• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

7 Mold/25 Disc Limit

I kind of disagree, but at the same time I know that it would take some changes by every manufacturer to make it truly work.

Simple solution is - each mold has the disc type in the tooling, similar to what I've seen on newer discraft discs.

Less simple solution - bag checks, and just go by what can be found on the disc. Sort of like in magic: the gathering tournaments on a smaller level, TDs do deck checks but may not always know what's been reprinted from older sets, so they err in favor of the player (or look it up if there is enough time).

Yes, I did just make a MTG reference. :\

If I were to participate in a tournament like this, I'd throw:
6 PDs in various plastics and stages of wear
2 FDs, one C and one S
1 Predator

3 Comets in various plastics
2 Pain in various plastics
1 gator in champ
4 judges in various stages of wear (and various plastic when it comes out)

I wouldn't really see myself pushing a 25 disc limit at all, but 7 molds would work out just about right for me and my game.

So your solution is to eliminate all discs made before date "X" when they didn't have those numbers? IT wouldnt work unless everyone was using all discs from the same era. This would only help the DD/Lat 64 teams and the Prodigy teams :D Then you still have to police the DG companies that they aren't spreading a tooling reference # across ....blah, blah, blah..... Never gonna happen, and it just won't happen.

BTW I have about 3000 magic cards from right before revised to 4th edition and ice age. One of those 4 18" section baseball card boxes full plus another 18" baseball card box + a bunch of my favorite decks and some cards in 9 panel display sleeves... lol what a dork. I buy some from time to time but the new rules are beyond me. I have about 30 dual lands and a bunch of older rare things. I hate that they re-print things and make the old ones worth less. I guess the restricted cards dont get reprinted as often like demonic tutor, those dual lands, fork...things like that.

So your solution is to eliminate all discs made before date "X" when they didn't have those numbers? IT wouldnt work unless everyone was using all discs from the same era. This would only help the DD/Lat 64 teams and the Prodigy teams :D Then you still have to police the DG companies that they aren't spreading a tooling reference # across ....blah, blah, blah..... Never gonna happen, and it just won't happen.

Well it was my simple solution :D I think you'd have to automatically err on the players side in that case. It would take years to implement, and even longer to enforce properly. Not saying it would ever happen, but if they wanted to go that way it would 'level' the playing field so to speak, making older non-marked discs (like CE plastic, 10x aviars, the high priced boutique stuff) less desirable because everyone would have to use newer identifiable molds.

Oh, and you should send those dual lands to me...I could make good use of them for you :thmbup:

I'd be screwed. Every single disc I have in the bag is a different mold. I know they say that's bad, but that's just how my bag worked out. And I like my current set up pretty well.

Also to note, I feel like various MVP molds are so similar, they're almost the same mold. The Ion is very close to the Anode, the Axis to the Vector, and the Volt to the Amp.

I'd be screwed. Every single disc I have in the bag is a different mold. I know they say that's bad, but that's just how my bag worked out. And I like my current set up pretty well.

Also to note, I feel like various MVP molds are so similar, they're almost the same mold. The Ion is very close to the Anode, the Axis to the Vector, and the Volt to the Amp.

MVP is an interesting issue w/ mold limits. I believe I read in the "MVP Shock" thread that all of MVP's drivers share the same core, with different over-molds? Is that correct? If so, I wonder how that would play out w/ a mold limit.

My bag is very close to conforming to this & I think it would be a great rules adoption.

Here's after thinning the herd.

2 - SSS Floppy Magic
FLX Cryztal Challenger
2 - Pearly Gator
1 - Glow Gator
3 - Z Buzzz
2 - Glow Firebirds one flat, one not as much (possibly rotated for Champs)
4 - Z Nuke varying beatness (can I loophole a Nuke SS that's stamped as a Z Nuke? :)
Champ Roadrunner

Eliminated form the bag were the Rouge/Nuke SS, Rampage (will be missed the most) Blizzard Boss, Nuke OS,

My regular bag fits this description.

2 Destroyers
2 Valks
3 Eagle-Xs
1 Monster
3 Rocs (rancho)
3 KC Aviars
1 Yeti Aviar

15 discs. I'll usually carry 4-5 additional backups that I'm starting to work in the bag.

I'd agree that minimizing the number of molds in one's bag would be good for their game, but with the exception of 1-3 disc limit novelty tourneys (i.e. Ace Races, etc.) where seeing how many discs one is carrying is easy to see, any limitation set on the number discs at a tournament would not be worth the trouble of enforcing.

MVP is an interesting issue w/ mold limits. I believe I read in the "MVP Shock" thread that all of MVP's drivers share the same core, with different over-molds? Is that correct? If so, I wonder how that would play out w/ a mold limit.

Don't the mids and putters all share the same core too?

Yea well when you can throw a Buzzz 450' you don't need fairway drivers. Thats why it is a silly thing. Most mortals need all levels of discs because we can't throw them far enough or over power them.

Don't the mids and putters all share the same core too?

The mids share a core and the putters share a different core. That's no different from every other company that shares mold pieces between different discs. All the discmania drivers use the same top but it would be silly to argue that they're the same overall mold.

I can see a disc limit, say 25 discs, but not a mold limit. As some have said, too hard to enforce.

Losing discs does happen in tourneys. Holes 5, 6 and 17 at Winthrop are fairly famous for it. But like ball golf, if you lose too many discs to play, you should be done for the tourney.

We are not ball golf. But it is slightly ridiculous when a person needs 15 different drivers (whether its different molds or beat versions of the same mold) to cover all their drives on a course. This will never go into effect, but a 25 disc bag (no mold limit, that you can restock between rounds) should get any pro (let's just leave ams out for now) through any tournament on any course.

I'd suspect the majority of our pros are already under 25 discs, many of them are under 20. As for the ones who aren't, I see no issue if they want to carry all that extra weight around.

My current bag (minimized from a large Lat Pro bag) should fit these requirements.

2 x Saints
River
Flow
Trident
Obex
Core
Pure
Zone
Diamond

Whoops...that is 9 molds.

I could drop the Core (close enough to my Pure) and Diamond (close enough to my River).

I would carry a very light weight GL River and a heavy Opto though. And might would add a Zero Pure to go with the GL.