• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A defense of discing down

Distance is great on open courses, but as tree jammed as the courses are here in New England accuracy is ten times more important. Who cares how far you can drive if you have no shot because you are not in the ten foot wide fairway?
You're more likely to be in the fairway and land where you want if you have the power to throw slower discs at 80% rather than faster discs at 100% just to make it there. Accuracy is always important, but throwing farther by improving form increases both distance and accuracy.

I'm thinking I should make a video of myself playing a round, and explaining what Lithi and I are talking about.

Because I have learned to throw slow discs fairly long, it has allowed me to increase my consistancy and control.
For instance, at a local doubles league last night, we got to a hole that is roughly 340' and slighly downhill. Everyone ahead of me were throwing drivers out to the right and trying to predict the fade. A couple were having to rely on flex shots, which are even more difficult to control. I didn't have to worry about either. I simply put a bit of hyzer on an Aviar and let it cruise directly to the pin. The Aviar is easier to control as I don't have to be as exact with the amount of hyzer I put on the disc. A putter won't react to the hyzer much, it pretty much just stays on line.

Keep believing that noobs can throw a (insert newest fad disc here) and make it work correctly! :thmbup:

Hey, if the noobs are having fun throwing (insert newest fad disc here) then it's working correctly. Why do people here love to dictate what people should or shouldn't be throwing.

No fun reading something that makes little to no sense at all

Sorry Nate, I don't cater to those that are mentally challenged to the point of complete ignorance, such as yourself. :thmbup:

Ps. lern 2 engrish

Hey, if the noobs are having fun throwing (insert newest fad disc here) then it's working correctly. Why do people here love to dictate what people should or shouldn't be throwing.
The assumption is that anyone reading the advice wants to improve. If they don't they wouldn't be out looking for advice.

Discing down is offense, not defense.

Well said, madam. Well said.

I also think the Tee Bird has the most true distance potential in the right players hands. True Distance meaning no desert winds and finesse or hooking it in the wind and just pure raw power and snap

This is what I have observed as well.

The assumption is that anyone reading the advice wants to improve. If they don't they wouldn't be out looking for advice.

Of course, we have to assume the poster in question isn't an @$$ looking to troll a thread because they think discing down is stupid/useless/for nerds/gay/etc. :rolleyes:

Often, fools mock what they cannot comprehend.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about what people are throwing. But, when someone asks me for advice, and they are throwing a Destroyer only 300'repeatedly, I will tell them to ditch the Destroyer and buy a TL. If you don't want advice, then don't ask for it.

Quick threadjack question- why would the tb have more true distance potential over an avenger? Avenger is easily longer with less effort and hold a very simillar flight.

Quick threadjack reply- most of us definatly get ur points (more d = more control), but since I'm doing this at only about 350, it doesn't seem nessecary to post about it.

I'm just curious, but I see you do this often after I post? is this a coincidence, or am I that hard to understand? I'm sure my edumacation is terrible, but I didn't realize I had that hard of a time explaining things so people could understand it?

*correction* It's usually more like what happened in this thread. I'll say something, someone takes it the wrong way, or they understood but made a comment that you can't tell if they understood or not. Then you'll usually come back and explain it. Lol. It's weird....

I'm just curious, but I see you do this often after I post? is this a coincidence, or am I that hard to understand? I'm sure my edumacation is terrible, but I didn't realize I had that hard of a time explaining things so people could understand it?

*correction* It's usually more like what happened in this thread. I'll say something, someone takes it the wrong way, or they understood but made a comment that you can't tell if they understood or not. Then you'll usually come back and explain it. Lol. It's weird....

You miss spelled edjumacation... lol

Lol, I've seen it both ways. Guess it just depends on how bad you want to get your point across. Or I'm just retarded.

Discing Down--My Theory

Boy I could go for a very long time on this one, but here we go.

I currently own an I-dye Champion Rhyno and a Star Rhyno that I can throw about 225 feet without turn over pretty consistently.

Here's an on-course situation to consider I had recently and was questioned on rather fiercely: I've got a 300 foot level shot into a pin that allows any kind of throw needed. Now, I usually max out on mid range distance around the 275 foot mark. I have no fairway drivers and the drivers I have are as follows: Pro Boss, 2xR-Pro Boss, Champ Ape, Pro Destroyer, Pro Katana, Champ Groove. This particular day, I'm having an average throwing day distance wise. I decide that all I need to throw is a solid Roc (R-Pro) and I'm set. The throw lands about 25 feet past the pin, and I got rocked on for throwing a mid-range. The entire group said that a skipping driver was a better option. This is also a group that I'm killing at the moment. I ask why that over a mid-range that is most likely gonna be short, and they argue that I should be playing aggressively.

I will confess that sometimes I do play a bit risky, but I don't care what situation I would have been in score wise on that shot, be it behind, tied, or ahead, I'm not gonna change tactics.

I am an amateur, and the most common theme I see is trying to hole every single shot thrown. That's a horsepoop strategy in my book. I'd rather be draining 20 foot putts than throwing $20 discs in the water. I can throw long mid-ranges with control because I play several rounds without the drivers (and I play some LONG courses). If you're truly serious about getting better, try playing at least one round a week WITHOUT the drivers and see how much more you think about each shot. Plus, you might find yourself shooting LOWER scores. Example: I played a round against someone using a full bag and they were just throwing it 3 miles past me. I just stuck to my 250-275' shots and won by 5 shots that day.

I think I've ranted long enough. I might be an amateur, but I learned from a mid-range mastermind the value of the 250' foot throw.

Quick threadjack question- why would the tb have more true distance potential over an avenger? Avenger is easily longer with less effort and hold a very simillar flight.

Quick threadjack reply- most of us definatly get ur points (more d = more control), but since I'm doing this at only about 350, it doesn't seem nessecary to post about it.

Which goes farther for you, an Avenger or a Gazelle?

Boy I could go for a very long time on this one, but here we go.

I currently own an I-dye Champion Rhyno and a Star Rhyno that I can throw about 225 feet without turn over pretty consistently.

Here's an on-course situation to consider I had recently and was questioned on rather fiercely: I've got a 300 foot level shot into a pin that allows any kind of throw needed. Now, I usually max out on mid range distance around the 275 foot mark. I have no fairway drivers and the drivers I have are as follows: Pro Boss, 2xR-Pro Boss, Champ Ape, Pro Destroyer, Pro Katana, Champ Groove. This particular day, I'm having an average throwing day distance wise. I decide that all I need to throw is a solid Roc (R-Pro) and I'm set. The throw lands about 25 feet past the pin, and I got rocked on for throwing a mid-range. The entire group said that a skipping driver was a better option. This is also a group that I'm killing at the moment. I ask why that over a mid-range that is most likely gonna be short, and they argue that I should be playing aggressively.

I will confess that sometimes I do play a bit risky, but I don't care what situation I would have been in score wise on that shot, be it behind, tied, or ahead, I'm not gonna change tactics.

I am an amateur, and the most common theme I see is trying to hole every single shot thrown. That's a horsepoop strategy in my book. I'd rather be draining 20 foot putts than throwing $20 discs in the water. I can throw long mid-ranges with control because I play several rounds without the drivers (and I play some LONG courses). If you're truly serious about getting better, try playing at least one round a week WITHOUT the drivers and see how much more you think about each shot. Plus, you might find yourself shooting LOWER scores. Example: I played a round against someone using a full bag and they were just throwing it 3 miles past me. I just stuck to my 250-275' shots and won by 5 shots that day.

I think I've ranted long enough. I might be an amateur, but I learned from a mid-range mastermind the value of the 250' foot throw.

I still think you're missing the point of discing down.

Which goes farther for you, an Avenger or a Gazelle?

Avenger for sure. It also goes further then a tbird for me- which is why I'm confused when folks claim the tb has the most true d potential. Avengers have a very simillar flight, just longer with the same effort.

basically what true distance potential is relating to is when a disc like a tee bird or a gazelle or an Eagle is able to hold a true line without any wiggle or High Speed turn......since the valkyrie many have been gaining distance from the excessive glide and turn....these discs will only go further if thrown under the right conditions and some degree of skill and finesse and proper conditions are needed to make these fly far. A tee bird can just flat out bomb if given enough snap pull and power.....just ask pros like Brinster and Climo