• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Dynamic Disc Commander backpack vs Fossa Disc Golf Tana Pro

Bhopkins1311

Bogey Member
(skip to 2nd paragraph for main question) I am playing to over the next few months lose 20lbs and to reward myself get a nice disc golf back around $150 and under. Right now I use the walmart innova starter bag. I think i over filled it -> 15 discs and in the texas heat they got kinds morphed...

The two bags I found so far that I like so far are the Dynamic Discs Commander Backpack & Fossa Disc Golf Tana Pro. I want a backpack style that will hold 18+ discs. These are both under $150. Does anybody have these bags that can share their experiences? Also I'm completely open to suggestion to other bags.

http://fossadiscgolf.com/collections/fossa-bags/products/tana-pro-black-black

https://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Dynamic-Discs-Commander-Backpack-Disc-Golf-Bag-p/4987.htm

d5649a795e5e84e36f916f12837f09dd.jpg

a8e3e690b1d049344f3374ac6aafff7f.jpg

I don't own the Fossa bag but I can tell you that the Commander bag is the following things:

A: Lightweight
B: Plenty of Pockets for organization
C: Holds 6-Mids & 10-Drivers in the main compartment easily
D: Holds 4 putters in the putter pockets easily
E: Stands up on Inclines Perfectly

Side Notes:
OGIO Quality Means Alot -
Feet at the bottom are helpful indeed

I will rebuttal with some really nice selling points for the Tana Pro:
- rubberized bottom is VERY tough
- straps and padding are quite plush. Some of the finest padding I've felt on a DG bag.
- 1000D Cordura construction: quite resistant to abrasion
- ample storage for accessories: the top deck is perfect for clothing and the sides fit swag, extras, etc. with ease.

Overall I think the Fossa Tana Pro is one of the finest bargains in the field today.
Pro Quality/Am Price

The padding is the biggest difference I've noticed when feeling them up side-by-side. I haven't played a round with either, but the Fossa padding is pretty damn nice. Both have ample storage, the Tana Pro seems a little tougher overall, but the commander felt lighter.

... That's all I got.

Peace! ;)

I know the foosa has enough storage space on top to fit a hoodie. Do you think if you folded one up the right way you could fit it in the large side wall pockets on the commander?

Thanks for the info. I ordered the commander anyways. It should be here Wednesday. On of the guys I play with pretty regularly just bought the fossa last week so if you can wait a week or two, which I know honestly I couldn't, I can give you a pretty good side by side comparison.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the commander anyways. It should be here Wednesday. On of the guys I play with pretty regularly just bought the fossa last week so if you can wait a week or two, which I know honestly I couldn't, I can give you a pretty good side by side comparison.
My birthday is may 2nd so im probably going to order it then so i can wait. I think im leaning toward the fossa tana pro. All things disc golf had a pretty good review of it and i like the style a little better then the commanders. Thanks everyone for all the great info

I've used a Fossa about 6 months. I like it overall.

Two things I don't like:

The adjustable straps seem to work their way tighter during the course of a round, I'm sure I can fix that.

The straps also are rather abrasive when they slide up my forearms as I am putting the bag on. Maybe I just have sensitive skin.

I was able to try on the commander yesterday and I have to say it is WIDE! Just a tad wider than a ranger and felt huge. I currently use a Shift and even though I like the layout of the commander backpack, I could not get over how wide it felt. The lack of padding on the back is another turn off. Had it been thicker then maybe I would consider it. I would highly suggest trying it out before buying.

Is it any wider than a Mahal with the side pockets stuffed full? I liked to joke that I needed a 'wide load' sign with that many discs in the Mahal.

I am considering the tana pro as well. The only thing I am really concerned about is the single water bottle holder. I play a lot of mountain type courses and drink a lot of fluid. Will the tall zip pocket fit like a normal 16 oz bottle? Or maybe a couple beers? How about the zip pocket behind the putter pocket? Thinking it may be worth shelling out the extra 80 for a grip ax15.

I am considering the tana pro as well. The only thing I am really concerned about is the single water bottle holder. I play a lot of mountain type courses and drink a lot of fluid. Will the tall zip pocket fit like a normal 16 oz bottle? Or maybe a couple beers? How about the zip pocket behind the putter pocket? Thinking it may be worth shelling out the extra 80 for a grip ax15.

The tall zip fits my 24 oz Thermos with ease. It is the perfect size for a tall, non wide bottle.

My original Grip is still holding strong, but if I were to order a new backpack style bag, the Fossa would be on the short list.

I've only had it for 3 weeks but I'm loving the regular fossa tana. I'm sure the pro has advantages, but 45 cheaper is great.
The new run like I got have added the ring holders higher up that are one of the nice additions to the pro.
It's not 1000D or whatever but the material looks really sturdy. Like the rubberized bottom a lot. played a round with a guy who had one for 5 months and it looks as good as my new one.

I've only had it for 3 weeks but I'm loving the regular fossa tana. I'm sure the pro has advantages, but 45 cheaper is great.
The new run like I got have added the ring holders higher up that are one of the nice additions to the pro.
It's not 1000D or whatever but the material looks really sturdy. Like the rubberized bottom a lot. played a round with a guy who had one for 5 months and it looks as good as my new one.
Awesome, ive chosen the fossa tana unless i find another bag that catches my eye, now im deciding between the pro and the regular, ive heard the upgraded material and the nicer straps are worth the upgrade. This will be my long term. I wish i could find a hands on video review comparison. The only review i found on the pro is on all things disc golf and its an article

I will add a vote for the Tana pro, although I have only fondled a commander. First there are two things the commander does have over the tana:

1)Two water bottle holders
2)Upper shelf putter pocket

Advantages of the Tana

1)Construction, this thing is built nice and touch
2)There is ample storage, I can actually fit another water bottle in the tall narrow pocket. I typically use that for my coffee thermos on morning rounds
3)Super comfortable, padding is often and the bag doesn't feel too tall
4) The price is awesome

Some comments:
1) Take the rain fly out and only carry it with you when you know you may get rained on, it makes the disc compartment slightly tigther
2) I noticed my straps kept getting tighter too, then I realized I was accidentally getting the ends caught on stuff as I was picking it up pulling them tighter slightly
3) Get a nalgene silo if you need more water storage, works well.
4) Two putters will fit in the putter pocket on the side, you just have to work at it a bit until the bag breaks in a bit
5) The upper shelf is nice for a approach disc, but if you stuff the main compartment full it will be tough to get discs out when new. I don't carry that many discs so it is ok for me, and as time goes on the bag loosens some.
6) Buy it from RDG (here) and you will get a scale with it!

I will add a vote for the Tana pro, although I have only fondled a commander. First there are two things the commander does have over the tana:

1)Two water bottle holders
2)Upper shelf putter pocket

Advantages of the Tana

1)Construction, this thing is built nice and touch
2)There is ample storage, I can actually fit another water bottle in the tall narrow pocket. I typically use that for my coffee thermos on morning rounds
3)Super comfortable, padding is often and the bag doesn't feel too tall
4) The price is awesome

Some comments:
1) Take the rain fly out and only carry it with you when you know you may get rained on, it makes the disc compartment slightly tigther
2) I noticed my straps kept getting tighter too, then I realized I was accidentally getting the ends caught on stuff as I was picking it up pulling them tighter slightly
3) Get a nalgene silo if you need more water storage, works well.
4) Two putters will fit in the putter pocket on the side, you just have to work at it a bit until the bag breaks in a bit
5) The upper shelf is nice for a approach disc, but if you stuff the main compartment full it will be tough to get discs out when new. I don't carry that many discs so it is ok for me, and as time goes on the bag loosens some.
6) Buy it from RDG (here) and you will get a scale with it!
Awesome man, also how does a rainfly work is it like a bag that goes over the bag, and i was actually planning on getting it at RDG, haha cant say no to a free disc

Latest posts