• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 State of Disc Golf Survey

It seems more like a census kind of survery vs illustrating the state of disc golf. I liked the areas of who/what you play with and events/pdga. More of a state of the sport vs equipment kind of thing i guess?

More how/why and less what. Lack of multiple choice for some questions. The disc manufactures seem like it would be better broken down into what you see in stores locally (provide area if desired as optional) what you see out on courses being thrown

For example the most innovative question doesnt mean anything how its worded.

The illegal substance use is dumb. Even on a "private" survey you will get skewed answers.

Yeah I feel like the brand preference questions were poorly phrased and also kind of pointless.

It seems more like a census kind of survery vs illustrating the state of disc golf. I liked the areas of who/what you play with and events/pdga. More of a state of the sport vs equipment kind of thing i guess?

More how/why and less what. Lack of multiple choice for some questions. The disc manufactures seem like it would be better broken down into what you see in stores locally (provide area if desired as optional) what you see out on courses being thrown

For example the most innovative question doesnt mean anything how its worded.

The illegal substance use is dumb. Even on a "private" survey you will get skewed answers.

I think Chains raises an important question. Fundamentally, I think they are gathering info to drive their business. They are thinking about what is going to sell discs, and also gathering emails. That isn't the same thing as growing the sport or thinking holistically.

The drugs questions and others serve the purpose of making it look like they are thinking holistically, but the focus on manufacturers and what they've done that is coolio suggests marketing.

I was out of DG for about five years until last year. When was the last time the PDGA did a survey? They ask direct questions like: Where should are efforts go? Do you want our focus on Pro or Ams? etc.

PDGA did a major survey about 2-3 years ago that has established their current 5-yr plan.

Done.

My only feedback is I would have liked to see more questions about league play. For example, how many league rounds do you play / week? What league formats (singles, doubles, etc) do you play? How big is your local league? That kinda stuff.

but the focus on manufacturers and what they've done that is coolio suggests marketing.

Infinite's internal sales numbers are likely more instructive than some poll as far as usage for marketing purposes.

Completed the survey. Like a few others here have stated I feel that it was more of a marketing tool to gather info about what DGers are buying and collect e-mail addresses than it was to examine the state of DG.

A few questions I would like to have seen on the survey:
* Your geographical location (North East, South East, Mid west, etc.)? ____________
* Type of courses you play or prefer to play (short tight wooded, long open courses, flat or hilly, etc.)? ______________
* Have you or are you currently volunteering to help establish or maintain a local course? Yes / No
* If you have a dog does it ever accompany you when you play? Yes / No / DNA
* Are you apposed to people in your group bringing their dogs along when you play? Yes / No
* Have you ever introduced a youth to the sport? Yes / No *
* How were you introduced to the sport? *
* Where do you seek instruction or help with your game (Friends/associates, on line forums, pro instructor, etc? ______________
* How far do you generally travel to play DG? _________
* What is the farthest you have traveled just to play DG? ___________

* These questions may have been on the survey but I don't recall, forgive me if that is the case.
Well that's just a few questions I thought would be interesting.

Last edited:
Completed the survey. Like a few others here have stated I feel that it was more of a marketing tool to gather info about what DGers are buying and collect e-mail addresses than it was to examine the state of DG.

A few questions I would like to have seen on the survey:
* Your geographical location (North East, South East, Mid west, etc.)? ____________
* Type of courses you play or prefer to play (short tight wooded, long open courses, flat or hilly, etc.)? ______________
* Have you or are you currently volunteering to help establish or maintain a local course? Yes / No
* If you have a dog does it ever accompany you when you play? Yes / No / DNA
* Are you apposed to people in your group bringing their dogs along when you play? Yes / No
* Have you ever introduced a youth to the sport? Yes / No *
* How were you introduced to the sport? *
* Where do you seek instruction or help with your game (Friends/associates, on line forums, pro instructor, etc? ______________
* How far do you generally travel to play DG? _________
* What is the farthest you have traveled just to play DG? ___________

* These questions may have been on the survey but I don't recall, forgive me if that is the case.
Well that's just a few questions I thought would be interesting.
Good questions, Dog! I conducted my first big disc golf survey in the last couple months. These questions are definitely better than some of mine. The hard part is figuring out the best questions rather than just adding adding adding. Infinite does a solid job of keeping their survey relatively brief. Me, not so much.

Results are in....

Favorite-Brand-1000x675.jpg

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/2015-state-of-disc-golf-manufacturers-overview/