• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Majors and NT Schedule

Good lord. GBO and KCWO both NTs on back to back weekends. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that's not coincidental.

I'm sure that will be good for traveling pros, but some of the the "added cash" locals better start saving money now, or they may have to choose one tournament or the other.

Surprised to see only 3 Pro Majors on the schedule, which means no Japan Open apparently.

Are there only 3 Majors this year for open men? Worlds and USDGC and European Masters?

Good lord. GBO and KCWO both NTs on back to back weekends. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that's not coincidental.

I'm sure that will be good for traveling pros, but some of the the "added cash" locals better start saving money now, or they may have to choose one tournament or the other.

Was very surprised to see this. The PDGA has stated they only want to have one NT in each geographic region per year, and maybe these locations are actually in different regions, but they are only 90 minutes apart. I don't have a problem with back to back NT's as it saves on travel time.

1) They are some great people in Emporia Kansas but I think it's awful silly that they would run the Glass Blown Open again this year with Pro Worlds coming to town only 3 months later.

2) Nothing against the good people of Ohio who run the Brent Hambrick, but their Pro Purses are paltry compared to every other NT. How the PDGA would opt for them for NT status over a tournament like the Green Mountain Championship in Vermont, which has one hell of a Pro Purse, boggles my imagination.

2) Nothing against the good people of Ohio who run the Brent Hambrick, but their Pro Purses are paltry compared to every other NT. How the PDGA would opt for them for NT status over a tournament like the Green Mountain Championship in Vermont, which has one hell of a Pro Purse, boggles my imagination.

You assume an awful lot, don't you? Like A) Jeff and the GMC crew wanted NT status, and B) the Hambrick had any "competition" in their region for an NT.

Got have willing alternatives in order to have alternatives at all.

You assume an awful lot, don't you? Like A) Jeff and the GMC crew wanted NT status, and B) the Hambrick had any "competition" in their region for an NT.

The GMC applied to be an NT, and the Ledgestone did as well.

Nothing on this list was a surprise for me. I think they need to do more things like GBO and KCWO on back to back weekends to help create a larger group of touring pros that actually go to all the events. I know that Dynamic would not want to give up GBO as an NT and why would you after how well they ran it this year. The PDGA has taken notice of the quality Dynamic puts into events and they will continue to get NT's and Majors if they keep it up.

Not to defend the Brent Hambrick, but its not all about the purse.

As for the GMC, that looked like an awesome event. Maybe the PDGA just wanted to see another year of the tournament growing. It also doesn't help that the Maple Hill Open is the dominant NT in that region, just like the Memorial is the dominant NT in their region (and probably why Las Vegas won't be an NT any time soon).

Having NT's on back to back weekends is a not a bad idea at all; I think it makes perfect sense. The PDGA just needs to be clear about their intentions and what they tell other tournaments.

The GMC applied to be an NT, and the Ledgestone did as well.

Got have willing alternatives in order to have alternatives at all.

Yup.

You ASSumed incorrectly. I know the GMC tournament director personally. They were denied NT status over an Ohio event whose Pro Purse for their last NT event in 2014 was only $16k.

I've been told that the BHMO is on an alternating NT rotation. Probably because it's a fundraiser for the Leukemia Society and as a tribute to Brent. I'm sure there's more to the story.

I've been told that the BHMO is on an alternating NT rotation. Probably because it's a fundraiser for the Leukemia Society and as a tribute to Brent. I'm sure there's more to the story.

Yeah, as I mentioned, its not all about the pro purse. I believe they gave $6,000 to their charity last year.

Wouldn't be surprised that the lack of pro majors has something to do with whatever "tour" (for lack of a better word) that Jussi's supposedly putting together

Wouldn't be surprised that the lack of pro majors has something to do with whatever "tour" (for lack of a better word) that Jussi's supposedly putting together

I doubt this has anything to do with it. Sounds like the Japan Open was already not in the works, and the Aussie Open was an every other year thing anyways, as is the European Open.

Heck, I'm just happy to see the schedule out this early. Now the A-tiers can get lined up, and then rest of us can get to work.

Having NT's on back to back weekends is a not a bad idea at all; I think it makes perfect sense. The PDGA just needs to be clear about their intentions and what they tell other tournaments.

Not so sure back to back weekend is a good idea. Last year the Pros complained about back to back weekends in Europe. If the PDGA wants Pros to compete at their highest level they need to give pros time to rest, recuperate and prepare for the next event.

It would also really help the region by having an off-week, allowing the Pros to spread out and play some local events in-between. Same with Europe, imagine if Pros had an off-week last year between Scandinavian and European Opens and spread out around Europe. That could have been a huge boost to the European scene.

Latest posts