• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Masters Disc Golf World Championships

Big difference between do your own research and ask your physician. Most of us aren't really qualified to do our own research on most medical topics. There's so much bs on the internet and it's usually easier to find than quality info.

Not saying you shouldn't be informed, but that's no substitute for getting professional advice.

Yeah, but many folks don't have a physician. I know a few who have never seen a doctor. So for those, I recommend at least doing some research.

As a person who lives and plays at altitude, I agree with the water. Drink until you can't drink anymore, pee, then do it again. Especially, ~12hrs before event.

Flippy is your friend. Also, if playing on cliff/ridges, short is better than long and 300' downhill.

Also, if you plan on drinking alcohol, be safe. You will get smashed way faster than your use to. A really time for me at home, 4,800', is a shot, beer, beer, shot, beer. At 7,900' or higher, I turn to beer, beer, maybe another beer. I does work in reverse though, so going to sea level makes for a good time.

And chapstick!

O2 concentration at sea level is 21%, at 7K feet it is 16%.

I'm not sure that is accurate.

I do environmental testing for a living. Some of my locations are roughly 7K feet and the ambient oxygen present is still 21% (well, technically 20.9%) according to my expensive test equipment.

Now, the lower density of the air might make you feel like there's less oxygen but I'm pretty confident that at least up to 8K feet for sure that the air you're breathing is 21% oxygen just like if you were on the beach in California.

I'm not sure that is accurate.

I do environmental testing for a living. Some of my locations are roughly 7K feet and the ambient oxygen present is still 21% (well, technically 20.9%) according to my expensive test equipment.

Now, the lower density of the air might make you feel like there's less oxygen but I'm pretty confident that at least up to 8K feet for sure that the air you're breathing is 21% oxygen just like if you were on the beach in California.
Yes, the O2 percentage around 21% is stable at elevations even higher than Mt. Everest but the density of air drops progressively at higher altitudes so there are fewer total oxygen molecules in each breath. Around 10,000 feet each breath will include about as much oxygen as if the percentage were only about 16-17% at sea level instead of 21%.

I hope to be there. Just need to get in, hoping for the invite this year.

Just want to say that I look forward to this event more and more. It's already a highlight of the year to me. Awesome to see people playing crafty golf over 40 and showing there's so much complexity to the game that the young folks' Pro Tour smash fest seems to be slowly losing just as I discovered the game. I like it all but there's something special about this event.

Don't worry, I know plenty of you 40+ folk smash too. I'll be watching!

I am certain that altitude is a huge factor when you add in activity. I think we are around/less than 1000' in DFW? 6k change is a lot.

30 years s ago, I lost between 1-2 minutes on my 2 mile run time and the altitude difference was about 1500 feet.

Hydration? On the south side of the Grand Canyon is place about 1/4 mile down and a 2-3 of miles walking trail called dripping springs. My brother and I started out with a 32 Oz Gatorade each. You aren't supposed to drink the water, but we were out when we got to the spring. We drank and refilled our bottles for the walk back. We ran out of water before we reached the rim and my brother got sick from dehydration by the time we reached the parking lot.

Gravity force also lowers with higher altitude and latitudes getting closer to the equator but is less commonly cited (or measurable) as a flight factor. I recall a previous discussion where it was suggested that an ideal location to set a distance record would be on a high-altitude plateau with high humidity in a place on the equator like Ecuador.

Gravity force also lowers with higher altitude and latitudes getting closer to the equator but is less commonly cited (or measurable) as a flight factor. I recall a previous discussion where it was suggested that an ideal location to set a distance record would be on a high-altitude plateau with high humidity in a place on the equator like Ecuador.

OMG seriously? There is no noticeable difference between sea level and 35k even. At 35k you weigh 99.6% as you do at sea level. So a 170g disc in a airliner cruising altitude is going to weigh 169.3g. What do you think the weight difference for a disc at Flagstaff is going to be compared to the exact same disc in Miami? Yeah..nada.

Gravity of Earth

And yes, there are differences in gravimetric pull at different parts of the Earth because it isn't a perfect sphere but I defy any disc golfer to detect that by playing disc golf. It ain't happening.

I am certain that altitude is a huge factor when you add in activity. I think we are around/less than 1000' in DFW? 6k change is a lot.

30 years s ago, I lost between 1-2 minutes on my 2 mile run time and the altitude difference was about 1500 feet.

Hydration? On the south side of the Grand Canyon is place about 1/4 mile down and a 2-3 of miles walking trail called dripping springs. My brother and I started out with a 32 Oz Gatorade each. You aren't supposed to drink the water, but we were out when we got to the spring. We drank and refilled our bottles for the walk back. We ran out of water before we reached the rim and my brother got sick from dehydration by the time we reached the parking lot.

The thing to remember about sports drinks is they're basically salt water. To hydrate, drink water.

OMG seriously? There is no noticeable difference between sea level and 35k even. At 35k you weigh 99.6% as you do at sea level. So a 170g disc in a airliner cruising altitude is going to weigh 169.3g. What do you think the weight difference for a disc at Flagstaff is going to be compared to the exact same disc in Miami? Yeah..nada.

Gravity of Earth

And yes, there are differences in gravimetric pull at different parts of the Earth because it isn't a perfect sphere but I defy any disc golfer to detect that by playing disc golf. It ain't happening.
Butterfly effect. Every little factor can matter to affect your throw even if the difference is small and not easily measurable.

The resulting distance gain may be small and not easily measurable, either.

Butterfly effect. Every little factor can matter to affect your throw even if the difference is small and not easily measurable.

Uhh...the correct phrase would be "not measurable."

What Exactly Is The Butterfly Effect?

Lorenz was a meteorology professor at MIT. He developed the concept but never actually intended for it to be applied the way it has all too commonly been used.

Whilst it sounds a little ridiculous as a concept, it is not meant to be taken literally.

Can't wait to hear the bruhs at the local course who are going to Flagstaff switching up their bag wasting time and money over the notion that the higher altitude and 0.0001% weight difference is going to affect their disc selection. I won't be laughing AT them I'll be laughing near them...what a silly thing to even discuss. Can't believe I even spent this much time on it.

Uhh...the correct phrase would be "not measurable."

What Exactly Is The Butterfly Effect?

Can't wait to hear the bruhs at the local course who are going to Flagstaff switching up their bag wasting time and money over the notion that the higher altitude and 0.0001% weight difference is going to affect their disc selection. I won't be laughing AT them I'll be laughing near them...what a silly thing to even discuss. Can't believe I even spent this much time on it.
There's a difference between the macro factors you have the ability to account for in making your throwing choices (disc and weight choice, wind direction, throwing angle, throwing style, etc.) versus the hundreds of micro factors in play that determine the outcome of your throws. We'll rarely be able to determine which micro factors caused our disc to touch a specific leaf on its way by or skip off an acorn recently dropped by a squirrel but there were many in play. Not implying gravity difference from sea level to high altitude is a macro factor that's important enough to account for but it's one of hundreds in the micro factor discussion.

There's a difference between the macro factors you have the ability to account for in making your throwing choices (disc and weight choice, wind direction, throwing angle, throwing style, etc.) versus the hundreds of micro factors in play that determine the outcome of your throws. We'll rarely be able to determine which micro factors caused our disc to touch a specific leaf on its way by or skip off an acorn recently dropped by a squirrel but there were many in play. Not implying gravity difference from sea level to high altitude is a macro factor that's important enough to account for but it's one of hundreds in the micro factor discussion.

I wonder if Disc Golf Valley uses a local gravity parameter?

DGCR is so hilariously absurd sometimes it cracks me up.

I think I'll adjust for the cross wind I'm throwing into that could potentially move my disc several feet rather than some non-existent theoretical micro thingy that might affect the flight by a micron - at most.

Latest posts