• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Great Lakes Open

WOO! My FAVORITE kind of disc golf tournament to watch - the kind with EXTRA GOLF!

Ellison and Heimberg showing us their rendition of, "anything you can do, I can do better."

The OB giveth.
The OB taketh away.

Tough break for Cory but at least his disc literally fell out of the basket this week.

Calvin's shot on #13: best I've ever seen.
Better than McBeth's when he went 18 under in 2018 (it was hole #12 back then)

Toss up with Albert's shot on 18 yesterday for best shot of the tournament.

I always enjoy watching #12, now #13, on this course. It seems to be one of the hardest holes to birdie, takes a perfect drive to hit that gap, then get near the basket.

Looked like Vinnie's drive hit hard pack, on the down slope, and that really helped it get parked. :hfive:

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of tournaments, when the Pro's shots land on the short grass, most often they are still spinning, usually with a skip. Mine surrender to gravity and just land. Its crazy how much spin they are able to generate. :thmbup:

so, if you are Cole Redalen dropping a -12 on day 3 after an even R1 and a -2 R2, what are you thinking tonight?

Did it go over the ob or just power through an ad sign? Sounded like it hit a sign

The signs are 2-3 feet behind the OB line. The disc went OB, struck the sign and bounced back a little but not far enough to get back in bounds.

There was a spotter there all day, but not for the playoff.:doh:
Ellis went first so if the spotter had been there Calvin would have known it was OB before he teed off.

The signs are 2-3 feet behind the OB line. The disc went OB, struck the sign and bounced back a little but not far enough to get back in bounds.

There was a spotter there all day, but not for the playoff.:doh:
Ellis went first so if the spotter had been there Calvin would have known it was OB before he teed off.

So Ellis's shot went long and would have been OB by a couple of feet if not for the sign, and only ended up so close to the line as a result of the rebound off the sign?

If so, I don't feel quite so bad for Ellis.
If anything, I'd have felt worse had it rebounded another 1/2 inch or so, and was ruled "in bounds," and he subsequently ended up winning the playoff.

Through no fault of his own, that'd be a cheap way to win, IMHO. But it would have been poetic justice for that stroke he was forced to take in a few weeks ago at BSF. :\

Regardless, Cory and Calvin played 3 great rounds, and gave everyone a real treat. :)

Last edited:
Seeing Calvin's meltdown after 18, I'm wondering if he's trying to steal Conrad's rage machine moniker?

Anyone else see the Gannon Buhr "play from a spectator's bag" throw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNLft4XduTU

Apparently the ruling was that he *could* play from behind the bag if he wanted to (and chose not to), but I'm confused why moving the bag wasn't the correct answer to this one.. anyone happen to know? :)

Last edited:
If it were a rock could you move it?

If the rock were "part of the course", no, you couldn't move it. You also would treat being on top of the rock as the "playing surface". But with a case like this, the bag is neither "part of the course", nor should it be the playing surface.

In my mind, the 'correct' way to play this would have been to mark your lie directly underneath the bag (i.e. that's the playing surface), and then to ask the owner of the bag to move it, because it is directly in the lie.

Or am I wrong on these rules? :)

If the rock were "part of the course", no, you couldn't move it. You also would treat being on top of the rock as the "playing surface". But with a case like this, the bag is neither "part of the course", nor should it be the playing surface.

In my mind, the 'correct' way to play this would have been to mark your lie directly underneath the bag (i.e. that's the playing surface), and then to ask the owner of the bag to move it, because it is directly in the lie.

Or am I wrong on these rules? :)

I get your point. I wouldn't take issue with moving the bag, but I suspect the rules mavens might. If it were part of a downed tree branch (basically a loose stump) and your disc landed on top of it, could you move the stump and place your mini? I personally would not object, but wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong with regards to how the rules experts view it.

PS: you said, "correct way to play it". I don't think what he did was wrong, the only question in my mind is whether there is an alternative.

I get your point. I wouldn't take issue with moving the bag, but I suspect the rules mavens might. If it were part of a downed tree branch (basically a loose stump) and your disc landed on top of it, could you move the stump and place your mini? I personally would not object, but wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong with regards to how the rules experts view it.

PS: you said, "correct way to play it". I don't think what he did was wrong, the only question in my mind is whether there is an alternative.

I agree, by my interpretation what Gannon did wasn't 'wrong' precisely. After establishing his lie (which should have been on the ground under the bag), had he not been able to find the owner of the bag (or that person didn't want to move it?), the "lie in a solid obstacle" rules definitely allow for him to take a stance directly behind the obstacle (if needed). So the scenario that played out overall seemed very valid.. I just think he really could (and maybe should) have been able to request that the owner of the bag move it (after placing his marker underneath it), which doesn't seem to be what the course official told him to do.

There have been previous cases where stuff left on the course by spectators or volunteers have interfered with play. One such case was at the USDGC where an item (camping chair or something) was determined as part of the course and couldn't be removed until all groups were done. I don't think this was the case here, would've kind of sucked for the spectator.

In Gannon's case, people scattered when his drive came in. The shot ended up going into someone's bag. It could just have easily landed on top of a folding chair.
Since he was only 80? feet from the basket he decided to mark his lie on top of the bag and throw with his foot up on the bag.
For what it's worth he did call for a rules official, but only waited about a minute before throwing as he did.
The people in the area were very amused by what he did!
I was on the other side of the basket and I thought he was just joking around...then he threw.

I think playing it as he did was correct. I also feel that there *may* have been two other alternatives.

1 -- solid obstacle relief, which would allow him to mark on the ground just behind the bag and play from there (assuming the bag IS NOT a playing surface) ... or

2 - marking as he did and then putting he supporting point(s) on the lie directly on the bag and playing from the bag (assuming the bag IS a playing surface)

I'm not debating whether it is or not a playing surface. There's two schools of thought on those -- the TD's and the players'.

At least Gannon didn't get in the bag's face and tell it to step away. :|

*feels bad bad about not being able to resist*

If the disc landed on a pile of debris (stack of twigs, or leaf pile), would it be legal to clear the pile such that you could stand on the dirt surface beneath?

Latest posts