• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 Biohacks for Instant Disc Golf Gains | How I Went From 500ft to 700ft Pt.2

Nick481

Birdie Member
Sorry if I'm blasting the self-promotion in this forum too hard with the posts of my videos, wanted to get this in here ASAP because I'm optimistic it may have some great bang-for-buck value to help with people's practice!

Hope you enjoy and please let me know what you think or if you have any questions :)

Keep them long, so you can go about all the topics and info you want to.

I like the example of Usain Bolt with him being loose and yet explosive. I didnt know that was a thing in running as well, but if it helps for discgolf it probably helps in other sports too. Actually getting that feel of looseness is a whole other journey though and I could only catch it a couple of times so far.

Also dont feel like you are making it too simple. I think a lot of discgolfers lack knowledge about basic sports stuff (especially me) and it helps to get basic info.

Reading biohacks and then seeing someone show how far they throw would make me very vary of a videos content if I didnt already know you from this forum and your other video about working out.

Keep them long, so you can go about all the topics and info you want to.

I like the example of Usain Bolt with him being loose and yet explosive. I didnt know that was a thing in running as well, but if it helps for discgolf it probably helps in other sports too. Actually getting that feel of looseness is a whole other journey though and I could only catch it a couple of times so far.

Also dont feel like you are making it too simple. I think a lot of discgolfers lack knowledge about basic sports stuff (especially me) and it helps to get basic info.

Reading biohacks and then seeing someone show how far they throw would make me very vary of a videos content if I didnt already know you from this forum and your other video about working out.
Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you found the video to be helpful!

Noted on the video length/detail level 👍

I don't mind the self promotion but I think the internet forgot about that word and reclaimed it, I'm seeing the resurgence and it's really funny to see it from the health and fitness side of the internet.

Biohacking used to be a concept/topic lurking the dark corners of liveleak and some of the chan message boards. Semi crazy people would perform self surgery and call it biohacking.

Everything from diy bone lengthening, diy variable pitch bone screws and thread pitch research for attaching stuff all the way to attempts at pwm low current nerve blocking due to prior injuries. One guy successfully powered a small pcb using the temperature differential of his own body and the outside air with a pelitier cooler surgically placed under his skin with an external heat sink for permanent live data collection.

Anyway, pretty neat you're pushing those distances keep it up.

Another interesting video. Enjoy the mental and visualization components.

Regarding loose and rhythmic, I have a few thoughts:
1) How relaxed is a person going for a max deadlift or an elite vertical jumper vs a hurdler?

I'm not being flippant but I think there is a spectrum depending on the activity or maybe its all the same but the timing is different where the hurdlers window of relaxed is just longer than the vertical leaper.

When I was a pitcher, and wanted to throw a fastball, I didn't change my windup really at all, I just accelerated through the motion more. I am sure there was a lot more happening with my lower body and brace that I was doing unconsciously, but I feel like I just knew to add zip at the end. That seems aligned with the relaxed rhythmic message.

On the other hand I have seen pitching coaches telling pitchers to speed up their windup in order to speed up their delivery. That seems at odds, but I believe the goal there is that when you work on the speed, that faster version becomes your relaxed rhythmic version as you neuromuscularly adapt.

2) We have to be careful with the word relaxed. I have seen some people convinced their arm must be a noodle and that's not it. The goal is that you are accelerating through the hit which means you can't blow your load at the start and decelerate and you can't be tense. I think that is kind of tied to rhythm directly and rhythm is what you are really after. Rhythm allows you to build up (accelerate) the speed of the swing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm less relaxed and more feeling "athletic" or "primed" - at least that is the way I think of it. It is kind of like don't be tense, but be powerful. Have a powerful rhythm and you can't do that if you are tense and clunky.

Just some rambling thoughts...

I tend to think of baseball long toss, looser = longer. Also as a former D1 swimmer I tried to remain as loose as possible to elongate my distance per stroke. When you watch swimmers/runners getting ready before the start they are all loosening up as much possible before the race.

Athleticism is a balance of tension and relaxation. Some of the best practices in sports performance come from research, and training anecdotes, developed in Eastern Block athletics. "Fast and loose" has long been a dynamic relaxation practice observed in the routines of some of the worlds best athletes, from kettlebell athletes to swimmers.
200w.gif

giphy.gif

Athleticism is a balance of tension and relaxation. Some of the best practices in sports performance come from research, and training anecdotes, developed in Eastern Block athletics. "Fast and loose" has long been a dynamic relaxation practice observed in the routines of some of the worlds best athletes, from kettlebell athletes to swimmers.
I like that balance of tension and relaxation. I feel like rhythm is kind of the physical manifestation of that.

Another interesting video. Enjoy the mental and visualization components.

Regarding loose and rhythmic, I have a few thoughts:
1) How relaxed is a person going for a max deadlift or an elite vertical jumper vs a hurdler?

I'm not being flippant but I think there is a spectrum depending on the activity or maybe its all the same but the timing is different where the hurdlers window of relaxed is just longer than the vertical leaper.

When I was a pitcher, and wanted to throw a fastball, I didn't change my windup really at all, I just accelerated through the motion more. I am sure there was a lot more happening with my lower body and brace that I was doing unconsciously, but I feel like I just knew to add zip at the end. That seems aligned with the relaxed rhythmic message.

On the other hand I have seen pitching coaches telling pitchers to speed up their windup in order to speed up their delivery. That seems at odds, but I believe the goal there is that when you work on the speed, that faster version becomes your relaxed rhythmic version as you neuromuscularly adapt.

2) We have to be careful with the word relaxed. I have seen some people convinced their arm must be a noodle and that's not it. The goal is that you are accelerating through the hit which means you can't blow your load at the start and decelerate and you can't be tense. I think that is kind of tied to rhythm directly and rhythm is what you are really after. Rhythm allows you to build up (accelerate) the speed of the swing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm less relaxed and more feeling "athletic" or "primed" - at least that is the way I think of it. It is kind of like don't be tense, but be powerful. Have a powerful rhythm and you can't do that if you are tense and clunky.

Just some rambling thoughts...
I completely agree with you, and I believe in the video I give a bit of a disclaimer of making sure to find one's own "ideal" level and type of relaxation for their throwing. I wanted to make sure I didn't dogmatically prescribe a one-size-fits-all because I'd be remiss to do so. So we are on the same page there.

It's a fun conversation to have. I've heard Ben Joyce (threw 105 in college) mention that once his block foot lands, he tries to throw his hand as hard as possible. But it makes me wonder what a guy like deGrom or Lincecum is thinking about when throwing fastballs! Also to hear from a guy like Eagle and then a guy like Drew Gibson would be cool as well.

I tend to think of baseball long toss, looser = longer. Also as a former D1 swimmer I tried to remain as loose as possible to elongate my distance per stroke. When you watch swimmers/runners getting ready before the start they are all loosening up as much possible before the race.

200w.gif

giphy.gif
Don't know why I never knew you were a high level swimmer! I always assumed you were mainly a baseball guy so that's super cool.

Don't know why I never knew you were a high level swimmer! I always assumed you were mainly a baseball guy so that's super cool.
I was more into soccer until I dislocated my hip playing in high school. That kind of ended my land sports for awhile.

I took about 20 less strokes than everyone else in the field here while also being the shortest height-wise, so I'm swimming like I'm the tallest.

I was more into soccer until I dislocated my hip playing in high school. That kind of ended my land sports for awhile.

I took about 20 less strokes than everyone else in the field here while also being the shortest height-wise, so I'm swimming like I'm the tallest.

Those fly strokes looked extremely powerful, really impressive how you smoked those big framed guys.

Now that I watch that vid I can recognize your walking gait/style a little bit from your instructional videos haha.

What is your height and wingspan if you don't mind sharing? Guessing you have a high ape index and big hands and feet. Or maybe you are the technique master or maybe you are just strong AF and have a ton of endurance.

What is your height and wingspan if you don't mind sharing? Guessing you have a high ape index and big hands and feet. Or maybe you are the technique master or maybe you are just strong AF and have a ton of endurance.
5'7" tall, 5'11" wing span, 11 shoe size. Think my hands are average, I felt like a little kid shaking Avery Jenkins hand. My technique was world class and I was the strongest athlete at TU benching over twice my weight.

Last edited:
I have a brother in law with swim fins for feet but 0 ankle mobility. Coulda been a contender.
Lol, my foot doctor thought my ankles were broken because they were so flexible. Zero mobility = anchor.

just think how fast you would've been if you squeeeeezed into one of them lil speedos

My feet are so flat they suction to the pool deck.
Hahaha, same man.

My footprint shows no arch at all, and in fact where there should be an indentation into the arch, it actually goes OUT.

I've never really had problems with it but I think I have exceptionally flat feet.

My feet are so flat they suction to the pool deck.
I've never really had problems with it but I think I have exceptionally flat feet.
Have you ever tried building up the arch? My feet used to be (might still be) pretty flat but when knee problems flared up PT made me do a couple of exercises to build up the arch in my foot which also changed the way I stand as knees are more outward now than they used to be without the arch.

Latest posts