be several hundred dollars.

Using a more professional mic like this will definitely require you getting some sort of basic mixer or interface that will allow you to bring that analog XLR audio into your computer. USB connections always seem to be suspect and have some sort of background 'noise.' Moving away from that would be a good first step to cleaning up that signal.

What mic are you using? I notice the echo issue more than the noise although both are annoying. Cheaper condenser mics with suspect shielding tend to pick up noise issues like I'm hearing in there.

I'd recommend trying the Shure SM57 with the X2U Adaptor before going to a mixer setup. I'm an engineer and dealer for most major professional A/V brands like Shure, Sennheiser, AT, Bose, JBL, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft, so I can hook you up. I also have access to drones.

yea i was going to recommend a Shure SM58 as the mic you should use. A 57 is pretty much the same. Basically the most rock solid microphones made in the history of recorded audio. the ribbon mic - while extremely nice and good at dealing with background noise - tend to be a bit more pricy. SM57/58's are around a hundred bucks. most decent ribbon mics are going to be several hundred dollars.

Using a more professional mic like this will definitely require you getting some sort of basic mixer or interface that will allow you to bring that analog XLR audio into your computer. USB connections always seem to be suspect and have some sort of background 'noise.' Moving away from that would be a good first step to cleaning up that signal.

Thanks Guys!

Sidewinder if you're serious I will take you up on that! Shoot me an email at centralcoastdiscgolf at gmail when you have time, and we can figure it out.

Anon if I get the X2U adapter does that count as a basic mixer or interface? or is that something else I need?

(pardon the ignorance)