55 year old seeking form feedback

yossarian

55 years old, 6-3" tall, ultimate player since 1990.
Got hooked on disc golf in March of 2022 and have played about three rounds a week since.
Joined the PDGA (#250232) and started playing tournaments in 2023.
I've watched lots of videos and done a certain amount of field work, but this is the first time recording myself and asking for feedback. Be gentle with me. :)
This throw went about 280', which is pretty good for me. I occasionally get past 300, but 250 is my typical max.

Last edited:
I'm about your age and height, and have a few more seasons on you. One of the best things for me has been following other players' form threads.

For me, there are some fundamental things I didn't get early. One was the coil. I heard "reach back", which was not a good concept for me. When the disc is loaded, your feet will be in line with the target, your hips will be at about 45° and your shoulders at about 90°. From max coil through to release you need to keep yourself centered over your COG (center of gravity). Don't let your head get behind or in front. So instead of reaching back, you coil and release while staying centered.

Try stand-still shots. Set you feet with a little offset in line with the target, and when you coil don't allow the disc to get too high at max coil. Keep it lower where your hips and COG are and slash through. Don't let your chest open up to face toward the target. That will happen as a result of the throw, but the disc will be well out of your hand by the time your body comes around. When this motion starts to gel you will feel that you lead into the brace leg with your hip.

Don't think about moving your arm quickly, but keep it loose and focus on last second acceleration.

You'll get other responses with links to video drills. Do these drills, but also think about why the drills are being suggested. Good luck. Hope that helps. You should be able to match or beat your current distance without a run-up and with much less effort.

I'm about your age and height, and have a few more seasons on you. One of the best things for me has been following other players' form threads.
Thanks @jupiterboy, appreciate the feedback. Standstill throws are a good idea. Reviewing my video I definitely see a major timing issue - I start pulling forward with my arm and opening up my hips before my plant foot even touches down.

A couple things look better than I expected. I didn't realize I had the athletic hop through my x-step, and my off arm doesn't dangle in the breeze as badly as I thought. But definitely need to fix the timing.

Looks like your camera angle is not squared up 90 degrees from tee.

You start turning backward too early and forward too early. You want to turn back later going into the plant.

Looks like your camera angle is not squared up 90 degrees from tee.
Yeah, first time doing this and realized the positioning wasn't optimal. Will fix next time.
You start turning backward too early and forward too early. You want to turn back later going into the plant.
Agreed, that's the biggest problem I see too. Thanks for the Eagle McMahon reference.

I'm pretty sure I'm turning backward too soon watching the videos. I think I'm okay forward? I'll be at the practice field tomorrow their's always something to correct.

I'm 60 and have been playing four years, and have been form building three years. A few months standstill, and a year each one step, two step, this year three step. In the spring I'll start the four step. Decided to take my time with it for muscle memory, and that memory can slumber sometimes.

always good stuff from sidewinder, I've learned a lot from him.

Progress and incremental improvements, though most of the feedback from this thread still applies. I'm getting to 300' more often, if not consistently. I recently parked #18 at my local course for the first time - 295', second half over water, and I was within 5' of the basket. 😁

I still turn my back to the target, even though I mean to keep my feet perpendicular to the target line. More "quick feet" side shuffle drills.

My reach back and pull aren't as rushed as before, but still a little too early. I'm trying to think "coil" now, and pointing my left shoulder towards the target, which helps.

I lean over into the reach back, and fall forward and right on follow-through - possibly these are related imbalances. More weight shift drills.

In the rear view I see space between the disc and my chest, so I could bring it in a little tighter.

Recent video, with side and rear views (of different shots). I should move the rear view camera a little to the left.

Latest posts