• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Well it looks like the race to click the mouse is soon gonna be a thing of the past...

Tiered Registration Schedule

Nov 25, 2015 - 11:00am EST
•Open (MPO) - PDGA Player Rating of 1020 or higher
•Open Women (FPO) - PDGA Player Rating of 925 or higher
•Master (MPM) - PDGA Player Rating of 1020 or higher
•Grandmaster (MPG) - PDGA Player Rating of 1020 or higher
•Senior Grandmaster (MPS) - PDGA Player Rating of 1020 or higher

Dec 2, 2015 - 11:00am EST
•Open (MPO) - PDGA Player Rating of 1000 or higher
•Open Women (FPO) - No minimum ratings requirement
•Master (MPM) - PDGA Player Rating of 1000 or higher
•Grandmaster (MPG) - PDGA Player Rating of 1000 or higher
•Senior Grandmaster (MPS) - PDGA Player Rating of 1000 or higher

Dec 9, 2015 - 11:00am EST
•Open (MPO) - PDGA Player Rating of 970 or higher
•Open Women (FPO) - No minimum ratings requirement
•Master (MPM) - PDGA Player Rating of 970 or higher
•Grandmaster (MPG) - PDGA Player Rating of 970 or higher
•Senior Grandmaster (MPS) - PDGA Player Rating of 970 or higher

Dec 16, 2015 - 11:00am EST
•All Divisions - No minimum ratings requirement

This is a really smart and fair way to do this. I am happy to see some structure being implemented into the registration process for NT events. I think all events should be this way. If you want the first crack at getting in then you have to play better and get a higher rating to play. It's smart especially since this is the PROFESSIONAL Disc Golf Association. True pros should have the chance to register first. Good job to whoever set this up.

Good idea for Tiered Registration, however I'm going to guess that at least one top Pro doesn't register in time.

Also, how many MPG or MPS players are 1020 are higher rated?

Among players that played at least one event in 2015...none. There are only four 40+ players rated 1020 or higher (Climo, Schultz, McCrae, and Nodlund).

The highest rated MPG players (again, that played at least one event in 2015) are Joe Mela and Ron Convers (1004). The highest rated MPS player is Stan McDaniel (986).

The player statistics page at PDGA.com is sortable by all kinds of criteria.

This is a really smart and fair way to do this. I am happy to see some structure being implemented into the registration process for NT events. I think all events should be this way. If you want the first crack at getting in then you have to play better and get a higher rating to play. It's smart especially since this is the PROFESSIONAL Disc Golf Association. True pros should have the chance to register first. Good job to whoever set this up.

That would be the volunteers on the PDGA Worlds/Majors/NT Committee. The committee made a recommendation to the PDGA Board of Directors for a tiered registration system based on ratings for the National Tour in 2016 and the BoD approved. The tiered system was included in the NT agreement to the NT TDs. National Tours could also be approved to use an alternate method of qualification/registration (such as the Vibram Open at Maple Hill which uses qualifying events.)

2016 GBO used the same tiered registration.

Can someone who's attended the Memorial (Am A tier specifically) before help me understand some things? I'm attending for the first time and this will be far bigger than any tournament I've attended; I've only ever done shotgun starts in B/C tiers before.

Understanding there'll be people playing the course when I arrive:
- I assume there's a practice basket to warm up putting?
- How does one warm up their arm for driving, or can they? Would it be wise to stop in a field before I arrive to a tee time and warm up off site?
- Is parking a problem at these courses? I've played them all before outside a tournament, but they all had limited parking, but not sure how crowded A-tier courses will be. Should I plan to park off site and walk the last bit?

Any other advice for an A-tier noob is appreciated. Don't worry, I will poop before I come!

TIA.

Can someone who's attended the Memorial (Am A tier specifically) before help me understand some things? I'm attending for the first time and this will be far bigger than any tournament I've attended; I've only ever done shotgun starts in B/C tiers before.

Understanding there'll be people playing the course when I arrive:
- I assume there's a practice basket to warm up putting?
- How does one warm up their arm for driving, or can they? Would it be wise to stop in a field before I arrive to a tee time and warm up off site?
- Is parking a problem at these courses? I've played them all before outside a tournament, but they all had limited parking, but not sure how crowded A-tier courses will be. Should I plan to park off site and walk the last bit?

Any other advice for an A-tier noob is appreciated. Don't worry, I will poop before I come!

TIA.

At Fiesta Lakes there is a driving range where you can warm up
Plenty of parking there

Vista there is some space on the other side of the bridge where you can throw
Parking is tight in the Duke's parking lot. Many people park on the street by basket 17

Fountain there is a park with some soccer fields less than a mile from the course.
Usually plenty of parking near the course
All courses have practice buckets.

At Fiesta Lakes there is a driving range where you can warm up
Plenty of parking there

Vista there is some space on the other side of the bridge where you can throw
Parking is tight in the Duke's parking lot. Many people park on the street by basket 17

Fountain there is a park with some soccer fields less than a mile from the course.
Usually plenty of parking near the course
All courses have practice buckets.

Thank you very much. So the driving range closes to ball golfers during the tournament? Perfect.

I don't think you can park in the lot by Vista anymore?

Or was that just for Shelly Sharpe?

I don't think you can park in the lot by Vista anymore?

Or was that just for Shelly Sharpe?

There is a parking lot specifically for the park that I have used each of the last couple of years. You just have to watch your head as you are walking to the course because you are bound to walk right through someone warming up their throw.

_zzz_zzzzzzz hyzer __zzzzzzz boring hyzer_zzzzzzz oh look a fountain__zzzzz . Sorry just wish the year started at a warm course that added challenge to the top players. How many years can we watch the same holes?

_zzz_zzzzzzz hyzer __zzzzzzz boring hyzer_zzzzzzz oh look a fountain__zzzzz . Sorry just wish the year started at a warm course that added challenge to the top players. How many years can we watch the same holes?

How many years can you watch the same holes...? As many years as you choose to watch. Don't like it? Don't watch.

How many years can you watch the same holes...? As many years as you choose to watch. Don't like it? Don't watch.

I agree with both of you. We can choose to watch or not. I have watched a couple of the Memorials on youtube, holy crap is that a boring hyzer fest.

Watching and complaining is more fun than not watching, I mean you still get to see the best guys going performing against each other. Our audience only gets a few chances a year to do that. Last year s ending was awesome. The course is boring so it really only gets interesting at the end if it's close.

Does anyone know if the course layouts will be the same this year? I assume Vista and Fountain Hills will be the same but a couple of the Fiesta Lakes holes looked a little silly. I've only seen tourney coverage of the course and no new caddie book is available yet.

I agree with both of you. We can choose to watch or not. I have watched a couple of the Memorials on youtube, holy crap is that a boring hyzer fest.

How can you guys say this is boring? Aren't the baskets on elevated stands?

The Memorial is a bit like NASCAR; it's a boring repetition of the same action, but still requires skill to pull off correctly. Plus, it makes mistakes more costly because they're much more difficult to recover from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts