• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$30 AGame backpack bag at Academy Possible Magellan replacement?

That's such a nice even coat, with no apparent brush strokes. I'm considering picking up a spray can, instead of brushing it on because I've seen some messy plastidip jobs.

When's the last time you turned your bag over to look at the bottom? Probably never, lol. Who cares if it's a "messy" job :)

But honestly, it's pretty hard to screw up the plastidip.

This looks like you did an incredibly good job. I should get you to do that to my Magellan.

That's such a nice even coat, with no apparent brush strokes. I'm considering picking up a spray can, instead of brushing it on because I've seen some messy plastidip jobs.

Thanks! I used the NON-spray kind and used a sponge/foam brush - they are nice for all kinds of applications - staining painting etc no fine brush strokes. Just dont't stop your strokes midway..this goes for painting anything. Follow halfgans instructions!

Plastidip is sort of "self leveling" too. It will dry much much better than it looks while wet.

I think I'm going to pick one of these up for my stroller cart. Had the Magellan, but thought the putter pocket was too deep and the valuables pocket was too small. Seems like this will fix both of those.
Will the slots fit 2 putters, or just 1 each?

Just reporting that I have nothing bad to say about mine at this point. Been playing at least 10 rounds a week lately and its holding up great.

Just got it, haven't even packed discs in yet. But have a few laying around the desk. Initial comparisons to the Magellan are it's similar but different. What I've noticed are:
  • The side pockets are slightly different shape and they open farther, the mesh stool pockets are a little lower as well.
  • Shoulder straps are much narrower and the grab handle is almost laughably small. Looks kind of like the designer took the original pattern and simply scaled it down to fit the shape of the bag.
  • The foam side supports feels slightly denser, and wraps around the top. So a brace isn't an immediate need; but may get floppy after it breaks in.
  • The bottom is the exact same and a cutting board would be good to keep it from bowing out.
A few gripes:
  • The cell phone pocket may be a little too hard to get to. I keep score on the phone and normally have the side pocket crammed with towels, so I'll have to figure out a different method or I'd have to take out a towel every time I get to the phone. Maybe in a disc slot.
  • I'm not a fan of the bottom strap connections, wish they would go from the bottom, rather than pointing up and out a little. This is a carry over from the Magellan and makes the bag very uncomfortable for me. This will be a cart bag, so I can live with it.
  • The cover is a very odd design. The pouch is wide enough for a disc, but that makes the inside hard to get to; also won't work for a mini and scorecard holder for the same reason. Tall enough that it doesn't tuck inside flat, sits okay in the front pouch, but takes up a bit of room. Rather than permanently sewn on, I would have liked to see it a zip off design.

I zip the cover all the way down, then roll it up and put it in the front mesh pocket. There's still plenty of room in the mesh pocket for other stuff (minis, cell phone, etc.)

Picked one of these up the other day in the hopes that it will hold a few more discs then my Target Embark with pvc frame. Was getting about 18 discs in the embark. Counted 27 in the AGame :eek:.

This is with 7 putters 7 mids and the rest fairway/drivers.

This thing is a pack mule. Love the stacked putter sleeves which can easily hold 2 a piece. Bag has good rigidity even with the putter sleeves full and no problem pulling discs out or putting them back.

We will see how it performs on the course.....

Long term the drink holders are definitely going to fall apart, at least if you use 1L bottles like I do. The straps also have suspect stitching.

Other than that it's holding up well. The strap issue doesn't concern me, they'll hold together without that stitching in the middle. I'm going to have to address the drink holder issue though.

Five months of disc for Mike is like 5 years for me so I think I'll be good with mine ;)

Mines been going strong. Yes it can be a little....floppy, especially the drink holders and if you underfill it. But for $30 this thing gets the job done for cheap.

This is a great bag for $30 shipped. I've had mine for a few months now and it is holding up well. I like how the base of the bag has held up, and how it sits well on hillsides.

If someone is on the fence about getting a backpack bag, I'd tell them to get this one to see how they like it. If they don't like it, they can either keep it for a secondary/practice bag, sell it for $20, or just pass it on. If they do like it, they can use it until it wears out or upgrade to something like an Upper Park Rebel.

I've got one, and it's a piece. The bottom is starting to wear (and I've only used it once or twice a week, for the past few months). Mainly it feels flimsy. I only got it to hold up in the interim, while I put together my custom designed bag...which I have been "working" on for like, 2 years. Bought the ballistic nylon, military grade webbing, etc. Cut all the pieces, just haven't gotten around to sewing it together.

If it weren't for my stubborn determination to make my own (plus the damn materials cost me as much as just buying a quality bag), I'd spring the extra $150 to get the Upper Park's Rebel. I didn't buy this bag for the design, just the price, but after using it, found I really liked the upper pockets for putters and my more oft used discs.

Mines still going strong. 2-3 rounds a week on average. Only issues so far:

1) the top "carry strap" is coming unsewn a little. I'll stitch it back up and keep rockin.

2) the mesh drink holder on one side is coming unstitched just a bit. I think it's my fault though and snagged it HARD in a briar patch the other day.

Still though, id totally buy this bag again for $30. They're building a brick and mortar Academy sports near my house and I can't wait to go buy a second one as a backup.

Is it confirmed then they have stopped making the Magellan bag? I really liked that one with a PVC frame, comfortable and had a lot of room. The bag seemed popular too.

Not really liking the new AGame bag, saw one at the store the other day and it looked a bit cheaper made.

Latest posts