• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

51 Club rules

CY I didn't know you played small metal, thats pretty cool. I haven't seen any good eagles lately though. Too bad one can't do small metal at Carroll.

PA Rules

Here in Pa, you get into the club when you ace with members of the 51 club as witnesses. After that, you get 5 for an ace and 1 for metal hit cage and above. Also you must bring in any non member who you witness them ace. All payouts are within your card and only by members of the 51 club.

It's been my experience that it's mostly old school players who still do this. Seems like the newer generation of players either don't know or don't care to play. At least that's been my experience.

It's been my experience that it's mostly old school players who still do this. Seems like the newer generation of players either don't know or don't care to play. At least that's been my experience.

To win $20 for an ace or even $5 for some metal was a big deal in days gone by. All the whippersnappers pay that for a piece of plastic these days...

Here in Pa, you get into the club when you ace with members of the 51 club as witnesses. After that, you get 5 for an ace and 1 for metal hit cage and above. Also you must bring in any non member who you witness them ace. All payouts are within your card and only by members of the 51 club.

But, what if that person has no desire to join the club? If a member witnessed my ace, everyone would be disappointed because I won't take your money and you aint gettin nothin outta me.

I've hit aces and metal but no one has paid me yet, so I am not in the 51 club. Otherwise I'd be out quite a bit, maybe even overall with some coming back. It's kind of hit or miss and mostly older school players that are in the game. Guys who have played more then 10 years. I agree it's not as popular with the kids-20 Y/O crowd.

Not really, some younger players like a cousin who is in his late 30's used to do this until those who started in 2000's stopped the tradition. In 2000's the dumb thing of others trying to force themselves to sign your disc on the underside and group try to force retirement of the disc at least for that round happened. I refused as I did not want to cause what might be a bran new disc to be defaced, I did want to though write the date of the disc on the underside and Ace after I found out that part so I know the disc. This was for all except tournaments in most situations for speed of play with signing but not and Ace Race as there people are trying for ace runs and nobody wanted to deface a disc that could be big $$ later if it was changed up for production or not produced at all.

He must have a different definition of "old school". I have no idea though, it's hard to make sense of.

To add to this post from 11 years ago... lol

My backyard course is a 9 hole with 2 tees and 2 baskets on almost every hole. I've currently got 17 baskets littered around my 10 acres. "Ace" the wrong basket out here and I consider it a "grey ace" and only think you owe a dollar. Hardly a black ace if the basket you hit is in the dang fairway! Only one player has had one stick so far, though my wife has tickled chains on two of them, including the one that got hit.

My interpretation of 51 in Dallas Fort Worth TX

$5 for an ace, (first shot, no emptying your bag at the 18th hole)
$1 for metal (basket and above)

Payout $5 to everyone on the card if you hit a "black ace" (wrong basket off the tee)

If you haven't ever been paid I don't think you are obligated to pay others. (just my thoughts)

In mini's and events that already have an ace pot, no money for an ace (unless it is a really really sick hole) but the $1 for basket and above still stands. I've been paid $5 by a guy who hit an ace on my card in a tourney and if I ever get a tourney ace I will probably follow his example.

Funny how things come full circle...I used to play with the OP back in the early 2000's, he ran the Ames, IA city league...not sure if he still dies. 51 club was fairly common at the time in central Iowa, group of 5-10 that played regularly together were definitely in. Normally if somebody "not in" hit metal or an ace everybody would be willing to pay out, but once you accepted 51 money that's what got you in unless you wanted in on your own prior to accepting money. Originally from southern Illinois and went to school at ISU, hadn't heard of dg until college. Moved back closer to home after college and sadly enough nobody in STL cares about 51...or at least the guys I presently play with.

Those were the days though, got to volunteer as a spotter for 2004 worlds...those super Rocs were a dime a dozen at the time locally...wished I stashed away a stack.

In MT it's definitely the older generation of players with a few of the youths who've been taught right sprinkled in. As mentioned above, we play cage and up. I offer if I witness, sometimes people know, sometimes they don't, sometimes they specially say they don't play 51. It's all for fun so I always keep some bag cash ready but if somebody doesn't pay out I won't offer them the cash in the future. I actually got a single from a card mate at Tuesday League for a cage hit - long live 51!

I'd be in for this if I ever carried cash :|

For #87days last summer we all brought 15 singles and a 5er. Lots of single dollars changing hands and even a couple aces to trade them "big bills".

I've been in groups that play this, when an ace has been hit, but I'd never heard of it before, and nobody informed me it was in effect. I did not pay, but offered high fives for a good throw!

I'd be much more open to something like this if people explicitly mentioned it prior to the round beginning.

However, in general, I would never think to ask someone to pay me if I hit an ace, so it always surprises when someone else thinks they're "owed" something that was never talked about prior to play. :)

I would also "opt out" prior to the round if it was brought up.

Not trying to be a spoil-sport, just being true to myself. :)

most times i've heard about playing 51 around here (DFW), it is brought up before the round. if you're playing with people and you're not sure if they do 51, bringing it up beforehand is the most fair thing to do.

i have paid out on 51 before but never hit anything. i have also not paid out when someone else did hit if they were a total a$$hole about it. if nobody mentioned 51 before the round and someone hits cage or even an ace, and then said person immediately says "you all owe me" and demands cash with an attitude, i'm gonna tell that guy to fukk off

i think of it like a bet. if we didn't agree beforehand, it's not a thing. it's different if your group knows you're in the club though.

Last edited:
I've been in groups that play this, when an ace has been hit, but I'd never heard of it before, and nobody informed me it was in effect. I did not pay, but offered high fives for a good throw!

I'd be much more open to something like this if people explicitly mentioned it prior to the round beginning.

However, in general, I would never think to ask someone to pay me if I hit an ace, so it always surprises when someone else thinks they're "owed" something that was never talked about prior to play. :)

I would also "opt out" prior to the round if it was brought up.

Not trying to be a spoil-sport, just being true to myself. :)

I had never heard of 51 until reading this thread. And I've been playing a long time.

I agree with Jukeshoe. This sounds like many of the unwritten rules in sports that drive me crazy. If it isn't written (or at least known/agreed to by all players), it's not a thing.

My group of 5-6 in DFW has an ongoing ace pot. The rules are pretty simple: $1 per round. Anyone can get in as long as they are in before the total reaches $50; after that, no new members. At least three people must be present for the round for the ace pot to be in play. First ace wins all of the cash.

All of this was explained to me when I started playing with the group, so there were no surprises.

Latest posts