• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

More than the number of rounds or a final 9 I really dig the DGPT Championship system. It is kinda like the tournament tree in a tennis major. I dont know if it would be applicable to Worlds tho. Maybe. Then youre much moreso playing against other players and AND the course.

I just wish DGPT would use a good course for their finals...that golf course in Florida is a snoozer and Emporia won't be any better.

Anyone know who the older gentleman is who took a pic with Paul right after the win?

Anyone know who the older gentleman is who took a pic with Paul right after the win?

Article all about him: https://www.lelphotography.com/blog...tqq2E12ufz6pqb7WxdQWxof8mcfInb4ko_pD7PHZFsxTk

From Facebook:
Nick Richardson said:
In Washington, Illinois there is a man named Wayne Glabe. He is 91 years old and somehow found out about disc golf not too long ago. Earlier this summer The Ledgestone was held.
This is a huge Disc Golf tournament that happens up near him and Wayne went out to see all the top players tee off. It was at this tournament that Wayne was able to get his picture taken with Paul McBeth . . . Wayne's favorite player.

Fast forward to this past week. The World Championships was taking place near Wayne once again. Wayne went out to watch all the top pros again. At 91 he went around and followed the players. Wayne was in the front row of the gallery when Paul McBeth slammed his putt that secured his 5th world championship. Wayne was cheering alongside all the other players and fans. He was one of the first to run to Paul and congratulate his victory. Paul actually gave this man his pair of putters used in the world championship rounds right there on the spot. The picture of Wayne's excitement really moves me.

I know to some this is a silly story about Disc Golf, but I think it is about so much more. There are many lessons to be learned here. I will only mention two of them.

One, we need to cherish our elderly friends. There is nothing like having a seasoned man like Wayne in your life. They are your biggest fans and the people that will keep you on the straight and narrow. Wayne, and others in life's prime like him, know how to truly be passionate about things. We all need at least one Wayne in our life!

Two, while disc golf is a weird sport, it provides so much excitement in life for people. (Most people still don't even know what 'frolf' is.) It provides a safe escape from the ugliness of this world. I cannot tell you how many rounds of golf I have played with people and spent the time talking about the goodness of God. Talking about the woes of life with people. I have seen this sport provide a sense of accomplishment to teens that have little to strive for. I have played golf with a man in his 80's, and have been beaten by a 12 year old. I am grateful that the Lord (and Matt Hines) has given this hobby to me. I see disc golf as a grace that the Lord has given. Of course nowhere comparable to the grace given to me by Jesus Christ, but grace nonetheless.

I could not be happier that the most recognizable professional in the sport is Paul McBeth. Our sport could not have asked for or hand selected a better champion. You are a class act Paul! Thank you for providing Wayne Glabe and the boys of The Joy House smiles and joy. Thank you for being a good role model for the young and the old. Many stories like this go under the radar. I pray this one doesn't.

Congratulations to Paul McBeth on his 5th world championship win!

For Jomez, it would be hard to convince me that it was just coincidence that for 4 days in a row their next day mpo footage was released at the exact time the live coverage went up.

wait...are you saying Jomez would deliberately do this in an effort to pull eyeballs away from the live stream? :confused:

wait...are you saying Jomez would deliberately do this in an effort to pull eyeballs away from the live stream? :confused:

I dont want to think this way but it is how I am looking at it since, besides coincidence, I cant explain why this would happen.

I dont want to think this way but it is how I am looking at it since, besides coincidence, I cant explain why this would happen.

ahh..ok.. my counter point would be the jomez diehards don't watch live disc golf anyway so I don't think it would be enough make a dent in the live views.

I'm not hating.... but I find myself still trying to understand what makes this event, (which anyone can sign up and play in) so prestigious that the winner is proclaimed the "PDGA World Champion"? I understand this is a major, if they required a certain placement in the other majors as a means to quality for this event, then at least to me it would make sense, but take out the title of the tournament, and seems like there really isn't anything about this event that distances itself from other events. :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both of Ricky's World Championships only four rounds? I think that is kind of an asterisk in hindsight.

I have to say that historically I do think more than four rounds is what separates Worlds from other big tournaments. The downside is that also historically there tends to be a runaway winner and it gets boring. Not always though. Remember 2014 in Portland.

So IMO it needs to be at least five rounds but six would be better. Ideally with one open, OB heavy course and one tight woods based course. I don't really like seeing OB on the latter style as too many basically good shots can be redirected. Let them scramble without penalty on that type of course I say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both of Ricky's World Championships only four rounds? I think that is kind of an asterisk in hindsight.

I have to say that historically I do think more than four rounds is what separates Worlds from other big tournaments. The downside is that also historically there tends to be a runaway winner and it gets boring. Not always though. Remember 2014 in Portland.

So IMO it needs to be at least five rounds but six would be better. Ideally with one open, OB heavy course and one tight woods based course. I don't really like seeing OB on the latter style as too many basically good shots can be redirected. Let them scramble without penalty on that type of course I say.

2016 Emporia: 5 rounds, plus a final nine, so 5 1/2. That was "supposed" to be the transition year to the 4-round event that pros thought they wanted.
2017 IDGC: 4 rounds (Only year that it was 4 rounds. It went to 5 after that.)

Rick's first title was in Emporia and that event was 5.5 rounds (4 + semis + final 9). His second, in Augusta, was the only four round Worlds that has ever been held.

I think five rounds is just right for this event. It's more golf than any other event on tour and it fits into the exact same scheduling footprint as the old Worlds (Tues-Sat). They're playing courses that are skill-appropriate so that the challenge is in the golf and not how much golf there is. And final nines are unnecessary. They only ever served the purpose of having a showcase for the top players to compete in front of a gallery...it had nothing to do with enhancing the competitive side of things at all. It was all about ending play for everyone else at the event and turning them into spectators for the top four.

But with a tee time final round, the showcase aspect of the lead card is built-in. Players who missed the cut can watch. Players who finish earlier in the day can watch. And all the non-playing spectators can come and watch. Nothing is gained by tacking on another 9 holes.

I'm not hating.... but I find myself still trying to understand what makes this event, (which anyone can sign up and play in) so prestigious that the winner is proclaimed the "PDGA World Champion"? I understand this is a major, if they required a certain placement in the other majors as a means to quality for this event, then at least to me it would make sense, but take out the title of the tournament, and seems like there really isn't anything about this event that distances itself from other events. :confused:

Agreed, this is what makes me put the USGDC as the marquee event in disc golf right now.

After the fifth round, the winner should spin a wheel that's equally split between yes and no. The question at hand would be, "Was that the final round?" If no hits, they play the next day and spin the wheel again.

Really would had an element I think.

Also, what are peoples thoughts of a lot of big tournaments having the last round on Saturday and not Sunday? Im in the train of thought in that it gives people less opportunity to play in these events because those of us with full time jobs cant take the time off of work to play. I would think we are seeing less viewership because of it both in person and online and I would think that it limits the field of play as well. Now I dont think these tournaments have any issue in filling up but it could stop them from future growth. I also know that some tournaments have gone away from Sunday rounds because of religious views which Im not a fan of but I understand.

Also, what are peoples thoughts of a lot of big tournaments having the last round on Saturday and not Sunday? Im in the train of thought in that it gives people less opportunity to play in these events because those of us with full time jobs cant take the time off of work to play. I would think we are seeing less viewership because of it both in person and online and I would think that it limits the field of play as well. Now I dont think these tournaments have any issue in filling up but it could stop them from future growth. I also know that some tournaments have gone away from Sunday rounds because of religious views which Im not a fan of but I understand.
Sunday has become a traditional "travel day" for big events like Worlds so people could hang out in the tournament afterglow on Saturday night when Final 9s and awards finished around 6pm.

Sunday has become a traditional "travel day" for big events like Worlds so people could hang out in the tournament afterglow on Saturday night when Final 9s and awards finished around 6pm.

I get that. Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the growth of the sport?

If the ultimate goal is a sustainable tour for full time professional players, then the concerns about people with full time jobs being able to play really shouldn't factor into decision making. Sure, right now, those weekend-warrior types are necessary to flesh out the field at various events, but eventually, the idea is to have tour events be for tour players with little to no room for the local weekend-warrior types.

As far as viewers and spectators go, I can see the argument regarding in-person spectating. Harder to get away to watch the early rounds if they're on weekdays. But the online live viewership, to my understanding, is typically stronger for weekday rounds where folks are watching in the office. And the weekend numbers drop off because more people are out playing on the weekends. Maybe that's changed as technology has made it easier to watch on TV instead of on computers, but I can't help but think we're always going to be battling the "I'd rather be playing" issue on the weekends. Isolating it to just Saturdays, especially if the off-day on Sunday is viewed positively by the players, makes all the sense in the world to me.

Latest posts