• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] 2020 Dynamic Discs Business Strategy

Imagine someone new to disc golf. How do you explain to them how to tell if a DD disc is a putter, midrange, driver. They have to look it up on a chart or list. How can they tell which is more stable between a Judge and a Warden? They have to look it up.

Now look at how the Discmania system is consistent and tells you not only what class of disc it is, but also the relative stability.

Which is more stable, P1 or P2? Oh, the bigger number. That makes sense. Now I know that a P3 is a more stable disc than the ones with smaller numbers. Oh, and since it is a "P" then I also know it is a putter without having to look it up.

If a P5 is ever released, you already know it is 1) a putter and 2) higher in stability.

If DD releases a new disc and tells you the name, you have no idea what kind of disc it is or how stable it is.

What is tough with Discmania's naming is that it only really works for Speed 9 and down. Then it becomes a crapshoot in their distance drivers. Without looking it up, can you logically tell the difference between a CD (10 speed), CD2 (9 speed), and CD3 (11 speed)? Or how about a DD (11 speed, 0 turn), DD2 (13 speed, -2 turn), DDx (12 speed, -1 turn), and DD3 (12 speed, -1 turn)?

What is tough with Discmania's naming is that it only really works for Speed 9 and down. Then it becomes a crapshoot in their distance drivers. Without looking it up, can you logically tell the difference between a CD (10 speed), CD2 (9 speed), and CD3 (11 speed)? Or how about a DD (11 speed, 0 turn), DD2 (13 speed, -2 turn), DDx (12 speed, -1 turn), and DD3 (12 speed, -1 turn)?

This is one of the only advantages of having a noodle arm. :) I don't throw or even try many distance drivers, so I don't have to figure this out. I love Discmania's mids, and the FD is great, but man their putter and distance driver lineups are confusing

This is patently false

Exhibit A: P3X is not more stable than a P2 but by your view of the naming convention it would be

Which is more stable or faster the PD or the PDx? How, without looking it up would you know what the X means? It could mean it's slower, or less stable, or, if you are familiar with a P3X you may assume the PDx is just a flatter version of the PD

Never thrown a P3X so I can't say firsthand. But the flight numbers indicate that a P3X is more stable than a P2. Also the adjusted flight numbers (based on user reviews I think?) on Infinite indicate the same.

At the very least, Discmania gets you in the ballpark so you have at least some idea what the disc is. You know that P=putter, etc. Is it perfect? No, but what is?

And just to build on it...all Innova discs...nothing in their naming convention would allow you to know the differences in the discs without looking it up

Where did I talk about Innova? To that point, I agree. It doesn't change that fact that Discmania's system is more informative. Just by virtue of knowing that P=putter, that is already more informative than other naming conventions.

Yup, agree that it breaks down in the distance drivers. But my point is that you know that when you see "_D" you know it is a driver.

So not a perfect system, but still more informative than others.

Discmania's system isn't hard to figure out and actually tells you something about the disc:

P=putter
M=midrange
_D=driver (with the letter in the blank telling you what kind of driver it is)
Then the number telling you the relative stability level

DD's naming system requires you to look up every disc to know what it is. If you are new to the game you have to look at a chart to see what all the names mean.

Discmania's system is much simpler and more informative.

A higher number doesn't equal more stability. For example, the DD2 is the least stable disc in the DD line, the DD is the most stable while the DD3 is in between. Also, the X doesn't signify stability either. The PDx is more overstable than the PD, while the DDx is more understable than the DD. There are some inconsistencies with Discmania's naming scheme

A higher number doesn't equal more stability. For example, the DD2 is the least stable disc in the DD line, the DD is the most stable while the DD3 is in between. Also, the X doesn't signify stability either. The PDx is more overstable than the PD, while the DDx is more understable than the DD. There are some inconsistencies with Discmania's naming scheme

Noted, as with the previous comments.

I'll go back then to:

P=putter
M=mid
_D=driver

Does that hold up?

Yup, agree that it breaks down in the distance drivers. But my point is that you know that when you see "_D" you know it is a driver.

So not a perfect system, but still more informative than others.

Well other than "MD," but I get what you were trying to say. :)

Noted, as with the previous comments.

I'll go back then to:

P=putter
M=mid
_D=driver

Does that hold up?

This is why I think Discmania's naming scheme does more harm than good. It follows logical stability rules sometimes, but not others. That can lull a player into buying a disc that they think is a more overstable complement when it actually is the opposite. To avoid this, players would have to *gasp* look up the disc before purchasing, just like they do with every other manufacturer.

All that being said, I love my PDx for when the wind picks up and I don't care what they call it.

Good catch.

I was thinking of CD, DD, TD, FD, etc. Didn't even think of MD.

Midrange Driver? LOL.

LOL. That works. Still a driver!

Edit: Does that mean the PD is a Putting Driver? :)

Last edited:
This is why I think Discmania's naming scheme does more harm than good. It follows logical stability rules sometimes, but not others. That can lull a player into buying a disc that they think is a more overstable complement when it actually is the opposite. To avoid this, players would have to *gasp* look up the disc before purchasing, just like they do with every other manufacturer.

All that being said, I love my PDx for when the wind picks up and I don't care what they call it.

Yeah, and I think I've heard it pointed out (either about Discmania or Prodigy, not sure which) that if you want to make something more understable than the lowest number, then what do you do?

Like if you want a putter less stable than the P1, what do you call it? Just P? Or do you start going into negative numbers? P-1? Then it could be even more confusing, because then that could be read the same as P1 if you don't think the - means negative.

Though you would still know it is a putter by virtue of the P.

all of which is to say that there is no perfect naming system and for all brands you do need to refer to a flight chart

marshall street

gggt

in bounds

theyre all different but which one is correct

The New DD2 just got PDGA approval so maybe it wont be anymore

To me at least, Innova and Discraft (and others) seemed to want to grow disc golf as a sport, while Dynamic Discs (but not Westside or Lat64) seemed to want to sell toys to man-children. As stated earlier, maybe it was the cultyness that got me to form that opinion or maybe it was the names that seemed more appropriate in a 90s cartoon than on a piece of flying plastic, but that is the reason why I don't own any DD. I know it's very irrational, so I can understand why others are willing to give their discs a try.

Our club is running a Trilogy Challenge in a couple weeks. We are a medium to small city and disc golf region but we have 77 signed up already. We took a chance and ordered 100 players packs because if you do Dynamic ships you a free Marksman basket which we are raffling off among everyone who signs up. Something like 45 of those 77 players don't have a PDGA number.

Players get 3 discs and chances to win CTPs, giftcards and a new basket for $35 dollars.
Dynamic gets their discs in the hands of lots of new players and certainly doesn't lose any money on the disc sales.
Our club will make $1,000 in profit to go to course improvements.

Everybody wins.

Also, someone mentioned Discmania, I LOVE that Neo plastic and those two molds, the Instinct and Essence are legit.

When I think of the Trilogy Challenge I think of DD (which is funny because the molds I have liked most from Trilogy Challenges have usually, if not always, been the Westside discs.)

For me, having an event that anyone can start and play disc golf and is a win-win all around is the best thing that DD does.

I enjoy some of the things they put on YouTube, like that tic-tac-toe upshot game.

That they (DD folks) have different "colorful" personalities doesn't bother me; when they get to be too annoying I simply stop watching. I also give credit to the work that people like Eric Oakley and Danny Lindahl have done to get where they are in disc golf. Personalities might not be suited to everyone's tastes, but it shows a bold sense of self-belief and consistent work that is respectable IMO.

Well DD did just manage to get disc golf on a TV network, so there's that.

Yup, just saw that deal with them, Jomez, and CBS Sports. We'll see how it goes but gotta give them credit for that.

Latest posts